SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Thanks. Coax and HDMI are the only choices for the Sony output, so I'll be using HDMI to the TV and Coax to the Yamaha. Unfortunate that Digital out via Coax can't carry a full hi res signal - I don't fully understand the reason behind that.

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

My understanding is because copy protection, it seems HDMI protection might prove more difficult to bypass despite people apparently doing it anyway. Don't worry as I've said you still get very good results even when limited.

sunspot42 and George Blair like this.
  3. Uglyversal

There is a thread around that might be of some academic interest regarding de embedders.

4. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Coax can do 24/192 easy it’s like uglyversal said sacd and dvd a have copy protection

scobb and George Blair like this.
  5. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Stereo SACD sound will be output at 44.1. A Sony X800 that never had a firmware update will output SACD through coaxial at 176khz (mine does).

bru87tr, Audiowannabee and jamesc like this.
  6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Yes that is what it means. You need HDMI, or expensive external equipment, to extract the hi-res audio.

7. wolfyboy3

Blu ray audio might play out coax

louis_anthony likes this.
  8. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

9. wolfyboy3

The D. Bob or digital break out box will translate sacd to coax from hdmi using DoP
    Legally I might add

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I recently bought the Sony UBP-X1000ES used, I wanted analog out to avoid needing any adaptor hardware. To deal with setup and subsequent visual menus, I purchased this small Eyoyo 7” LCD monitor for $73. There are many like it available in that price range. It’s worked just fine so far and is small enough that I can stash it away when it isn’t needed.

I used to used a smaller and cheaper 4” LCD meant for use in cars that hooks up via a basic yellow composite video cable, but that connection is gone on newer disc players.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Bill Mac and razerx like this.
  11. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I finally purchased the region free X800M2 earlier this week … works very well thus far … really like the compact remote though it would be nice if it were backlit.

12. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

My x800 is still working like a boss. Never skipped a disc ever. I have been enjoying using it with a SMSL Sanskirt last couple months while my CD11 Tribute is being "repaired". Great results with the up-sampling on with this particular DAC.

I am thinking of just getting a Musician Pegasus DAC and a DDC to pair with the x800.

13. Uglyversal

For me all remotes should be backlit. One great thing about this Sony remote, is that is probably it is the only remote I have, where I can find most buttons in the dark. Because it is small, hasn't got too many of them, they also have enough different shapes to help you find them.

jamesc likes this.
  14. GarretK

GarretK Forum Resident

I don't know if this issue is familiar to anyone else who owns the X800M2, but I've had trouble solving it:

When playing standard CDs, the opening second of any given track is regularly cut off. Sometimes I can skip back to the beginning and it will start properly, but not always. And it's not even consistent, like when I play Abbey Road all the side 1 songs and "Here Comes the Sun" have the beginnings cut off...but then "Because" was fine and the medley played through gaplessly like it should

I'm at a loss as to what settings would be affecting this, if any. Thankfully, I can play SACD layers with zero problems whatsoever. But the issue does affect the Redbook layers of those same discs.

It's fine if there's no fix, since it's not what I mainly use the player for. Just something that's been bugging me since I noticed.

mikeyt likes this.
  15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

This bugs me as well, but I don't know if the fault is with the Sony or your DAC. I have the same issue with my player and Arcam AVR, but it isn't limited to the cd layer. It seldom happens after track 1 when I play a disc all the way through, but if I skip to the beginning of a track then that track will have missing audio at the beginning. I think it's an HDMI copy protection/handshake issue, where the receiver interprets very short silence as no signal on that input and then requires a new handshake to re-enable playback, which takes longer than the player actually sending the audio -- but that's just speculation on my part. It's definitely annoying and one reason I got a Sony 1000ES that at least has stereo analog outputs.

GarretK and Blair G. like this.
  16. RickK59

RickK59 Forum Resident

I have this problem too with most CDs on my X800 M1. I had to resort to a separate player for CDs. I never found a solution.

17. GarretK

GarretK Forum Resident

Sounds like there's little I can actually do here. Thanks, anyway.

Tried the coaxial output, so no HDMI involved...same issue.

18. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've always had this problem, too. After it starts playing, I hit the << button and it plays fine from the beginning.

19. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Are you using a receiver with room correction? I found I had the same issue with my Oppo but it disappeared when I switched the room correction off!

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What processor and room correction were you using? I've used Oppo players with Audyssey (Denon) and Dirac (Emotiva) with no issues in regard to audio being cut off at beginning of a disc.

21. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

It's the Arcam version of Dirac and it's really quite annoying!

22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's interesting as I have no issues using Dirac with the Emotiva XMC-1. It would be annoying to me as well.

scobb likes this.
  23. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

Do you get the same issue when Dirac is switched off? I used to get the same issue with my X800 and Arcam AVR850. Switching Dirac Off improved the issue. Not a good fix as you lose room correction on the AVR, but it was the only one that worked for me.

scobb likes this.
  24. Ere

Ere Senior Member

It seems non-sensical that the manufacturers insist that the standards governing HDMI and coaxial do not allow the delivery of the full audio resolution the discs have on them or perhaps I’m misunderstanding this. They “play” SACD but through coaxial into my Topping DX-3 it only shows 44.1.

I am running audio to a Marantz 2330 so require conversion to analog but would like the conversion to be from the highest resolution possible.

I got the Sony X-800 to utilize its audio-only HDMI output into an audio extractor but so far without luck (no discernible signal). Once I tested playing an SACD from this player directly into my Samsung Frame TV and out to its soundbar the sound is distorted and the disc skips.

Has anyone successfully used a splitter to extract analog audio from an SACD on the X-800?

25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I made the mistake of upgrading. I first noticed it was outputting hi rez and surprised. Not thinking I upgraded and said sh?!.