Sony's SCDC222ES SACD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

This seems to be the 'bottom of the line' ES player from Sony. It handles multi and two channel. It's a five disc changer.

Does anyone own this one? Any comments would be appreciated!

BTW, I am sure that there was a '222' single slot model out thre somewhere.... :confused: but I can't find it. Maybe it's in the USA or Japan only?

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Brother Gary, don't do it, I say again, Brother Gary, don't do it. The C222ES is just a CE775 is fancy dress ES armour. Apparently, the only very, very slight differences are the casing, a coax D/O, a small additional transformer (that's does hardly anything), the 5 year ES warrantly, and maybe the same flimsy RCA cables with the exception of gold plating on the plugs (Good Lord). Three options here (IMO), save your money and get the CE775 (which is a champ for $179 US) or throw a wee bit more in to get the C555ES (which is a slightly better champ at $550 US), or just wait until the Fall (there doesn't seem to be anything apealing coming, also prices will be closer to list as being new products). I just think you won't be getting that much bang, bang for your buck with the C222ES...

Todd

3. Gary

Thanks, Todd! Pretty weird for an ES model, I must say!

Guess it's back to the waiting game.

A local Sony Store actually keeps me informed (when I ask them) about how many 555ES units are left in Ontario and Canada. As well as the 775! So if the prices are not reasonable for the 555ES ($1,599.00) before they are sold out, I'll go for the 775 ($249.00). All Canadian funds, of course!

Thanks, Brother Todd!

PS The 777ES is $4,500.00 and is almost sold out!

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Gary,

Do you know anyone near the border on the US side or can you set up a PO box there? Maybe you can have one shipped there from Oade or any other reasonable sources and just drive it home??

Todd

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Todd said:

Having compared the 'CE775 and 'C555ES extensively, the 'C555ES is more than "slightly better" than the 'CE775 in my opinion. I found the 'C555ES to be significantly better with both CDs and SACDs, though the difference is more significant with CDs. Just wanted to share my $0.02.

6. Gary

Thanks for your input, Keith!

Todd, while Americans can bring back hundreds of dollars (US) in Canadian goods, we can bring back $50.00 during a day trip, $200.00 for 48 hours and $600.00 over seven days, duty free. $600. US is about $1,000.00 Canadian. So I'd pay 15% taxes plus duties (who knows what % that is as it varies) on the whole amount since it'll be over $600.00 Canadian. Yes, that's the way it works. :(

Nice idea though. It's still cheaper than buying it in Canada. I'll keep looking around...... something will turn up. Maybe Khorn will tire of his! ;)

I'll be in the USA this fall. If the new product lines are out, the 555 may be further discounted so it *may* fall under $600.00 CAD. If there is anything left.

Eh, patience, Gary, patience! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.