SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Yes, but only through the HDMI out. It would be great if the X-800 could do DSD-over-PCM.

Doc Diego likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm not sure what you mean by DSD over PCM. I've heard of DSD being converted to PCM but not DSD over PCM.

3. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

This? ;)

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'd just buy as PS3 off Craigslist for $75, upgrade the hard drive and let her rip! But sorry, no flac.

5. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Lots of positive talk and I don’t wanna rain on the parade. BUT, I am no longer happy.

My x-800 replaced an oppo 105. For a few weeks I was very pleased. The PQ was great! It was fast, the apps worked well. For three weeks we watched 4k disc’s, streamed Netflix and Prime... now, it locks up constantly. Sometimes it shuts power off, sometimes it indefinitely buffers. The only fix each time is unplugging and waiting over a minute and then plugging it back in. We can not get through even one 45 min program without it locking up.

I replaced the new premium 4k certified HDMI cables with new 4k certified cables to get the same result. I’ve checked firmware.. did hard restarts, turned 24fp off.. I’ve done it all. Conclusion, it’s junk. I’m done.

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

No mention of SACD or DVD-Audio with that new Sony. That's not good...

8. tootull

Noticed it plays SACD. & no mention of DVD-A.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. Do not use USB so wasn't aware of DoP standard. Very interesting, learn something every day here :).

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Surely it's still under warranty if you only got a few weeks of good use out of it. Send it in for warranty repair if the return window to the merchant where you bought it is closed.

I will say that mine has some glitches as well, but nothing on the order of what you are experiencing. I did buy a "refurbished" unit so I have just decided to accept the glitches I have encountered, the worst of which is a very occasional drop in the audio signal when playing music. If it happened with greater frequency I would go through the hassle of warranty service, but for something I've only encountered a few times in six months I've just decided to ignore it along with the occasional dvd playback problems I've had.

11. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

DoP can also be used with coaxial SPDIF output.

12. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Full specs for th new UBP-X700 can be found here - Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Player | UBP-X700

DISC
    BD-RE,
    BD-RE Dual Layer,
    BD-ROM,
    CD (CD-DA),
    CD-R/-RW,
    DVD+R,
    DVD+R Double Layer,
    DVD+RW,
    DVD-R,
    DVD-R Dual Layer,
    DVD-RW,
    DVD-Video,
    SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback,
    Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5),
    Ultra HD Blu-ray™

VIDEO FORMAT
    AVCHD Disc Format,
    HEVC, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi),
    MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg, .MPEG, .mkv).VOB, .VRO,
    MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS (.mpg, .MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv).VOB, .VRO,
    MPEG-4/AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv),
    MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts),
    VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv),
    VP6,
    VP8,
    VP9,
    WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv),
    Xvid (.avi, .mkv)

AUDIO FORMAT
    AAC (.AAC, .mka),
    AIFF (.aiff, .aif),
    ALAC (.m4a),
    Dolby® Digital (.ac3, .mka),
    DSD - DSDIFF/DSD (.dff, .dsf),
    FLAC (.flac, .fla),
    HEAAC v.1/v.2/level2,
    LPCM (.mka),
    Mokey’s Audio,
    Vorbis,
    WMA10 Pro,
    WMA9 Standard (.WMA)

PHOTO FORMAT
    BMP (.bmp),
    GIF (.gif),
    JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg),
    MPO MPF 3D (.mpo),
    PNG (.png),
    WEBP (.webp)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  13. Funky54

14. Funky54

I bought it and it stayed in the box for about 3 months before I installed it (I was building a custom rack and life got in the way delaying the completion) so its about 4 maybe 5 months old. I can probably still return it.. but it is a lot of work swapping it in and out, programming other devices... I just dont want to go throug it again. If I remove it, I’d like to try for a refund... if no go, I’ll get a replacement and sell it on eBay. One things for sure, when it comes out my trust is gone, and a new one will not go back in. I think at this point, I’ll go Panny and forget Sony. They just lost my TV business too. I was just about to replace my 60” plasma with a new 65” 940 Sony..

I dont mind problems. But I like a company that is there for you. Calculating their odds and just sending me another junk piece is not “standing behind you product” No additional firmware no admittance...or even attempt to fix this issue. Nope. I know they are a big company. Its hard to do customer service when your big. Your a tanker or cruise ship, when you need to zig and zag you have too much momentum. That’s why Oppo customer service is so good. They are a jet ski at this point. They have a unit that is plagued with problems too.. but they are learning over to try and make it right. I wont buy from them for this unit. But if I ever find the bugs are gone, I would jump ship in a heart beat.

15. tootull

Thanks. Not too concerned. Thought I'd ask since my Yamaha amp just updated to Dolby Vision. DVD-Audio 5.1 playback is more important to me.

16. Funky54

There is very very little content for DV. Many TV’s either dont have it or don’t do it well. Right now my guess is that for about a five year window HDR10 is going to be the best option. Its nice ot have DV if available and “if” the content you like has it available. But it really isn’t a big deal. In five year when there is DV content something will be in the process of replacing it and there wont be any content for it.....

tootull likes this.
  17. tootull

Thanks. Good to know.

