Sound and Vision Hoax

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Safety copies

2. grooves

grooves Vinyl Maven

This "Mikey" sez: when I visited the LOC not that many years ago, they were NOT archiving to any digital format because they didn't trust any of them. I wonder if the Deaf & Blind, er Sound and Vision folks (just kidding) mentioned that in the piece?

Also, their "joke" is not so funny: ithas now been aired in public on a major network so I can repeat this: the Scientologists are transferring all of L. Ron Hubbard's speeches to plated DMM masters and have built solar powered turntables and suspension-less cartridges to play them back. These discs are being stored in a bunker in the Mojave desert and I GUARANTEE you, they will outsurvive ANY digital storage medium known to man. This is NOT a joke. It is quite real.

Even without the solar powered turntables, you can play a record with damn pine cone. What will some future human being do with optical media except use them as mirrors????

:D

3. bbush32

bbush32 New Member

It seems to me that I have heard this story before. I think it was a April fools joke on the NPR program All Things Considered.

4. bbush32

bbush32 New Member

5. grooves

grooves Vinyl Maven

Sorry, but it is very true. I have seen the plating system and some of the plated discs with my own eyes. I am not in a habit of ruining my credibility over an "April Fool's Day" joke.

6. grooves

grooves Vinyl Maven

:(

Oops. sorry, I thought the post about NPR "April Fools..." joke was referring to my post about Scientologists.....that's what you get for not being a regular forum lurker..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.