Sound quality - streaming Tidal via BluOS app VS Tidal Connect

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by K Brooke, Nov 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

When I use Tidal Connect my Rega Dac R shows it as between 88 - 96 khz.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Eternal Champion, Master of the Universe

I'm still puzzled about this thread as there should be no difference between Tidal connect vs Tidal accessed via BluOS - both are just apps controlling the Node 2i and they should just be commanding the Node 2i to play what you are selecting - there is no magic sauce or sound processing going on. The ONLY explanation I can think of for sound differences is whether Tidal Connect commands the Node to access a different Tidal server that MAY be more stable than the third party API servers otherwise used when Tidal is accessed via BluOS but that should not affect the sound quality at all. Another possibility is what others have alluded to above, which is that if you have set any tone adjustments in BluOS these may be bypassed by playing through Tidal Connect. But if you use an external DAC tone controls and volume are bypassed anyway, assuming you are using an MQA external DAC and have then had to set fixed volume. Personally I I find Tidal connect sometimes sees my Node 2i and sometimes doesn't, so I grew bored of it and have stuck with BluOS

grx8 likes this.
  3. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Forum Resident

I just toggled between the Bluesound controller app on my iPhone, and the Tidal Connect feature on the Tidal program on my laptop, and I could hear no difference playing MQA Krall and Eva Cassidy. Both seamlessly controlled my Node 2i.
    However! I'm glad I read this thread because I was unaware of the Tidal Connect feature, and I find it has a more complete feature set. Like allowing shuffle of a playlist, which the BluOS app does not allow. Also, I prefer to search and edit on a real keyboard rather than trying to type on a phone.

500Homeruns likes this.
  4. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

It looks like I was wrong. According to Tony at Bluesound, the Node will perform the first MQA unfold if you’re using a non-MQA external DAC and have the “Non-MQA External DAC” setting turned on:

“Your Bluesound NODE will decode MQA on a single unfolding of up to 24/96 on an external DAC that does not support TIDAL. So - you will be able to play TIDAL content. Depending on the content though you will max out at 24/48 or 24/96 at best.”

That explains the numbers you’re seeing.

I also remember reading that the Tidal software (desktop only) will perform the first unfold before sending data to a non-MQA external DAC, which is useful for situations where the DAC is connected directly to a computer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  5. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

FWIW I have used the program MusicScope to test Tidal on my system. I have tested their HIFI which is supposed to provide Red Book 44.1/16. I find it does not. On my Chrome browser it falls far short, and using the Tidal app it comes closer but comes somewhat short. Since it doesn't deliver the full Red Book, it is not clear how they manipulate the files. By the way, Primephonic does deliver Red Book and also 48/24 on many of their files.

Of course the readout on a DAC doesn't reveal the sampling frequency and depth of the data; it only reads out the container.

I did not look into MQA as I have no interest in a proprietary manipulation of the data.

I have not yet tried Qobuz.

6. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I understand and sympathize with the sentiment, but seeing that Philips has charged hardware manufacturers for Red Book licensing from the beginning, it seems like we’ve already made that moral compromise long ago. Philips only focused on the standard though, it didn’t restrict access to content.

500Homeruns likes this.
  7. rill

rill Well-Known Member

I see 88.2 quite frequently on my external dac with Node2 playing MQA tracks on Tidal.

8. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

As I noted above, the DAC readout tells us nothing about the quality or size of the data. I could upsample a Red Book (CD) file and get the same, or even higher readout. My DAC reads out 48k when I play youtube files. They are not 48k files. The .mp3 files are just converted into a 48k container for rendering.

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

MQA done right sounds much closer to live music, I really don't care how it there.

10. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

Whether or not that is true, I have no doubt that one can do as well or better using high def files at Qobuz. Doing that an outstanding DAC can be chosen without worrying about its inclusion of MQA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.