18. Steve1616

Steve1616 New Member

I don’t think most people are posting about this because they simply take it back and don’t care, but I have also seen hundreds of people complaining in all the various forums. I wasn’t going to post, but figured I should just so people know about it. My x800 is freezing randomly while watching a disk. When it freezes it will freeze and then shut off after 20 seconds. From there I can reboot and watch. I am on my second x800 and it is doing the exact same thing. Everything is updated and I’ve tried 3 sets of good quality high speed hdmi cables. One set of cables was even a Sony. My tv is a Sony X850D. I am not sure Best Buy would want me to try a 3rd player. This thing is awesome when it works but these bugs are annoying. Also Sony is horrible with software updates so I won’t plan on them fixing this. Sony always seems to have the best products but they stink after the sale.

JimW likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's too bad as the x800 seems to be the player to get for a great price that'll play all disc formats. Unfortunately Sony's service has not improved over the years and is the reason I no longer buy any products from them.

20. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

This is exactly why I've been watching this thread. I saw numerous reports elsewhere as well, but was so tempted to get one of these for just $150. I have a 4k TV, but w/ no HDR so I don't see much use for UHD discs, but just to have as a back-up player for all the audio formats. I've never been that impressed w/ Sony electronics, once their TV's started going downhill, but my PS3 blu-ray player is still going strong after 9 years and has been a treat, so I was considering this.

Thanks for the heads-up Steve.

21. Steve1616

Steve1616 New Member

I hope my post will save some people the aggravation. Just after I posted, my x800 took a turn for the worse. I couldn’t even boot it until I unplugged it this time. It just stopped recognizing discs in the tray permanently. Netflix worked but was super blurry. I went back to my PS3 that I have always used and it still works perfectly. I actually have a PS4 pro and it plays video games for the kids perfectly, but it is even buggy on Netflix. Sometimes the audio output on the PS4 will not output bitstream over optical even when it’s set to that. My PS3 is a great device, but even my new Sony tv is buggy. It actually worked pretty good but then I updated it and now the android apps have become buggy. We picked the Sony because it’s colors looked the best in the store, but I may have purchased my last Sony. I’m not sure how a company can be so out of touch with defective software and hardware.

sunspot42 and JimW like this.
  22. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

It's not just Sony. It seems to me that since we gained the ability to get firmware updates, we gradually went from consumers to beta testers. Many companies (TV esp. it seems) don't seem to worry about getting their products solid before production. They just get them functional, put them in the field and after we have incompatibility issues (rampant in these days of ever-changing standards and hdmi (UGH!)), they just work on FW updates to fix them.

I imagine when doing financial planning, they plan for a relatively high %age of returns- and build that into the price we pay.

It seems to me that the more deeper technology becomes embedded into our world, the lazier we humans get. Quality is becoming a thing of the past in many ways. As long as companies meet the bottom line, there's not a lot consumers can do about it. And we have become such a throw-away society, most people just shrug it off and buy something else.

scobb and andybeau like this.
  23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

On the subject of issues I think any machine that carries out the complexities of operations that Universal Players do then the risk of erratic performance exists. I have had this player only a few months and it has locked up/ rebooted a few times and that does concern me a little it may worsen but to be honest my Oppo 105 could be buggy and I didn't particularly find their customer service anything that great. Bryston for example are superb. I found the 105 HDMI interface problematic with my Bryston BDA-3 Dac but found a way round it.

Nobody should put up with a player that is faulty and it is disappointing that Sony don't seem to be looking at the software but I guess we need to wait and see if they come up with anything-My Sony is under warranty so we will see how it goes.

24. I think the issues with this UHD BD player comes from the discs reading unit and the UHD BD manufacturing QC. I've mostly had freezes on 3 layer 100 Gig discs. I'll tell you an actual example that happened to me (maybe I had before, I don't remember), the 3 discs on the Westworld season first which are all 3 layer 100 Gig discs. I had freezing on every episode on the first two discs. Before playing disc 3 I cleaned it with ammonia (yes, you red well, ammonia, the one to clean floors) and watched all the four episodes on disc 3 without any freezing. The microfibre cloth I cleaned them with ended up with a very dark grey residue. I then cleaned disc 1 and 2 the same way, and then let them play while I was doing other stuff. Guess what, no freezing. One piece of advice, clean your discs before playing them,those discs manufactured in Mexico don't come very clean.
    A week ago I got on the post the US Interstellar UHD BD release, I cleaned it with the same microfibre cloth and ammonia before playing it and got no freezing on the 2 hours+ of the movie, and it's a 3 layer 100 Gig disc.
    Clean your discs well before playing them !!!

jamesc and JimW like this.
  25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Hundreds of (I’m assuming) negative posts? That seems pretty high. And yes, some people that bought one and had problems may have just taken it back, don’t really care and never posted a negative Best Buy review. But like I said earlier, it works both ways. I’m sure there are people that bought one, it works fine and they never posted a positive review either. I can say this, I’ve had my X800 for about a month and up till now it has not locked up. I’ve also had a UHP-H1 for about a year and that has never froze either. Maybe Best Buy’s reviews aren’t completely trustworthy, but 97% positive for the X800 is still really high. The way I look at it is, these Universal Players are a lot like many other devices produced today, they’re “mini computers”. Like your smart phone, your cable box, even your WiFi thermostat, they’re all mini computers and like most computers, they need a reboot every once in a while. If my X800 and/or my UHP-H1 start to need continuous reboots, then I’ll become concerned. But until then, I’m good.

Doc Diego, dkmonroe and sunspot42 like this.