Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Another episode with Beinhorn going thru the performances & gear used on Spoonman

bkbk and Soundslave like this.
  2. Sentient(Jæ)Ant

Sentient(Jæ)Ant Well-Known Member

I was fortunate to see Soundgarden twice- in ‘96 at “The Palace” in Auburn Hills and in ‘13 at Terminal 5 in NYC. I enjoyed the latter show much more. Despite the fact that Chris had changed the way he sang at that point (out of necessity) he sang much better at Terminal 5 and the band just played better.

I still love spinning my original translucent blue Superunknown. Snared it on eBay 10 years ago for just $100, sealed. But from what I’ve read here, I really hope we get an AAA reissue. This has to be one of my top ten albums, period.

I’ve never really dug into Higher Truth but will do. I bought Euphoria Morning the day it was released in ‘99 and it’s just SO awesome. Easily Chris’s best album post-SG, and better than King Animal by a wide margin.

Here’s a gem of a YouTube vid of one of the first shows of the Euphoria Morning tour. Chris is in stellar voice.

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

was lucky enough to see soundgarden opening for neil young in 1993. they played some stuff from the album before it came out and I still remember it.

4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I've never bought any of Chris's solo work thanks for the tip on Euphoria morning I'll check that out.

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

There's no denying what a great album Superunknown is. I have a preference for Badmotorfinger, but Superunknown is excellent

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Its wonderful!!

7. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Some good stuff on here but this is where the Soundgarden plane crashed into the mountain for me. A lot of that ties to how overplayed BHS was there for a year or so.

8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

He played two shows at Town Hall in NYC before the album even came out. He was blown away. "You guys haven't even heard the record yet, it might suck." That band was fantastic too with Alain and Natasha (RIP).

9. Sentient(Jæ)Ant

Sentient(Jæ)Ant Well-Known Member

Haha, classic Chris remark.

Wow I can only imagine how amazing those Town Hall shows were. I saw Wayne Shorter there with Danilo Perez and Brian Blade. The show was an hour plus of non-stop, completely improvised music and is probably in my top ten shows ever. Crazy.

And yes you're right, Eleven were great and RIP Natasha.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

i dont think the 94 original had She Like Surprises on it. at least mine doesnt but there were many reissues made ...
    but at end of day YES, try to snag the 2004 32o pressing. its weird that it sounds so good being its kinda thin. i will say tho that the 2014 UK reissue sounds nearly as good...

11. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I’ve pretty much given up on the 320. When they do pop up on discogs or eBay, they go incredibly quick for stupid dumb prices. This album desperately needs a proper reissue.

Guapito, vinyldad62 and dobyblue like this.
  12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Jealous!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I saw SG several times between 1994 (the single show they did in Canada jointly with NIN and also Marilyn Manson, Pop Will Eat Itself, Rev. Horton Heat and You Am I) and 2014 (also with NIN); the Jan 26 2013 show in Toronto on the small club tour that ended with the Wiltern shows was easily the best, Chris' voice was so on form that night. It was a little worn by the time they hit LA and you can hear that on the Blu-ray but still...listening to Outshined from Wiltern shows just how awesome SG were when Chris was on form.

The acoustic stop I saw in Buffalo was so off the hook, I wish they would release a Blu-ray of that because it was stunning. Chris' voice solo acoustic filling a room designed for nuanced performances, wow. So glad I got to see him solo one time.

Soundslave and TongueDruid like this.
  14. TongueDruid

YIKES that NIN/Manson/RHH show must've been amazing!! Along with SG those were all in my top 5 favorite bands at that time (well, Rev somewhere in the Top 20...)
    I also saw that SG tour in Jan. 2013 at the Orpheum in Boston, that was also the best time I saw 'em as well! Only saw them a cpl more times... But yeah, small theater & they were on POINT

15. Superunknown has been properly re-issued. Just get this 2xLP & you should be as happy as I was to hear it:
    Soundgarden - Superunknown

Admerr and TongueDruid like this.
  16. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I agree. I am quite happy with mine. And for the mythical 320: is there really any proof that it is really AAA? I mean, it doesn’t make sense that mastertapes were shipped over to Germany to be cut there for a small vinyl reissue. Or am I missing something comepletely here? I have not heard the 320, so I am not arguing that it doesn’t sound better than other pressings, but the AAA-nes of it, I sincerely doubt.

Krzych and TongueDruid like this.
  17. TongueDruid

I have it & I've A/B'ed it versus the 2014 remaster. The 2014 sounds pretty damn great! But truthfully AAA or not, the 320 does sound better. It has a much bigger low end without sacrificing detail, and feels more spacial/has a bit more depth. But I also believe that may just be because the 2014 is very mid-forward, pushing everything to the front. The vocals especially sit in the front more on the 2014 with its mid-bump, but I'll never complain about having a little more Chris in the mix!
    The top end extension on both, from what I remember, are pretty similar... but the cymbals on the 320 do sound more crisp since it doesn't have the bump in the high-mids like the 2014. That bump changes the "color" of the cymbals a bit. Still great though.
    That 2014 is definitely a great remaster, and I've no real complaints about it! I only wished it offered some more low-end & depth once I A/B'ed it vs the 320. That 320 really does blow up the outside world (hyuck hyuck!) a bit more than any other version. But you really cannot go wrong with either the original cd, the 2014 or the 320.

pexie, dobyblue, Soundslave and 4 others like this.
  18. TongueDruid

Sorry, I just realized my gushing didn't really touch upon your questioning of the AAA chain... I really am not sure of that! Was it ever even officially stated as being AAA, or did someone just randomly start a rumor? I'm assuming at this point maybe only the late, great Mr. Makee could've told us...
    Does anyone have any stone evidence of the AAA rumor being true?!

Beaker73 likes this.
  19. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

My original blue vinyl copy did have She Likes Surprises on it, last song on the album.

20. vinyldad62

i stand corrected. let me check mine right quick....

21. vinyldad62

you are correct! where in the world did i see that?!
    i'm sure i saw it missing on a copy somewhere. i have 4 different issues and they all have it. maybe i dreamed that

22. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Somehow this pressing has flown under my radar. I had no idea it was well regarded and used the original tapes. Gotta’ be honest, the cover art alone would’ve made me skip it in the past. Might be a great example of judging the book by its cover.

Tracked a copy down for a good price and going to pull the trigger to see how it sounds. I appreciate the heads up.

Old Rusty likes this.
  23. Ya man, that's why were all here, no? Point each other in the right direction. True story: I was mailed the 200-gram 2014 2xLP set by mistake.
    Ordered this one: Soundgarden - Superunknown
    But got this one: Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Informed the seller, but he said 'no problem, keep & enjoy your album!' Cool, if I do say so myself...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Soundslave likes this.
  24. vinyldad62

i have the UK release of 2014 and very happy with it. is the US a better press?
    nice table Old Rusty

Old Rusty likes this.
  25. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Precisely why we’re all here. Although, this thread is always a nice change. Everyone seems to be helpful and avoids the hostility found in other threads.

It looks like you ordered the Euro release but received the US version? Based on the quick research, it looks like the US copy was plated and pressed at QRP. Funny, I’m about to order my copy directly (or indirectly) from the source, Acoustic Sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.