SOTA and Phoenix Engineering

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenix engineering

phoenix engineering Well-Known Member

SOTA had inquired about producing the Eagle PSU that would be compatible with existing 120VAC synch motors and they are free to pursue that option if it makes sense. When I originally discussed this with Christian, we came to the conclusion that it made more sense to offer the 3 phase condor PSU matched with a much better motor for $725, than to offer a good PSU for $600 to drive a mediocre motor (the original Eagle was $525, but I could produce them cheaper than SOTA could). The RR tach will be offered as a stand-alone option for use on any table. Check with SOTA for details, but I believe the motor will be offered as an upgrade into existing plinths/SAMAs as well as with a SOTA SAMA (stand-alone motor assembly).

Why go steerage when you can ride first class for $125 more?

2. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

:kilroy:

macster likes this.
  3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

I received an e-mail from Donna that the hold up it outside supplier issues. The good news is I'm first in line.

Try1256 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I have the Eagle/RR combo on my Avid and love it (thanks Bill!!!).
    I upgraded my Sota Sapphire series 1 to a series 5 in December 2017, so it is tough to essentially discard that investment so soon and dump another $1,025 into my 30+ year old Sapphire...
    I have my own tachometer on it, and it is indeed still in steerage as a series V when it comes to speed stability unfortunately.

5. ethansdad

ethansdad Forum Resident

Has anyone sent in their Series V to be upgraded yet?

6. t3chnobrat

t3chnobrat Forum Resident

I spoke with SOTA this morning. They're still working on it. It sounded like they have the RR done and the Falcon could be available end of May. She added me to a list that's already been started.

7. phoenix engineering

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident

Fantastic that this is available again. I own a Falcon/Roadrunner combo for my VPI table, and it's been a delight, both for sonics and usability.

I have to dig out my RR manual - was the odometer feature always present? If so, I had no idea - what a great feature!

vinylsolution and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I upgraded my Sapphire Series 3 to a Series V in 2017, and I own the RR + Eagle, but cannot use them on the Sapphire due to conflict with on-board speed control (so they reside on my Avid table).

I can verify via my tachometer that the series V upgrade was not successful in achieving steady speed which is disappointing after dropping $1500 on the upgrades.

Donna says they might offer an upgrade path for V to VI, but in addition to the lost money on the Series V upgrades, my next question would be do I get a new control panel?
    Seems to me it would look sort of wonky to have a pair of pitch pots and a 33/45 selector button that are just there and non-functional, only the on/off switch would work, since the Phoenix gear handles speed selection and maintains pitch?

Suddenly the elegance of a Sota is sort of gone...

10. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Watching this thread because as a VPI Prime Signature owner, the Phoenix solutions have always intrigued me.

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No need to just watch. It's available for purchase now. See the links posted by @phoenix engineering

12. IGD Positive

I see that. I'm waiting to see if others buy it and have impressions before I jump in.

13. phoenix engineering

The accumulated playing time was added on the final production run; RR's with SN 540512 and higher will have this capability. It involves a hardware change as well as firmware update, so unfortunately, it is not compatible with earlier SNs.

14. phoenix engineering

The Series VI uses the original AC synch motor and replaces the analog drive with a dual phase synthesized drive that is quartz accurate and stable. The existing control panel will still be functional, although one of the pitch control pots is replaced by a dummy plug (one control now adjusts which ever speed is selected). The Series VI does not allow for feedback from the RR tach, but will be more accurate and stable than the Series V.

If you replace the Series V with the Eclipse, that would have the new motor and outboard Condor controller. I'm not sure what they do for the existing control panel, perhaps it just goes away as it is no longer needed. The Eclipse package allows feedback from the RR tach for closed loop control, similar to the Eagle/RR.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The first link is of someone who posted his extensive review of it. Did you check it out? I thought it was an interesting read.

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  16. IGD Positive

Indeed I did. It's a good review but I'm going to hold out until a few more people make the leap. I don't feel like I absolutely need it at the moment so no need to rush into it. Plus I'll wait until they have the proper pulley.

17. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Kudos to Phoenix Engineering for helping to make this available, especially for VPI TTs which are much more numerous than Sotas. It is a no-brainer compared to anything made available by VPI, especially its not-ready-for-prime-time ADS. VPI should have made the deal with Phoenix when they had the chance. Worst mistake ever. I hope Sota makes a bundle of profit on this.

I've been using the Eagle-Roadrunner combo with a VPI single motor flywheel device for many years. Couldn't be happier. Works flawlessly. Looks great (at least the part that shows). When I bought the Phoenix units I sold my old VPI SDS for about what I paid for the combo. Ha!.

Like I said, the Sota deal is a no-brainer, probably better than what I have.

wfojas likes this.
  18. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I'm definitely considering taking the plunge on this but like others I would like to see about a VPI specific pulley and whether they can come up with a quick plate change to replace the IEC inlet of my Classic with something that will accommodate their DIN type plug.

19. phoenix engineering

E-mail Garrett Jones at Sota ([email protected]); if they haven't already done the interface to a particular table, you can send yours in so they can engineer a solution at no charge for the labor.

20. Pacha

Pacha Well-Known Member

I own SOTA Millennia prototype #1, purchased around 89-90. Sent it back for the complete Eclipse upgrade last year and the improvement in performance was astounding.

dieselophile, PhxJohn and 4-2-7 like this.
  21. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Welcome Pacha, good to see your here and hope you join in with discussions.

Pacha likes this.
  22. dieselophile

dieselophile Audiophiliac

Upgraded mycSota Sapphire, from a series V motor to the Total Eclipse - works like charm...love it

Pacha and KOWHeigel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.