Sony STR-AV900 Amp Audio Spectrum Visualizer 'Buzzing'

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thnkgreen, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

I have an older Sony amplifier/receiver model STR-AV900. With no music playing, the visualizer displays activity and I don't know why. Anyone have an idea what causes this sort of thing to happen? My first thought is the electricity coming from the surge protector. I recorded a few seconds so you can see what the unit is doing. Thanks.

2. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Very hard to tell. Might wanna try in a different outlet or part of the house. If it does the same, maybe a loose connection in the LED board. Not sure if anyone fixes it in that situation...

3. thnkgreen

Thank you, I will try a different outlet

4. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Also try unplugging all sources from the receiver and check it out.

thnkgreen likes this.
  5. harby

harby Forum Resident

My spectrum analysis says something different.

[​IMG]

My first thought is failure of power supply components in the unit. I would confirm no change with different input selections.

6. thnkgreen

I disconnected all equipment from the amplifier and plugged it up to a different outlet. Notice how the "buzz" comes and goes when I lift the unit off the ground and then sit it back down.

7. harby

harby Forum Resident

Do you have the capability to open it up, fix cold solders, check all the interconnecting cables? This isn't going to fix itself..

8. thnkgreen

No :cry: I don't really have any electronic experience. I guess I could open it up and see if there are any loose wires. I have done some soldering in the past but never on a receiver.

9. thnkgreen

An update! I opened the unit this morning and detached the front panel (three plugs - brown, black, white). There was a fair amount of dust throughout the inside. I blew it out with a canned air duster, reassembled and the jumping ‘buzzing’ visualizer issue is no more. Glad it was an easy fix! Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.