Soundbars compared to speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jbilliam8, Aug 12, 2022.

1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I had this Sony HT-CT770 sound bar with a wireless subwoofer for a few years. It had decent front-surround sound. The subwoofer helped.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

And a soundbar doesn't need a sub in your opinion?!

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

As we spend a comparatively large amount of time watching and listening to tv Listening Fatigue can be a real factor with the soundbars I've had or heard.
    The speakers I’m using now are just “heavenly” by comparison and make long term listening, specially vocals very comfortable. Fortunately the tv is wall mounted and the speakers fit under it on their stands with a couple of inches to spare.

bever70 likes this.
  4. bever70

Good point, voices (and commercials etc) can sound very fatiguing and harsh because of all the compression being used in Tv programs/shows (movies are a different story).

Khorn likes this.
  5. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

Both the Fluance and the ZVOX produce adequate bass for the size rooms and sound levels used. I am far less serious about TV sound in any case. I had previously used powered speakers + sub in one room, and indeed the bass was more profound. In that context, though, it just isn't that big a deal for me.

6. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Anyone ever check out the Klipsch Heritage Theater Bar? If I was going to use one, I would aim for this baby!

as far as sound bars go, I doubt there’s anything cooler looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Khorn likes this.
  7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Imposingly impressive I must say.

beowulf likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Bigger footprint, space might not be available in a lot of configurations.

VibeTech likes this.
  9. bever70

Bigger by what....30cm? 1 foot? Buy a smaller Tv and better speakers :winkgrin:!

10. bever70

Looks good! Looks as big as a TV :laugh:!

beowulf likes this.
  11. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

In my case the tv is larger than the table it sits on. If I put speakers there it would block the tv.

12. VibeTech

VibeTech Active Member

Funny, it’s like you’ve just visited my house

Dillydipper likes this.
  13. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

somehow i seriously doubt any soundbar system could even approach my PIONEER VSX-47TX/POLK R10 combo;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

I used to have a 32” TV atop a Bose Solo sound base. It sounded fine. Then I bought a 49” TV that was too big for the Bose, and it sounded dreadful through its own speakers. So I bought a Sonos Beam, one of the most highly-rated soundbars at the time. Honestly, I don’t get it. It sounds OK, but with modern TV soundtracks the dialogue is hard to hear, the bass and treble are over-emphasised and there’s no soundstage. If I had known then what I know now I would have been tempted to put up with the old TV/Bose combo and spent the money on beer and curry instead.

15. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Im surprised the center channel on that Klipsch Theater Bar is not symmetrical.

I recently added a center channel (older school Yamaha R-V1105 Dolby Digital receiver) to a system (for TV/movies, not listening to music) and was very impressed.

Ive heard a Samsung Soundbar/sub combo (probably of the $200 for both variety) and it was "decent", but not something I could live with, mostly because I prefer more and lower bass and an overall "fuller" sound that can fill up a bigger room better.

16. bever70

Yeah that would be pretty useless :rolleyes:. It's why they invented stands, or speakers that can be hung on the wall in some way, or bigger tables, or....

17. wolfyboy3

Soundbars!

bever70 likes this.
  18. bever70

Just don't buy one that's bigger than your table :evil:!

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  19. wolfyboy3

soundbars are not like tvs. Bigger does not always mean better.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Was hoping someone would mention "Front Surround". I don't want to be in the movie having helicopters flying over my head that aren't visually there watching a 2D TV screen. It's distracting and kinda' dumb. Two speaker stereo with sub is all I need.

I did like the fake front surround on my Samsung HDtv that gave more of a 3D wide stereo bigger than life sound I could tinker with adjusting the built in EQ even though the tv speakers were firing toward the back wall.

I'm using Boston Acoustic computer speakers with small stereo satellites and a small sub. I just wish there was a front surround "spacial" effect and Dynamic Range Management so I can hear dialog loud enough without having to reduce volume for the explosions or music sound track crescendos.

21. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I didn't mind the front surround at all. I didn't hear it the same way you did. It sounded natural.

Bill Mac likes this.
  22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

No comparison to quality speakers. Soundbars are used for TV.

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

This is also my ideal TV/movie setup. Simple DAC/Amps out to a nice set of speakers. I've never been into the surround sound setups as friends' pads had some Sony systems, but I always thought the speakers weren't the highest quality. Soundbars can be great but I alwas find them to have cinematic attenuation of sound with boomy bass and piercing highs at times, I prefer a flatter sound which speakers tend to accomplish for my ears more.

Has anyone found a way to bypass the cinematic mixes of LOUD ACTION SCENES then (super duper quiet dialog/talking moments) and you just can't find that volume sweet spot? Can anyone relate to the volume disparity between action and dialog scenes at least? Are my ears broken? Lol

24. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

All I’ve found to work is the volume button on the remote for my pre-Dac

DonNylon likes this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I can relate VERY WELL to this issue about huge dynamic range variances.

There was a $300 soundbar on Best Buy's site I came across and posted here that explained its internal DRM (Dynamic Range Management) feature. Might look for a similar feature in the settings within your soundbar if it has menu settings similar to my Sony BD player which of course doesn't work as designed. Something to do with constantly changing compatibility issues with audio technology upgrades embedded in BD discs like Dolby Atmos, etc.

Blu-ray Audio Formats: Dolby Digital, DTS & LPCM | Home Cinema Guide

DonNylon likes this.