Sound Warehouse

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by abbeyroad2, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anybody remember this record store chain? Used to be one of my favorites back in the day. Also Musicland, Sam Goody, Tape World, and Blockbuster Music. Blockbuster Music used to let you listen to any CD in the store. That was a big deal before internet audio samples.

2. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

3. I remember Sound Warehouse real well and so many other music stores, almost all are gone now. There were several Sound Warehouse stores in Wichita, KS and later I moved to Dallas and there were even more there. I think the Dallas Sound Warehouse stores closed around 1987 if I recall correctly. I seem to recall that Blockbuster Music stores were opened in a couple of the bigger Sound Warehouse sites some years later. There may have been a chain of acquisitions linking the two but it isn't worth looking up.

4. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Yes, I believe there were three stores here in Wichita. The SW at 21st and Amidon was my go-to record store as a kid and then into my teenage years. I now work with the wife of the guy who managed that store all through the 80s. IIRC, she told me the chain was owned by an older couple and when the man's health began to fail they decided to sell. I think you are right about the Blockbuster connection, because one opened up at the old SW location on Harry St.

5. I always thought the Wichita Sound Warehouse stores were pretty good. Did WSU generate much fan excitement as a result of the NIT Championship?

6. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

I suppose they did. I totally forgot to watch the game though! :help:

7. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Yeah, I remember them. I was not too fond of their selection.

For me it was Rasputins, Amoeba, Rough Trade, and Tower. They all had the chains beat by a mile as far as depth of artists and used CD's.

The Blockbuster Music chains were interesting. I remember you could try before you buy. Had a buddy who worked at one and I'd sit all day listening to new music. Rarely bought from there because they marked it all up so high.

One of the most interesting places I ever visited was in Dallas---Bill's Records. Complete mess...but he had everything. Nothing was tagged with price tags and he always took cash. But his place was incredible for imports and hard to find stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.