sota I-Clamp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by trilogia, May 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trilogia

trilogia New Member Thread Starter

im looking for information about this record clamp. i own a sota comet turntable, and i was thinking of buying this. but before that, i was thinking i could make my own. i work in a shop where they use all kinds of exotic metals and a lot of different plastics, teflons and all that stuff. so im looking for basically everything there is to know about it such as all dimensions, weight, height and things of that natrue. how does it work exactly, what is it made out of? any information or a link would be appreciated, thanks.

2. trilogia

trilogia New Member Thread Starter

also had a question about record clamps in general. dont their weight cause the motor to slow down? and what is a good way to check if your turntable is running at the right speed?

3. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I don't have the dimensions and such for you but materials such as carbon fiber, lead, and heavy acrylic are all good materials for a clamp. Does a clamp slow down the motor, well if its a good quality motor than it shouldn't matter and the motor will readjust at the proper speed. This shouldn't be a problem with a SOTA and I'm sure they would recommend a clamp for their tables as most high end companies do. The best way to check the speed is to buy a strobe disc from VPI (and maybe others).

Clamps can be very effective at reducing vibrations and truly making the platter and record act as one piece to reduce colorations caused by vibrations or disc slippage.

Good luck.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I just bought a SOTA clamp from a forum doode, so I'll let you know what I think, once I get it!

5. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

BTW, Sckott, I never asked you what table you will be usiong the clamp on?

6. Sckott

Rega Planar 3.

7. Ronflugelguy

Stock felt mat?

8. Sckott

Still, possibly always.

9. Ronflugelguy

when I used it with SystemdekIIX, I used a Mission Soborbathane mat (the sticky stuff). I already had that mat , so I never used the felt mat that my Systemdek came with .

10. Sckott

How did the Sorbothane do? I almost bought a wad of it for damping.

11. Ronflugelguy

It worked well. I never doubted it . Never tried anything else. With the clamp it really focused the soundstage. I think I paid $10 for that mat on AUDIOMART, back in 1981. I think it went for about $40 list.

12. Sckott

So you kept it. You may have mentioned it before, but what table ya using now?

13. Ronflugelguy

It's still on my SystemdekIIX in the closet right now, in mint cond.,my 10yr old has laid claim to it, and when he gets a little more responsible, I'll let him have it for his system.

14. Sckott

Let him know, if he's been bad, you could just haul off and sell it! :D

15. Ronflugelguy

What he's trying to do is get his little grubby hands on my DCC Raiders LP, and My japanese "Return of the Jedi" LP!!!!!! the kid already has the Attack Of the Clones soundtrack(Episode II).

16. Sckott

Gawd, you have a DCC Raiders Lp too? What'd the odds!!?!?

17. Ronflugelguy

You too? I've been trying to get a DCC Cd of that title! Have you seen the prices on Ebay? they keep going up! Oh BTW, My table now is a VPI JR w/Rega RB-300 and a heavyweight counterweight, with a Clearaudio Beta cart.(Good Stuff)

18. Sckott

I agree. Love that Rega arm! Simple, musical, and I love the counterweight you got. ;)

19. Ronflugelguy

I think, if I keep the Rega arm, I'll spring for the rewire, and upgrade the table to MKIV. My dealer seems to think that the new VPI arm is better, but when I found out it was a unipivot, I'm not so convinced.:confused:

20. Sckott

Oh, well. The SOTA clamp doesn't seem like it will work with the Rega spindles, being skinny, short and plastic. I tried it several different ways, even without the mat or the gaskets on, and the clamp won't reach and/or won't clamp very well. If my spindle was metal and if it was longer, it would make a big difference.

It's cool though. I'll try and sell it on the classifieds or eBay if that doesn't work out. ;) Thanks anyways, Ron!

21. Ronflugelguy

Sorry It didn't work for you sckott, but you should get your money back and maybe some on Ebay. The last time they were in production, they listed for $179.00. there are a lot of tables they will work on. And I thought, with the Rega also having a glass platter like the Systemdek, that it would work well.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

To Ronflugelguy (hope I spelled that right!)

I have a Systemdek II that I'm going to dust off and set up. You used the Sota clamp.
    Did you try any others ? I seem to recall Sytemdek made their own.

Is the JA Michel any good ?

23. Sckott

I got the clamp to work perfectly well now. The SOTA Reflex is great. Flattens out some warps to flatness! Great grip!

24. Ronflugelguy

1.) Sckott, gald to haer you got the clamp to work for you.

2.)Blair, I haven't used any other clamp with the systemdek, however I highly recommend a sticky type mat (soborbathane). I think audioquest still makes one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.