SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

SirMarc likes this.
  2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

3. Thanks for your reply. It's cheap,my problem is thatI need the HDMI output 2 to feed audio to my A/V receiver.

SirMarc likes this.
  4. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

These units have HDMI input and output so it should work for that.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

How did you check ?

6. It's not hard,just connect both players to a digital coaxial input of an A/V receiver or an external D/A that has a display that shows sample rate and bit depth, on the case of an A/V receiver jsut look at the information of the audio incoming signal while playing an SACD and that's it.
    On my Pioneer SC LX-76 A/V receiver I connected the digital coaxial out of the X-800 to a digital coaxial in (it's usually connected to a Topping D30 D/A which is so minimalistic that has no sample rate display or led to show this, but it sound great for the price) on the receiver, on the remote controller pushed "Receiver" and then "Status" and all the info is displayed, includding sample rate. I'm sad to say that before the latest firmware uPDownGrade it only outputs 44.1 Khz, before it it output 176.4, just like it did via HDMI when output was set to PCM.

bru87tr likes this.
  7. Could you please post a link, if you got it on line, to it please?

8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I knew from the beginning optical played SACD, but figured it was downsampled.

My Int amp does not have a display so could not tell, but thought it sounded really good. Amp capable of 192/24 over optical.

I had no idea it was changed with last FW. I knew it sounded good! Bummer on the FW.

9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Ok, so I got the de-embedder today and it sucks. Still 16/44.1 no matter what settings I tried with SACD. Ugh man, I can't win lol. It's going back.

On a side note, I found that DVD Audio's send full bit rate over coax which is nice, and even the down converted SACDs sound pretty good. I think I'll keep the X800.

If someone with experience with de-embedders can advise me on something I maybe did wrong, it would be appreciated

10. DVD-A's and BD-A's are not as problematic as SACD's. The last BD-A I bought which was The Planets performed by The Boston Symphony Orchestra and directed by William Steinberg which features both stereo and 4.0 mixes at 192/24 was first listened and inmediately after that it was ripped into an ISO and then burned to a recordable BD to remove all copy protection and allow the digital coaxial output 192/24, the original disc downsamples to 48/16.

11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah, I tried my Tales From Topographic Oceans Blu Ray, and only got 48k, with and without the de-embedder hooked up. I then tried different DVD A's, and was pleasantly surprised to get up to 24/192 without the de-embedder through coax. So basically the de-embedder did absolutely nothing. Oh well...

12. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Plugged it into the OPPO 205 coaxial input and played a SACD (Best Of The Doors). Also did the same thing with a Marantz SACD player that has a coaxial input. So it's all double-checked.

Well all that proves is it doesn't mess with Blu-rays and a DVDs.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Well actually, it proves that it does mess with Blu-rays and SACDs, but not with DVD A's out of the coax

14. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Oh, OK, I thought maybe the Yes disk was 48K. Not many Blu-rays go over 48K.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  15. BD-Audio discs do use to go over 48 Khz.

16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Man am I glad I didn't send the de-embedder back yet! Looks like you have to set it to 5.1 on the de-embedder unit itself, and bam, 24/176 with SACDs! Nice!

sunspot42, Sterling1 and Kiko1974 like this.
  17. I'm happy it worked, I may get the same one that you bought.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Also tested my Tales From Topographic Oceans blu-ray and am getting the full 24/96. Good times...

19. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

What make and model?

20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Tripp-Lite. Its on Amazon for $45 bucks I think. It's identical to the Kanex Pro, for like $30 bucks cheaper. Appears to be the same OEM.

21. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

I’m curious, do you still use the Marantz CD player? I was looking at the CD5005 player but wondering if I should just use the x800 and upgrade to an integrated amp with a coaxial input instead.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Dan Steele likes this.
  22. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I love my Marantz CD6006 and use it daily. I run it through a Cambridge CXA60 with analog cables, so I am using the Marantz internal DAC. I have compared the Cambridge DAC (Wolfson) to the Marantz (CS) and cant tell much difference to be honest. However, the Marantz sounds much better to the Sony X-800 for redbook cds after that A-B comparison. I use the Sony for the smaller number of SACDs and DVD-A’s that I own. But I am 90% redbook cd for my listening. So I am not sure I answered your question, buy both? :)

Leviathan likes this.
  23. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

I use a Sony x800 for CD Replay via an Arcam irDACii and am very impressed with the sound quality. Prior to buying the x800 I had been without a CD player for some months, and was exclusively using a computer hooked up to the USB input of the Arcam DAC for music playback. The Sony sounds much better music playback from my laptop via the same DAC. Again I don't think this answers your question but hopefully it will be of use :)

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Pick up an HDMI de-embedder, and you can get 24/176 from SACD and up to 24/196 from DVD Audio discs through coax with the X800 to your dac.

Matt S likes this.
  25. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

If you are not worried about 4k video or DVD-audio, then the old Sony S370 from about 8 years ago, outputs pure DSD (24/176) and also outputs the maximum from whatever Bluray audio you have via HDMI

You are just using it as a transport via HDMI so unless you really need DVD-audio and 4k video, this is still very viable. Off course as its simply outputting a bit-stream the player has no impact on sound quality whatsoever.