Sony reissuing the Miles Davis “complete” series....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Was told ten days ago my order was in the final stage of fulfillment. Has it shipped yet? No. Color me shocked.

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I cannot believe I received my order based on the horror stories being posted. I pre-ordered back when these were first announced. Hope everyone receives their outstanding items. Music Today is operating one major cluster f*** these days.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Which one(s)?

4. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Is there any reason to hang on to my standard OTC CD now that I have this set?

Erik B. likes this.
  5. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

If you have the 1993 CD, then you should compare the mastering and decide whether the difference is important to you.

Erik B. likes this.
  6. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

Mine is the Canadian Columbia/Legacy CD from 2000. I quite liked the sound of the box, so I don't see turning to the old version very often if at all...

frightwigwam likes this.
  7. Radiophonic_

I just emailed to cancel my order. I’m waiting for the “but we just shipped them!!!” email in response.

misteranderson likes this.
  8. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Well, all the negative comments here saved me a ton of money. I didn't and won't buy any of the boxes. I'm too impatient. When I pay, I don't want to wait more than a few days, lol.

9. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For the car.

For ease of playing.

Erik B. likes this.
  10. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

My Jack Johnson box from Music Today just got delivered. In a Silent Way and Davis/Coltrane boxes still showing as "in progress".

frightwigwam likes this.
  11. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

I now have all these sets, though the JC and the 2nd quartet ones are those book- style releases rather than the metal edged things.

Which brings me to my question- this is as good a thread as any to ask - those book-style sets - how on earth do you get the cds to stay in place without risking snapping them? You know - where there are 3 discs kinda on top of each other or overlapping a bit on the inside covers...

Am I being stupid? Terrifies me every time I try to insert a disc or take one out.

12. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

The trick is to push down on the disc a bit. Not how you would a normal CD. Not down towards the back of the case. I mean down towards the bottom of the case. This clears the disc from the top 2 tabs and it'll lift out.

But those book sets are the stupidest arrangement of cds ever seen. Bound to scratch them. Horrible things.

frankfan1, Tom B and frightwigwam like this.
  13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

"
    Well well! just got a shipping notification - all three are on their way, Jack Johnson, On the Corner, and Silent Way!

"So now we play the waiting game
    …..
    Aw, the waiting game sucks! Let's play hungry hungry hippos!"
    -Homer

14. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I just got shipping confirmation for mine as well, IASW, JJ, and OTC ordered mid-April. Honestly, I’m astonished it wasn’t cancelled. Ah well, expected 8 weeks delivery time to Australia so I’ll be checking in again then. Looking forward to being able to shift my focus of conversation from shipping woes to the content of these boxes.

15. Radiophonic_

After a week, their "customer service" finally responded to tell me that I can't cancel the order because it's still in the final stage of shipping and that makes it "very difficult" to cancel. I can send everything back once it arrives (LOL, sure) if I really want to get my money back. What a company! Never again.

SlimLee, misteranderson and Erik B. like this.
  16. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Ordered April 30th, recieved shippng note today, July 10th!
    Yay!

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  17. Radiophonic_

Shockingly, they weren’t kidding. Received a shipping notice earlier today. I am seriously surprised.

Erik B. and Dreaddazzman like this.
  18. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

They’re well worth the wait ;)

Ray29, Erik B. and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

They did two versions of some of those book sets. The ones where the discs overlap, and then taller book where the discs have individual trays.

I'm sure they overlap books were the"budget" version if I recall correct, and retailed for less than £20.

I actually like the look of the book version on the shelf. And the discs are ripped to a hard drive for playing.

Duckman likes this.
  20. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

After I sold my three metal spine Complete sets (because I preferred the original album sequencing), I bought the second quintet's book re-issue. These budget re-issue box sets ARE a nightmare, with those crazy trays:realmad:. At a certain stage I bough some spare fatboy jewell cases that can hold six cd's, only to discover those are horrible as well. My conclusion, boxed sets don't like me.

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Album Quintet 1965-68 - The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings Of The Miles Davis Quintet January 1965 To June 1968, Miles Davis | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

$42, instant access, didn't have to rip anything, and don't have a box I'm never going to look at again taking up space I don't have on a shelf.

Even after digitizing my collection, I used to save all my jewel cases & booklets in boxes, telling my wife I needed them because there might come a day where I'd pull out thousands of CD and spend a weekend reading booklets.

She'd ask me every year for about fifteen years if I had taken them out and read them yet. :D Every year, the answer was no, until last year when they all went bye-bye.

CBackley and sharedon like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I think this might be the wrong thread for you.

ispace likes this.
  23. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Awww...don't be so defensive....it's a forum...I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad about their purchase.

I wanted this set because I never got it the last time. I ended up not buying a physical copy after reading some of the horror stories in this thread, but it made me reminisce about many cd-buying adventures, which then led me to thinking about all of my old jewel cases and booklets.

I feel fortunate to have found a legal, lossless version, and shared it as an alternative.

jeffsab likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks. I think a few of these sets are available as official downloads although personally I would love 24/94 or 24/192 flac files. I have enough room for physical sets at the moment but space is running out!

25. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Paraphrasing what Uncle George Carlin says, our homes merely provide more places for our stuff!

Pretty sure that they have most, if not all, of these sets available as lossless .FLAC files on Qobuz. Know for certain they have the Jack Johnson set, as I just bought that also, and I saw OtC & IASW while shopping. I was not able to find the Bitches Brew set.

A bit OT, frustratingly, ESP & Nefertiti are the only two albums from the Second Great Quintet not currently available in high-res, though, I would love a remastered version of this set available, as well. I really wish digital files of the MFSL SACDs would be made available for purchase.

Okay, apologies, back to everyone's shipping reports...carry on, then..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    frightwigwam, Ray29 and Flaming Torch like this.