Sony TA-2000 - how much residual noise to expect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 62vauxhall, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the next day or two, I will be obtaining a Sony TA-2000 (not the "F" version) pre-amp. This is the result of trading in some other items I have no real use for and consider the move as paring things down a bit. I have been curious about these Sony pre-amps for a couple of years and am attracted by their appearance plus they are not commonly found and from reading, seem to be somewhat desirable.

The pre-amp I have primarily been using since mid 2015 has been an APT Holman which I like very much both the sonic character and versatility. Adopting the Sony will require one of the signal routers on hand in order to accommodate all or most of what I have plugged into the Holman.

One thing about the Holman which I thought remarkable was how quiet it was. I have yet to "audition" the Sony but intend on listening for how much noise is present when on phono with no sources connected and volume at full.

I was wondering if any here would know or maybe speculate on what I will hear when I do this.

It will be by ear, without test equipment.

2. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident Thread Starter

The shop involved in the transaction was very busy when I visited so no opportunity to "try before I buy". But the TA-2000 d0es have a 6 month warranty attached to it.

After temporary hookup of the TA-2000 at home to a spare power amp, there is some, not a lot, but some, hiss on phono in at max volume. Not dead silent like the Holman but better than others I've tried this with. The same can't be said for the headphone amp though. I found it quite noisy.

But be that as it may, it will do. In any case, I'm exasperated attempting to clean the APT Holman's input source selector contacts so will install this TA-2000 during the next week or so.

I have yet to take a look inside but operating it's switches feels like they are of "industrial quality".

The Holman, I shall take to a tech I know to see if he has any tricks in his bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.