Sony TC-W235 Cassette Deck Missing Power Cord?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thnkgreen, Dec 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Thank you. I will look into this

2. harby

harby Forum Resident

"Transfer your old tapes!" - unless they are Dolby C, Dolby S. Manual chrome tape switch.
    Record as long as you don't want metal tapes or any noise reduction, or HX Pro, or bias or level calibration. The audio specs are below the 1986 Sony discussed here.

They don't make 'em like they used to...and they don't make the tape, either.

3. thnkgreen

Ok, so I've decided "screw it, let's see if I can get the Sony TC-W235 to run". Here are some photos of the system control board from inside the unit.

[​IMG]
    IMG 0839 — Postimages

[​IMG]
    IMG 0840 — Postimages

I am going to try to solder the wiring to my amplifier and see if it works, but I don't want to leave it this way long term. Just an experiment. I understand the advice about using an AC transformer, and may go that route eventually.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  4. thnkgreen

Fortunately (unfortunately, actually) I do not own any old tapes. At one time I had a box full of songs I recorded in high school, as well as a cassette of me interviewing my grandmother about her life, all of which I threw away and would give just about anything to have back. Oh well. I'm just going to buy some blanks and make a few mix tapes for my nephews. The sound doesn't even have to be audiophile. Heck, when I was listening to the Beatles on cassette back in the 80's the tape hiss I encountered was epic.

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Just remember, you've GOT to know what voltage should be supplied to each of those wires... the board in the deck would normally be connected to a transformer, so not 120V AC. Not sure where on your amp you plan to connect to besides the RCA cables.

6. thnkgreen

rcsrich likes this.
  7. harby

harby Forum Resident

You'll want to connect at the pin 1,3,5 traces right as they exit to the connector, after the resistors. For a permanent installation, desolder the connector to re-use those PCB holes, tie a knot in your three wires inside the chassis, and put a zip tie before the knot so wires can't be yanked loose through the hole from either end.

Looks like the "power supply" board is only attached by the connector's screw, so you might have to find another place to mount it internally, or drill another hole for the wires to exit.

rcsrich likes this.
  8. thnkgreen

Thank you :thumbsup:

Is this a good wire to use?
    https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Ele...d=1&keywords=20ag+wire&qid=1607630176&sr=8-20

I was also wondering if Amazon sells a 3-pin connector you might recommend, so I can attach/detach the tape deck from the receiver

Anything here...
    Amazon.com : 3 pin male female connector

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

If the wire is for soldering and connecting between the components (and not specifically for jamming into the connector pin holes), rather, I would recommend a round three-conductor stranded copper cord, much like a thin power cord (if you've got an extra, just cut off both ends).

That would also allow you to drill a hole in the chassis, and use a wire-clamping strain relief grommet:
    [​IMG]

If one wanted to be super-fancy, you could put your own unique power connector on the back of the receiver or in-line (the linked one takes up to a 0.35 inch diameter cord). For thinner wires, this one.

10. Andrewjohn007

Andrewjohn007 New Member

I was just cleaning out the garage at my parent’s place and came across the complete Sony rack system. Tuner, amp, cassette player, phono and the system connect cable.

I am potentially interested in keeping the amp, but could be talked out of it... I’d be happy to part with the rest, including the system cable of it would help someone out.

Andrew

11. connorman95

connorman95 Forum Resident

How's it sound? I found a similar unit at the end of someones driveway in my neighborhood. But it only has the amp, the tuner and even the cabnet with some paperwork. The cassette deck is a TC-W295 though. I had to replace the belts. But it sounds awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.