“Sopranos” prequel movie “The Many Saints of Newark”*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

I’m a MASSIVE Sopranos fan.
    But I was disappointed.
    The best thing for me was Vera Farmiga’s performance as Olivia.
    Simply Superb .

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Spoiler ..

The Italian bride was discarded like a rag doll, swept away. Pity .. she was a sexy thing.

3. alexpop

Spoiler ...

Didn’t find the black family mafia gang convincing.
    Although they came across sympathetic.

4. alexpop

Would never have made a Sopranos episode.

MrSka57 likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Spoiler--

A lot of this movie is set in New Jersey, and you'll discover that a lot of these people have connections to organized crime.

I didn't expect that.

AintGotHalfOf likes this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If you separate it from, and try not to compare it to the original series it's actually pretty good.

7. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I am a huge Sopranos fan and found this film okay at best. The actor who played Dickie Moltisanti the younger was great, as was Ray Liotta in both his roles, and also Vera Farmiga. The other characters who appeared later in the series were mostly caricatures of their later selves.

Yes! I kept thinking no wonder Tony married Carmela, he was marrying his mother! It was uncanny.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    trumpet sounds, Ghostworld and BSU like this.
  8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just came out of the theater. Disappointed as Alex pop. I went to the movie thanking it was about the soprano family, namely Tony. And he was a minor character it was the Dickie Moltedanti story -/ Which honestly I didn’t care about. The direction was lackluster and the writing also was. I thought the two lead actors were excellent the guy who played Dickie and the guy who played the associate who turned against him. In fact they were so good they were wasted by the script and direction. There wasn’t a real strong through line the pull it along like a movie and. I was frequently bored.

BSU and alexpop like this.
  9. alexpop

The ten ( men) in my screening sat there in stony silence when the film ended, seen a dude shake his head in disgust.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah the audience just sat there stunned like “what a disappointment”. Exact same vibe I felt in the air of silence at the preview of “Prometheus “

alexpop likes this.
  11. BSU

BSU Forum Resident

If I hadn't seen the original series a couple of times, I would have shut this movie down after 40 minutes. The only thing it has going for it is nostalgia for a serious Sopranos fan.

Ghostworld and brownie61 like this.
  12. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

The trailers did it disservice. Chase said it wasy about Tony.

I thought of it much like The Entourage movie. Only the fans would get it

Ghostworld likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What irked me throughout the movie was two casting choices. Why the added confusion of having Ray Liotta play two rolls? Just stupid. And why cast Livia with a woman who looks just like Carmela? It was driving me mad. I’m trying to think of a Livia but I’m seeing Carmela on the screen

Riktator, FritzL and BSU like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Unfortunately not even that.

rnranimal, alexpop and BSU like this.
  15. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’m thinking that was a conscious choice. It showed Tony chose to marry a woman who strongly reminded him of his mother.

16. BeatleBruceMayer

Philly and Patsi Parisi. Jean and Joan Cusamano. The precedent was set in season two.

FritzL likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Could be. But why? Lol. Livia?

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

chilling...the amount of negativity towards this release...looking forward to see if the negatives pan out for me as well...

19. BeatleBruceMayer

Tony always chose women who were like his mother. It was a recurring theme in therapy.

thnkgreen, agaraffa and Ghostworld like this.
  20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I see how they tried to bring the therapy thing back in with the councilor. A lot of attempts to give things resonance just felt heavy handed. I wasn’t buying dickies redemption thing at all. Blind children? A lot of it was clunky and not very deft. I thought the race riot angle was obvious nod to getting things produced in these times and didn’t really add anything. I actually guffawed when the wife coughed up her secret. Yeah right good luck with that one ringing true. Why don’t you cough up a gem sure to get the hell beat out of you? Among that group?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    alexpop likes this.
  21. BeatleBruceMayer

When Dickie's girlfriend cooked him sausage, she was cooking it in a cast iron pan, but she served it out of a stainless steel or aluminum pan. It bothered me especially because they had a close up on the cast iron.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I feel almost guilty but I'm bored silly. Haven't even seen Gandolfini yet! Its not even a good gangster movie. Only thing I find entertaining so far is hearing "Christopher" narrate. Just saw Gandolfini.....I'm not gonna say anything else, like I said, I almost feel guilty.

Ghostworld likes this.
  23. So, from these reviews, I'm guessing it's not much about teenage Tony Soprano.
    That's a little disappointing.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah that narration really pays off, too.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I wanted to see a lot more of teenage Tony

Butterfly Blue and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.