SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I still have the same problem from time to time and my solution is to spray some compressed air into the fan. I can't say for sure why this should make much of a difference but it does.

I first developed this problem over a year ago and while the tech was out replacing my optical block we discussed it. He sold me a new fan and was going to put it in, but also mentioned the air shots. I figured it was pointless to change out the fan which worked most of the time when I could just blow some air into it. I also figured the new fan would still do the same thing over time. I kept the fan so I could replace it in the future if I ever needed to.

When my bulb went out last month I had a service tech come out. I didn't realize how easy it was to get to the bulb so figured I'd pay the tech to take off the back cover and I'd replace the fan at the same time.

Well he changed the bulb (which I had ordered from Sony) and when he powered up the set I went back to the flashing lights. This tech didn't know about the fan issue and told me I had a major issue and it would cost a fortune to fix. He said he'd get back to me with an estimate.

He decided to not charge me a penny since he didn't do anything. He said putting the new bulb in would be a bad move since it would likely blow again due to what he thought was a major problem. He put the old bulb back in and left.

As soon as he left I reinstalled the new bulb and had the blinking lights again. I sprayed some air into the fan vents and the TV came to life instantly. Now I keep a can of compressed air right next to the fan for whenever I have this issue. I've had it twice in the last month and both times the air did the trick.

Btw, after the first tech came out and didn't replace the fan, I had no troubles for over 6 months. Once I did I sprayed the fan and the trouble went away.

Not sure this is the same exact problem you have, but a can of compressed air is not expensive. Give it a try.

Oh one more thing. When my bulb went out, it took a week to get a new one sent. Since it is basketball playoff time and the Padre games are in HD I was in a bind. I went out and bought a Samsung 46" LCD TV and stuck it in front of the SXRD. My thought was that once I got the SXRD back I'd put the Sammy up in the bedroom.

Well the Sammy looks nice, but does not compare to the SXRD. Not only are the blacks better, but the face tones are much better. In fact everything about the SXRD picture is better than the LCD. This was a pretty good LCD as well. That said, it's just fine for the bedroom. I usually have my glasses off while watching it in bed and that makes the differences insignificant.

Btw, it's nice having a 46" HDTV in the bedroom. I hadn't watched TV up there in a long time since getting my bedroom Squeezebox, but now I've reverted back to the TV. Well maybe that's just a phase. Time will tell.

2. budd7781

budd7781 New Member

red light blinking problem

any one with this red light blinking 4 times problem it is a fan problem (usually the large fan on the back left) and i fixed mine with a simple can of air spray. i used the air spray to clean out the moving parts of the fans. i sprayed the fans then used a vacum. my tv was not working for 3 weeks and it has now been problem free and running great for over a month now.

3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

My set developed the 4 red blinking light problem last night. I was out at The Eagles concert and the kids must have been watching the TV. When I got in I saw the red blinking lights (they had gone to bed).

Since I just had the bulb replaced recently, I'll go out and buy some compressed air and see if that does the trick.

LOST in HD is on tonight. Yikes!

4. JohnG

ok....bought 2 cans of air duster at Staples and voila! it worked. TV's back on....fan is whirring!

Thanks for the tip. :)

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I hope you guys are right that it's only the fan..
    If you recall from last year on this thread I had four blinking lights on my first SXRD, they changed the bulb and fan twice and never found the problem. Circuit City finally gave me a new one after threatening to sue. No problem so far with the replacement....

6. JohnG

I guess it worth keeping a can around and spray the fan vents every month and vacuum around also.

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Totally agree!!! It's so sad that don't make them anymore.

8. JohnG

I'm gonna try and keep my SXRD going as long as I can. I still have 2 years left on my warranty but after that it will just be a matter of time.

The air duster solution is a god send.

9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Yeah, who would have thunk it.

What doesn't make sense is that the fan does not seem to stop moving. Apparently the dust is enough to slow it down enough to cause the failure.

