SOTA and Phoenix Engineering

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMT

JMT Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

It appears that SOTA Turntables will be bringing back their own branded Eagle/Roadrunner speed control system.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Just to clarify, the Phoenix commercial offerings weren't 3-phase controllers, just single phase. He did design and author a popular series of 2 and 3-phase motor controllers at DIYAudio, and maybe was planning to bring one of those designs to market before shutting down (I know he built at least one person a 3-phase motor and controller kit for his SME table), but you really need to provide the complete drive system for the 3-phase systems.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

I have a Roadrunner and would be interested in this. Hopefully the price and compatibility are within reason.

M~

4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

New news. I need to get in touch with Donna

4-2-7 and jupiterboy like this.
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

This is interesting....

6. Davey

Fyi, details of the SME 3-phase system from a couple years ago, ironically in a SOTA thread ... RE: Why is it you almost never hear of Sota turntables anymore? - John Elison - Vinyl Asylum

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

not much there

8. Davey

I don't understand, don't you have a VPI table? Wouldn't it just be for SOTA tables? Well, I guess they could offer a three-phase motor kit, but that could get pretty expensive, and wouldn't be universal.

9. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. VPI owners like looking at the pretty numbers also.
    2. I also need the data that the Roadrunner produces.
    3. The original was universal.
    M-

10. Davey

OK, but the tweet in the OP is from SOTA turntables and says they will be making a 3 phase motor controller named the Condor available in December (presumably for their own tables), nothing about something universal. As far as I know, all the VPI motors are 2-phase AC synchronous designs. I don't think the Condor ever made it to market, and it certainly wouldn't have been universal if it did, it was just a prototype for a 3-phase controller, as shown in the AA link I posted, or this one ... Vinyl Asylum

But maybe the Phoenix will rise too, with a new line of products, never know, maybe Carlin is getting bored in retirement :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  11. Davey

Looks like SOTA will be pricing the 3-phase kit at around $1025 ...

Phoenix Engineering commented
    11-03-2018, 09:11 PM
    Just to clarify: The RR tach is the same as produced previously. In addition to the RoadRunner, there are 2 new motor controllers that SOTA will be manufacturing:

Series VI uses the existing AC synch motor, but upgrades the motor drive to a digitally synthesized dual phase controller with two class AB output amps and adjustable phase. It is essentially a dual phase SDS; the RR tach is used for manually setting the speed (there is no feedback). There is an upgrade path from the series V and is compatible with the existing power supply/vacuum.

The Condor uses a 3 phase BLDC motor and all new controller (it is not the Eagle PSU, although it does work with the RR tach to provide closed loop feedback for automatic speed control). The Condor motor/controller provides higher torque, lower vibration and greater speed control than what is possible with an AC synch motor; the motor starts the platter at 5 RPM and ramps up to 33/45/78 RPM with one pulley and zero belt burn out. The motor provides ~3x the torque of a similarly sized AC synch motor, but is much quieter in operation. It provides a level of performance not previously available on tables in this price range.

I believe SOTA will offer the Condor/BLDC motor in a stand-alone motor assembly that will be similar in price to the ADS, and possibly a motor/controller combo that will fit the Classic and other turntables where the motor is plinth mounted.

Packgrog likes this.
  12. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

3-phase kit, for a new deck. They're not sure yet about upgrading an older tt.

4-2-7 likes this.
  13. Mister_Lewis

Mister_Lewis Active Member

Drat! I was hoping that SOTA was going to make the Phoenix Engineering products available again. I've been hoping to find a used Falcon/RR, but no luck so far. I came across a very interesting alternative product at TURNTABLE CONTROL INSTRUMENT
    Does anybody have any experience with this product?

shiwo likes this.
  14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Just found this. Was hoping they were going to build another version of the Falcon. Oh well, I guess it's time to continue searching for one....

15. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

The new unit's called the Eclipse. Available Feb. Getting excited.

4-2-7 likes this.
  16. B-Rad

B-Rad Active Member

Anyone know if this will work with a Comet IV?

17. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I know my Eagle/RR combo is not compatible with my (upgraded) Series V Sapphire, I'd have to find a way to bypass the built-in pitch control board, else they battle each other...

I had many issues with speed after my 2016 Series V upgrades that I could prove with my $10 DIY no-feedback tachometer (hall sensor).
    They finally got them resolved after some chip swaps, pot tuning, and ultimately sending it back again, better now, but still not as stable as the Eagle/RR on my Avid.

At the time (2016) when I asked about compatibility with my Phoenix gear (I use it on my Avid table) Sota feigned ignorance, as if I was speaking some foreign VPI language.... clearly did not want to talk about it. I will be curious to see and learn more about this. Still love my Sota, but not sure another $1000 is going to go there....

patient_ot likes this.
  18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

email from Donna.

Yes, we have initiated the series six Sapphire and Nova. The Cosmos has totally bypassed a series five to go directly into what we're calling the Cosmos eclipse. I've attached a flyer for your reading enjoyment. You'll see the new series six Sapphire and Nova share many of the same features such as the
    > phenolic resin sub-chassis
    > acrylic armblock mounting system
    > series six motor assembly
    > series six power supply
    > mag-lev platter
    > spike feet
    > 1" (Nova) or 1/8" (Sapphire) block bracing

The Eclipse package featured on the Cosmos can be substituted on these models and all the early series Sapphire, Star and Nova models too. The eclipse is a 3 phase DC motor with a digitally controlled power source. The table will now run three speeds. You set the speed and the controller keeps its speed, similar to a cruise control on your car. Then if you wan to control the controller to the thousand, and/or watch its speed, you can add the tachometer. SOTA has licensed with Phoenix Engineering in the development and advancement of these products originally offered by Phoenix. At this time, the tachometer isn't a stand alone product. Soon it will be offered as such.

Three phase motor with controller or series six motor, mag-lev platter, spiked feet are upgrade options for the series five tables. Trading the table towards a full series six will be the only way to enjoy the other benefits. This mag-lev platter is outrageous. The noise floor drops to an astonishing level that left my jaw on the floor.

Link:

SOTA Price-Jam 2019

19. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Mag lev platter?

20. Davey

There's a few other tables now with maglev platter bearings. Most of the Clearaudio line, my old Avantgarde from about 10 years ago has it (they call it CMB, ceramic magnetic bearing). You can also buy the Chinese FFYX maglev platters on ebay that are used on their line of industrial-looking tables, below model is under $1000 (platter by itself with bearing is about $400, the platter also has magnet embedded for feedback speed control, similar to the Phoenix system)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  21. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Now to find out if that Eclipse package will work with turntables from other brands...

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Well, I'd just need the PSU and tachometer since I already have a motor with my VPI Prime. I'm assuming as much but we'll see in the relatively near future whether it's at all compatible.

23. Davey

I don't see anywhere they've talked about selling a controller for standard 120VAC synchronous motors like the old Phoenix stuff.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Hmmmm,... good point. Either way, it's best to wait and see.

25. B-Rad

B-Rad Active Member

I have an email from Donna a few months ago stating that she’d put me on a list for the falcon and the road runner. When I hear back from her I post an update.

dolsey01 and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.