SONY UBP-X800 universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by High Fidelity, Mar 23, 2017.

1. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I
    m sure the Sony UBP X-800 and the new ES model will be basically the same with just a few changes, metal finish instead of plastic and an analog audio section which the X-800 lacks.

2. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I have used other machines that won't even read/load Fox 1080 bluray discs, so I don't think it's only Sony there. It's almost always Fox when I've had a disc act up. I read something where the x800 plays a certain fox disc but occasionally "macroblocks", not sure if it was a 4K or 1080 title.
    Re: the region free question from another poster, I don't think you can multi region the X800 currently, but multi units can be bought from 3rd party sellers (at a considerable mark up).

3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Now $218.06 on Amazon. Plus two free Sony 4K discs if purchased by SEP 30.

Galley likes this.
  4. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

New this year - Yamaha RX-V781 receiver + Yamaha BD-S681.
    Just added Sony X800 for DVD-Audio.

Happy so far...:D

ZippyPippy and andybeau like this.
  5. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Is the x800 a clone of the recent uhp-h1 with additional 4k features ?

I did not like my uhp-h1 and sent it back to the seller.

What i disliked was the lack of information on the lcd screen, the lack of hdcd and the tray that was acting weird and slow loading time.

6. tootull

Sony UBP-X800 Review | Trusted Reviews
    Sony UBP-X800 – Build Quality and Specification

The UBP-X800 deck builds upon last year’s Sony UHP-H1. It has the same stylised fascia and stippled top lid, and draws upon much of the audio engineering used inside. However, it’s fundamentally a step up in class.

For a start, it’s heavier. It weighs in at around 3.8kg and feels considerably more substantial than, say, the rival Panasonic DMP-UB900.

7. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

So the step-up is weight and video. Audio would rzmain the same.

8. tootull

Sony UBP-X800 - There’s also a newly developed metal top plate, with deliberately offset screws – a placement said to improve sound performance. Even the heat-sink features ‘fins’ that are spatially placed for maximum effect.

9. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

The X800 is a transport, it has no DACs. Pure digital bitstream to your amp/avr. It also has no fan, and is dead silent in operation, either spinning discs or media streaming.

10. tootull

Much better than my (noisy on DVD) Sony BDP-S380. Pleased that the X800 is most certainly quiet here. The silence is an improvement in sound. Needed 5.1 DVD-Audio through HDMI.

11. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I'll add the very quick loading times and excellent wireless network performance, as well.

tootull likes this.
  12. tootull

Release Date 26/09/2017 Firmware Update for Blu-ray player "UBP-X800" | Sony UK

About this download
    Benefits and improvements from the latest update
    • Extends Ultra HD Blu-ray compatibility (Japan and North America)
    • Improves the stability of network service
    Previous Benefits and Improvements
    • Solves possible disc playback issues
    • Improved intense color quality on HDR Content playback
    • Improved compatibility with OLED TVs from other brands
    • Supports additional network services (YouTube, Spotify Connect)
    • Extends 4K UHD content availability on some TVs
    • UI (background) has been changed
    • Supports some network services.
    • Improves compatibility with Ultra Blu-ray discs.

Dan Steele and PhantomStranger like this.
  13. EddieVanHalen

I've updated my EU Sony X-800 yesterday and I haven't noticed anything different, nothing. I guess if with "Extends Ultra HD Blu ray compatibility (Japan and North America) means better compatibility with UHD BD discs released on those regions. Even having an Euopean X-800 99.9% of my UHD BDs are US releases (I only have 3 UK UHD BDs) and never had a problem with them.

14. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

What's the point of the audio only HDMI? Is it superior for audio playback or is it just a gimmick and sounds the same as the other HDMI out with video?

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  15. EddieVanHalen

It doesn't pretend to be something fancy that improves sound. Many receiver, even recent ones, don't accept HDCP 2.2, the protection/encryption used for UHD BD, if your receiver, like mine, can pass 4K video signal but has no HDCP 2.2 all you'll get is non-HDR 1080p video. To avoid this the X-800 has two HDMI ports, one that can output 4K HDR video with HDCP 2.2 protection with its audio, and a second one that's HDMI 1.4 (if I recall right) that can be connected to your non-HDCP 2.2 receiver. Get the point? HDMI 1 straight to your T.V. set to get HDR 4K video and HDMI 2 to your receiver to play Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, High Res PCM and DSD.

mikeyt, DrZhivago and ZippyPippy like this.
  16. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Thanks for that. The weird thing is that when I play multi channel SACDs my receiver displays DSD but when I play 2 channel SACDs my receiver displays STEREO and not DSD even though the player says it's sending DSD on the TV. Does your player do the same? I couldn't find anything in the player menus.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

DSD is playable in stereo as well as multichannel. So that's no problem. What does your amp say though? Does the display show PCM or DSD?

18. EddieVanHalen

More or less the same on my end. When I play a stereo SACD or a stereo DSD file by receiver says Stereo, but when I play a multichannel SACD or a multichannel DSD file my receiver's display says SACD.

19. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

Thanks, I guess it's the same.

20. floydfan

floydfan Forum Resident

It shows DSD for multi channel but STEREO for 2 channel. I think it's just the way the receiver was designed but it is getting a DSD stream in 2 channel as well since I know the player is sending DSD.

21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

As bradman said in post #111 the UBP-X800 is a transport only and the player has no internal DAC's so is unable to convert the audio signal from digital to analog. Your receivers DAC's will do all the work in that regard. I can't find any reason why Sony did this, it could be that they believe users mostly use HDMI for audio or if they feel that removing the DAC's would improve picture/ sound quality or even just to keep the price down.

tootull likes this.
  22. tootull

23. EddieVanHalen

If it only played SACDs and CDs with DSEE H which upsamples CDs to 88.1/24 (or 48/16 to 96/24) I'd pay the 350 € I payed for it anyway. I love how CDs sound upsampled by this player.

24. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Nice price! I see Amazon.com is also offering it for the same price, but I don't know if it's a one-day sale or not.

25. EddieVanHalen

One piece of advice: unless you have a non-HDR 4K set (aka SDR 4K), buy this player at this price ASAP. Short "why": realiability and quality. Long "why": it's very well made, it looks great with 4K HDR material, it's extremely reliable, at least mine has been since I got it over 6 months ago, it plays almost everything, the only file it hasn't played so far has been MKV files with Dolby TrueHD audio, but there's a way to overcome this by converting the MKV file to an m2ts file with TSMuxer, it's not actually a conversion but a change of container, it plays SACD and DVD-Audio and it does it well as some cheap player are not very hybrid SACD friendly (they can mistrack sometimes when playing the SACD/DSD layer, not very often, but they do, the Sony X-800 doesn't mistrack at all tested with over 20 hybrid SACDs), it plays HiRes files including Flac at 192/24 and DSD 64 and DSD 128, both Flac and DSD on stereo and even multichannel, ested by my as I have all my SACD's ripped into ISO's and then the DSD tracks extracted by ISO2DSD, that's how I play my SACD's these days. And the upsampling of non-HiRes signal to 88.2-96/24 which in my opinion makes CDs sound great, at least I like it.
    It's a good and solid player at a bargain price.

PhantomStranger likes this.