Sound sync issues with new Sony Bravia TV

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tinnitus Andronicus, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Tinnitus Andronicus

Tinnitus Andronicus I Buried Paul Thread Starter

I just bought a new Sony X85K 4K HDR LED TV with smart Google TV (2022) at Best Buy and got the two year Geek Squad protection plan. Owned the TV two days and just now noticing there is a sound sync issue, watching any video with speaking faces the words are coming out a fraction of a second after the lips move, and it is very annoying. I don't think it is an issue with my sound system because I never noticed this issue with the old Samsung TV that I replaced with this Sony.

I tried connecting external audio two ways. The HDMI ARC output to my Oppo UDP-205 will not work, seems the devices aren't recognizing each other. So I used the optical audio output to the OPPO and it works but like I said, the sound isn't synced up with the video. I've played with the audio settings in the TV

[​IMG]

changing it to AUTO, ON and OFF and all three settings are out of sync. I don't know what to do. Is this an issue with Sony TVs? What should I do?

I thought I was getting a better TV when I bought this new Sony but so far I'm feeling frustrated.

2. Tinnitus Andronicus

I am pretty sure I got this fixed...

[​IMG]

Digital Audio Out was set to AUTO 1. I changed the setting to PCM and now it appears to be synced up with the video. Problem solved, for now at least. :)

It also corrected the rather low volume output that I was hearing when watching programming on Prime Video as opposed to the louder output when watching YouTube content.

jfeldt likes this.
  3. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

I think thats right PCM , i got a Philips TV last year and looking through the online manual trouble shooting tips for audio was question No1 ...is output set to PCM ? which upon auto install isn't the case ... go figure .. so i wish you happy watching and listening

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Return and buy a Samsung TV.

5. Tinnitus Andronicus

Maybe it is too early to give a verdict, but so far my new Sony is performing more dependably than the Samsung it replaced. Stable wifi and working remote, at least.

6. MarkD51

MarkD51 Audio Maniac

Glad you got that fixed!
    I had a similar problem many years ago with a 32" Sony Wega 400 Tube TV, and through Satellite all movies looked like I was watching a dubbed Kung Fu Movie. LOL

The set was returned, and the dealer was not too happy.

Tinnitus Andronicus likes this.
  7. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Bad move. Keep the Sony.

8. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I just posted about this in the visual arts section. I have the sync issue on my brand new A80j oled. It’s something to do with the tv’s processing as no matter what I can’t eliminate it unless I switch to Game mode.

9. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

I have an older Bravia and using the PCM out works best in many ways, including sync.

However, an issue here is that some of our broadcasters, especially on catch up platforms, seem to have done something with recordings which makes the sound yo-yo in and out of sync during a given individual programme.

10. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

i have a similar problem when I try to run my Samsung TV throught the Hifi. Turns out the signal's journey from the TV, through the preamp (if I use the headphone jack as a line out) or from the TV 's toslink audio out jack to the cheap optical DAC to the preamp, to the active crossover, to the power amps to the speakers.... just takes too goddam long, so there is a noticeable delay, no matter what. There is a setting on the TV to delay the audio signal, but no way to delay the video signal apart from the audio, so I cannot sych the audio with the video, so I do not use the HiFi to listen to the TV audio.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Never buy a Samsung without checking out the remote. They have made some of the most unfriendly remotes, which makes the brand a non purchase for me despite the picture quality. The best (worst) was the remote that operated via Bluetooth rather than infrared, which made the volume control unworkable when connected to a sound bar that only had an optical connection.

12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Only if you like "smiley-face" EQ for your picture.
    :laughup: :biglaugh: :unhunh:

13. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

For me the Samsung Bluetooth remote control is one of the best I have ever used. most of the time we use the optical out to the HiFi.
    Different strokes, I guess!

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

In my case the remote wouldn’t link with the sound bar, though it might if it was ARC compatible.

15. MGW

I guess it might or might not but using the optical out to the HiFi I really don't expect the Samsung remote to control the amplifier's volume (Bluetooth or not).
    Incidentally, when we got our Samsung TV it came with both the Bluetooth remote that I like but you do not, and a much more conventional IR remote. Did you not get the latter?

16. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Most TV's have a synch adjustment.

mine looks like this
    [​IMG]

MGW likes this.
  17. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

18. MGW

@cdash99 what I was getting at, rather badly, is that the optical Toslink signal that I output to the my HiFi (CDP/DAC thence the amplifier) does not have a volume for the TV or its remote to control and I am reasonably sure that is also the case also for the HDMI Arc output, there is no volume to control until it is converted to analogue so neither the TV not the remote can control the volume. I think!

19. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

We had a more pragmatic workaround. We initially had a cable box on that set, so we used the cable company remote with no issue. The problem wasn’t discovered until we got rid of the box, with the result being that we kept the cable remote for power and volume while using the Samsung remote to navigate the apps. Using two remotes is a PIA but it’s cheaper than replacing the set.

20. holden4th

holden4th Forum Resident

You beat me to it. My sound bar has the same thing and it's adjustable via the remote. Check your remote to see if this might also be a function.

Ingenieur likes this.
  21. MGW

Like I said earlier, different strokes.
    I do not expect (or want) anything other than the amplifier RC to control the volume signal that it puts out to the speakers, whatever source is connected, be it the CDP, radio tuner or TV so using that for volume and the TV remote for the rest is the very antithesis of a PITA.

22. chris geary

chris geary Forum Resident

my tv has the audio delay built in, and I have seen those external delay boxes. none of that works for me, as I don't want to delay the audio signal, i need to speed it up, or delay the video signal separate from the audio.

I have not yet seen any TV or external box (beyond some pro-level stuff that I am not sure would work, and is very expensive) that would do what I need.

23. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

If I run through my receiver that creates a delay which I try to correct with setting the sync offset in the receiver. That gets pretty close but I can’t quite fine tune it just right.
    If I run directly into the oled it seems relatively ok but still not as good as game mode.
    I’ve turned off the TV’s sync settings which seemed to make the response a bit quicker. I also have to change sync settings for 24p content vs non 24p content.

Is there a more accurate way to check and set av sync? I’ve tried adjusting with my receiver over and over with the old test pattern on digital video essentials and the tv’s YouTube app doesn’t have sync issues so I can’t use online test patterns.

I finally gave up and used two players with two copies of the same disc one going directly to the tv and one to the receiver first. That got me pretty close after trying to exactly match the two but it’s still not perfect.