Sound proofing a room from outside road noise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thnkgreen, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Not much price difference at all between standard double pane and soundproof double pane (different thickness) where I live and also much cheaper if I see what you have paid for a smallish home :yikes: !

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Dealt with noise from one neighbor who was a redneck loud obnoxious type. We were in the middle of renos anyway and replaced all windows and doors. Heavy doors and double-pane windows fixed that issue. There are 3-pane windows as well but back then, we were renovating the entire house and couldn't splurge on that. Nevertheless, the noise issue is history and the neighbor moved a few months after we completed the renos. New neighbors are the respectful types, thankfully. :)

3. hbucker

hbucker Forum Resident

FWIW: The quote we got for triple pane windows was over twice the price of double pains. And we didn't go with the most expensive version of double panes...

4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I was General Manager of a window manufacturing company. It's a dynamic problem. Putting a good laminated IGU into a sh*tty hollow plastic frame isn't great. A vinyl frame, reinforced with steel/aluminum, a better solution. Proper installation with expansion foam, etc. helps also. You don't know, what you don't know.

5. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Brother's house fronted a main road across flat ground about 20metres.
    After research he put in thick solid shop front glass.
    Complete silence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.