Soundgarden: An Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, for anyone who isn’t aware, that whole situation is being discussed here:

Chris Cornell's Widow Sues Soundgarden

It’s a mess, but I hope both parties come to a resolution so fans can hear the last sessions of Soundgarden. Would really suck if fans get deprived of this music.

miller_time22 and Boomy like this.
  2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's so hard to listen to Chris' lyrics now...

CassetteDek and Chrome_Head like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

His lyrics were always dark, sometimes very much so. I was surprised and impressed with how he seemed to make sense of his life and survive unlike many of his comrades. Until....

CassetteDek and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

This is a fantastic thread. It's great to hear folks stories about the band. They are one of THE great bands with a great catalogue.
    It's a terrible pity what happened with Chris. It's such a terrible thing for any family to endure.

I was lucky enough to see them on the King Animal run in Dublin. They were like high art at times. Amazing gig.
    Opened with Incessant Mace into Hunted Down.

5. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It surprised me to hear so many old songs on this tour.

Chrome_Head and dixiedixie69 like this.
  6. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

Yep, you're right. Apparently Matt chose the setlists. That show in Dublin had Flower in there aswell.

Interpolantics and Chrome_Head like this.
  7. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

Everytime i try Batmotorfinger i'm getting tired after two or three songs. I probably don't like Chris Cornell's vocals and maybe the band's grungy hard-rock style too.

I haven't given up though, after all i love most of the grunge bands.. I still fear Soundgarden might rot in my "can't really dig them because of the singer" band list, along with The Smashing Pumpkins, Mudhoney or even Led Zeppelin... Every word i say i what i meaaaaaaaaaaann...

8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, have you heard Cornell's solo acoustic album Songbook?

9. nowyouknow

nowyouknow Music addict

I didn't know about it, no. I'm listening "I'm the Highway" right now. He might be a tiny bit demonstrating but i got to admit he got skills.

10. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I read a quote from an engineer that said most singers use the microphone to enhance their power and Cornell overpowers the mics...they were more eloquent, but you could tell they were blown away by what he could do vocally.

DTK and Chrome_Head like this.
  12. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Badmotorfinger is probably the album where Cornell goes over the top the most - I mean, I'm a fan but there are moments on that album where even I wish he'd just calm down a little! If you want to give them another go, I'd check out Superunknown - it's a longer album, but his vocals are toned down a little. They're still great, but maybe easier to listen to if Badmotorfinger puts you off.

GodShifter and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Love Soundgarden, even love Audioslave. Chris Cornell Rocks

Boomy and Chrome_Head like this.
  14. Chrome_Head

I’ve read the same thing about Bowie, so Chris was a lot like Bowie in that regard.

DTK likes this.
  15. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well, I guess to each his own) I think on early SG albums Chris goes over the top, and on Badmotorfinger he finally has some finesse. Actually, Audioslave is perfect in my opinion and that's how I started. Still, BMF is something I listen to from start to finish, and still found myself going to outer world on Room a Thousand Years Wide...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think there might be a slight disconnect between fans who like Soundgarden and those who like Audioslave and Cornell solo. It's a bit like Foo Fighters fans who find Nirvana too abrasive or haven't heard them. Not exactly the same thing, but raw versus polished/radio rock.

Soundslave and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The drum sound on Badmotorfinger is pitifully puny compared to the massive wall of sound of everything else. They really screwed up the mix with the drums. They’re compressed and sound awful.

musictoad, CassetteDek and Ma Kelly like this.
  18. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Ha you're not wrong! I do really like Badmotorfinger, but kind of in the same way that I like something like Sabbath's Paranoid as underneath both albums there's some really strong materal trying to get out but which is smothered by dodgy sonics. Badmotorfinger should rip your face off, but it never does, which is why I've never understood the occassional complaint I see that Superunknown is too wimpy because it sounds fantastic in comparison. Cameron's drum sound on that album is just perfection. I've probably said that loads of times here, but anyway Badmotorfinger is one of my most disappointing sounding albums - still love it though.

CassetteDek and GodShifter like this.
  19. Chrome_Head

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, Superunknown sounds really good. I’ve always compared that album to Physical Graffiti. It’s Soundgarden’s equivalent anyway. A lot of different approaches to songs, but almost all work. For an album labeled “wimpy”, it contains two of their heaviest and darkest songs in “4th of July” (ironic I mention that song today) and “Just Like Suicide”.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Also Cornell wrote Temple Of The Dog released in 1991. Exploding with great material those few years. Seems lots of the top alt-metal groups were exploding with great extra material around albums 2 and 3.

DTK, miller_time22 and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, so Soundgarden's official second album would be Louder Than Love. While that is a favorite (along with Ultramega OK), Soundgarden didn't really come into real prominence until Badmotorfinger and "Outshined". Very few videos came out of LtL; maybe two or three with Badmotorfinger.

Superunknown
    is what broke them 'mainstream' with "Black Hole Sun" and "Spoonman" to a lesser extent. Sadly, they'd have one more album in them before going on a long hiatus. You look at all the guys in Soundgarden (including Hiro Yamamoto & Jason Everman) the one guy that really did well for himself, outside of Cornell, was Cameron and that was because he hooked up with his friends in Pearl Jam. Nobody else has done much (yes, there's Hater and Truly, but those bands didn't do much). A bit puzzling there wasn't more proliferation of stuff from ex-members. To date, beyond a guest appearance here or there, Kim Thayil has done nothing and seems to have no desire to do so. He's said as much.

23. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I agree a bit with the drum sound, however it never bothered me for some reason. I was very young when I listened to the album and I accepted it from the start. When I heard the surround mix from the box set is when it hit me that a more conventional drum sound heightens the experience a bit. Since then, I ripped my BR disc of the surround mix and now listen to it more frequently than the original CD version (mainly because I enjoy to listen to my favorite albums in different versions and mixes, not necessarily because I prefer it over the original)
    Unfortunately the 25th anniversary CD is only a (harsh) remaster and not even a downmix of the multichannel version. I highly recommend everyone here to listen to the surround remix of both BMF and Superunknown with headphones on and get your mind blown once again.

musicnonstop and GodShifter like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well it's good Matt has PJ to fall back on (not a fan). I can't imagine how Kim and Ben must have have felt after the...event, maybe it has totally soured their will to make new music. Especially Ben seems like a sensitive, passionate guy.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Kim wasn’t doing anything before the band regrouped. He once said something about liking to drive around in his convertible Cadillac and not do anything else. He’s earned that, before and now.

I have no idea what the state of the mind of the rest of the guys is now. I do know from listening to the Matt Cameron podcast I posted, he’s doing several things outside of Pearl Jam. Soundgarden was discussed, but more its origins and how he came to join. Appropriately, nothing was mentioned about Cornell’s death or any plans about the band in any shape or form.

Chrome_Head and DTK like this.