Sony to release 15 Bob Dylan hybrid SACDs!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

2. KeithH

Here are the 15 Dylan titles that will be release as hybrid SACDs:

* Free Wheelin'

* Another Side of Bob Dylan

* Bringing It All Back Home

* Highway 61 Revisited

* John Wesley Harding

* Nashville Skyline

* Blood On The Tracks

* Desire

* Slow Train Coming

* Infidels

* Oh Mercy

* Time Out Of Mind

* Love and Theft

* Royal Albert Hall

* Street Legal

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

That does it. Forget the tonearm upgrade for now, I'm buying an SACD player instead!
    :goodie: :cheers:

Dan C

4. KeithH

Dan, atta boy! The news on the SACD front is huge.

By the way, Sony will also supposedly be releasing these titles as single-layer SACDs (stereo and multi-channel tracks):

* Aerosmith Toys In The Attic

* James Taylor Flag

* James Taylor Dad Loves His Work

5. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Did I miss something? Whereas it wouldn't take much to surpass the sound of the standard issues, is there any guarantee that just because they're SACDs they're going to sound good? Here's hoping they're mastered properly.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

It's about time Sony takes advantage of their own format. Not really a Dylan fan but I'm glad to see these discs and am relieved they're going to be hybrids. Maybe they're finally ready for SACD sales to take off.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

My sentiments, too.

Many of us have been anticipating the re-issue of the Dylan catalog, done along the lines of the Byrds remasters, which most people seem to agree were done well (good sound, liner notes, bonus tracks). We've been told that the delay had to do with, among other things, Dylan wanting to do the liner notes, etc. So, I wonder whether the Dylan SACD hybrids will use the Byrds remasters template or the recent Rolling Stones Abkco (i.e., no bonus tracks, no liner notes, etc.).

Jim W.

8. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Exactly. Sounds like ABKCO all over again. The general consensus on the recent Stones ABKCO threads was that fans' needs were met just because of improved sound [debatable] and the inclusion of a hi-rez layer. As regards these new Dylan issues, what about the inclusion of appropriate bonus tracks added to each album instead of the hi-rez layer? Now THAT would be something to get excited about.

9. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I can't believe it! Yippee! I gotta start saving change now.

It's good to see that Sony is actually gonna start releasing some Hybrids of their own. Things will really start to pick up fast in the SACD world.

Thanks you Sony! (And Bob?)

10. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

No room for the mono versions on these discs? Damn.

11. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

this is good to hear... I am looking forward to it

12. It's about time that Sony finally releases something in the hybrid format for us folks that don't have and cannot afford an SACD player.

13. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's great news. One thing I'm wondering about is did Sony actually locate the original mastertapes for "Nashville Skyline"? I'd heard that the original tapes were missing and that Sony had been scouring their vaults for years trying to find them. Anyone know for sure?

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm sure full details will follow. I'm excited!:cool:

15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I just hope that we'll get the original mono or stereo (preferably both!) mixes on SACD. If there's room, by all means include a re-mix, but PLEASE let's get the originals :(.

16. KeithH

It wouldn't surprise me if Sony released bonus tracks, as they have been doing that with many of their SBM-remastered CDs. The other thing is that we don't know if Sony will be releasing remastered Dylan CDs along with the hybrid SACDs. Will Sony release the Dylan hybrids like ABKCO did the Stones remasters, meaning have no standard CD counterparts, or will Sony handle the hybrids like labels generally handle hybrids, meaning release a standard CD as well? Whatever Sony does, hopefully all Dylan remasters will have bonus tracks. It would be a real pain if remastered CDs had bonus tracks and hybrid SACDs did not.* O.K., I'm getting ahead of myself here. :)

*This has happened before. The remastered CD of Billie Holiday Lady in Satin has bonus tracks, but the current multi-channel SACD does not. The original stereo SACD had the bonus tracks, but they were left off the multi-channel SACD for some reason.

17. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

1. There will just by hybrid releases with no new CD only remasters.

2. There is more than enough room to include both the mono and stereo mixes on the SACD layer of these disks.

Everyone who knows anyone must immediately lobby Sony Music and Bob's management to include both the stereo and mono mixes on the SACD layer through Blond on Blond since those mixes were the primary focus of attention back then and are unique and often more carefully mixed then the stereo versions. This could be the killer SACD application if Sony Music is not brain dead. I know Bob's management want the mono versions out there since they asked SUNDAZED to release those on vinyl last year.

Richard.

18. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Good news indeed but what about Blonde On Blonde?

19. KeithH

kipper15, I thought the same thing. I guess Sony is not focusing on Blonde on Blonde right now since it is already available as a single-layer stereo SACD.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

You won't need a CD only version. Hybrids are better, they'll put SACDs in the hands of more people, most of which won't even know it. But that's the brilliant part, if they get interested in SACD someday they'll already have discs to play. This may entice them to get a player.

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'm puzzled by Sony continuing the single layer only SACD's for some titles - compatible 2 layer discs for cd palyers could only generate more sales, rather than the single SACD layer, nobody knows where to stock them discs...

22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Why did Sony make this announcement 8 months in advance? The article in the link provided at the beginning of this thread said that the discs would be released in the fall. Why announce now for a September (or later) release?

23. lil.fred

lil.fred SeƱor Sock

Already on SACD.

24. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Of course but that's not a hybrid disc is it?

25. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Exactly. Sony now has the chance to rectify that and give us a decent remastered hybrid SACD/redbook disc for those of us who don't have or don't want to buy a SACD player at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.