I still have my spare fan, which I paid almost $100.00 for. What a rip. It looks like a $20.00 fan. OTOH, the only other thing I've actually paid for is a new bulb ($249), and my SXRD still looks like new.

I'm pretty sure the new fan would do the same thing given time. Why bother replacing it if I can continue to blow it out?

10. JohnG

The air can trick worked for awhile last night but then the TV quit in the middle of LOST.

So I called PC Richards today and a tech will come out Monday and replace that rear fan.

And so it goes with a SXRD.

11. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Sorry to hear that John.

I'd not give up on the air so quickly. Sometimes it takes a few tries and lots of air shots.

My fan has been acting up for well over a year but it's been fine for a few weeks since the last air shot. Once it was trouble free for over 6 months.

It's sure a strange situation to say the least.

My guess is a new fan will work for a while but eventually suffer the same fate.

Best of luck to you.

12. That is such an amazing statement for a TV that cost - depending on the time of purchase - from about $2k on up.

I'm very sorry to hear of all the troubles a lot of you seem to be having but I am thankful that you've posted them here as it kept me from purchasing this particular model.

13. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well the bottom line is that I'm very glad I bought this set and almost bought a second before they were discontinued. True they do have issues, but it's all about the picture. I also hope to keep mine running as long as possible.

Who knows? Maybe there will be something that looks better to me down the road.

14. Oh I've seen the picture on these sets and it is fantastic! I just think it's almost comical that a $2k + set requires you to keep a can of air spray around to keep it working. I mean, if I had a $20 toaster that required me to spray it with compressed air every so often, I'd be pissed! Let alone an expensive TV!

15. JohnG

an update:

the TV tech just left confirming that the large fan is the culprit. He got the TV going but it just shut down again after being on for 30 minutes.

They have to order that part so it will be a few more days. :(

16. poidog

poidog Senior Member

Do all of the SXRD's have this fan problem or is it just certain models?
    There are still a few hanging around, and I would love to get one, but I couldn't deal with the issues.

17. JohnG

I think they eventually have a "fan" problem.

The three biggest negatives to a SXRD is 1) the green blob ( a replacement of the OB fixes that) 2) the rear fan acts up shutting down the TV 3) the bulb eventually goes after about 2 years.

Other than that its a great TV :D
    Best picture ever on a big screen.

I'm willing to put up with the negatives because I bought a 5 year warranty with the store and they are responsive with fixing the problems.

Once that warranty ends though I will be up the creek without a paddle.

Then it will be time for a new TV. A Samsung LED possibly? :)

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Well I got a Samsung LCD as a temp replacement for the SXRD until I resloved my issues and then it went into the bedroom. There is no comparision with the pictures between the two. The Samsung looks fine until you put it next to the SXRD.

Also, much like audio gear, a side by side comparision or XY testing does not tell nearly as much as having it gone for a few weeks and then having it back. As soon as you see the picture you remember all the good qualities which were subtly missing when watching the Samsung.

When my Threshold amp had to go back to Nelson in the early 80's it was the same thing. I didn't notice a huge change until it came back and I once again was hearing the minute differences that made me love it in the first place.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I continue to be amazed at how BluRays look on my SXRD. Sound quality is decent as well.

20. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

I've had my 60" SXRD for 17 months and have had no problems (knocks on wood). I might try the compressed air though as a preventative.

21. JohnG

update:

The tech came yesterday and replaced the rear fan. All is well. Nice to have the TV back in service so I could see the Belmont race.

22. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Had to change the bulb in my TV for the second time in less than two years. :( $325! Ouch!

23. JohnG

I bought a spare bulb from Sony but my warranty stll has 2 years to go.

24. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I just had to replace the bulb on my 1-3/4 year old SXRD. I hadn't realized how dim the old bulb was getting until I replaced. The picture looks incredible now. I will probably get a spare bulb in about a year. Since the bulb went out last week during the Olympics I paid the $250 list price from a local dealer so I wouldn't miss any days of watching the Olympics.

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, quite different. It's almost too bright now. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.