Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let us know which pressing you get, ya just never know until you unwrap it.

2. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

For sure. I usually get packages from them with the quickness. Will report back.

scarfaceclaw and Old Rusty like this.
  3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Not a rumor. The truth was that original 1994 was pressed poorly and maybe it was a case of using CD master (as on Pearl Jam - Ten).
    Now why people are often bring '320' - in early 2000s Universal started a reissue campaign for some of the albums in Germany (some reissues came with a sticker, such as below on Nevermind)
    [​IMG]

Now assuming that those reissues were official and were cut in Hannover, Germany where Willem Makkee was operating (hence 320 in the deadwax) and based on the fact that he was working with the tapes people started to note on various forums that 320 reissues are from the master tapes. Were they using the original studio tapes or some production tapes is another question, but that's how it all started from my searches.
    Also, not to forget a couple of blog entres on Analog Planet - Who's Cutting Those Lacquers? Part 1
    Who's Cutting Those Lacquers? Part 2

4. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

Thanks a ton for sharing those!! Very informative indeed... So from what I just gathered from reading: As we all know the 320 obviously indicates it was cut in Hanover. This interview confirms it was likely by Makkee, but could've randomly been someone else depending on which release, since he says there've been others there. The great thing is he clearly states a few times that it's an analogue-only chain in the facility (and this was 2004, same year as the Superunknown 320.) If he ever hears a tape sent to him that was sourced from digital he would send it right back and procure a copy of the master if they won't send the actual master tape! What. A. Guy. Some cool process info in there too! He only used minimal amounts of de-essing, and never used a limiter, as to keep all the transients in tact and let the analogue chain itself "smooth" out any hard edges with its natural saturation properties. It also sounds like he was primarily using that Ortofon cutter with the stylus controlling up to 18khz. Superunknown certainly has tons of info in that high register.

So anywho, it is pretty damn safe to say that Superunknown 320 was cut AAA. :cool: Thanks again @Soundslave!!!

Another random aside: I did grab the Badmotorfinger 320 recently, and holy crapple it sounds phenomenal compared to that 2016 remaster! Much more top-end extension, and MUCH more dynamic & detailed! The 320's drum transients really crack u in the head, and I remember the snare having waaaay more room/reverb info coming off of the tail... The remaster's snare drum was completely choked out and congested, comparatively. I'm sure there were other obvious differences that I can't remember at the moment since it's been awhile since my shootout... I do remember thinking the remaster had not even 1 redeeming quality compared to the 320. The 320 was cut quieter, which I've read people gripe about, but I don't have a clue why that'd be considered a "negative" since the pressing is relatively flawless/noise free! It sounded just as great to me on a low volume as well, but I know some stereo systems and/or speakers need volume to open up. In which case I'd be faulting the playback system, not the pressing. Either way, to each their own.
    I am waiting on an original EU pressing of BMF to shootout against the 320. Not sure when it'll arrive across the pond here tho, since this covid19 business is halting/slowing international shipments. I'll throw my findings up on here when I get to it, for anyone who's interested...

pexie and Soundslave like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

In the mean time, you might grab A-Sides LP since so many Superunknown tracks are on that comp. I picked up the RSD version and the SQ is quite good.

In fact, I need to spin that again!

6. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

No problem Torque. I'm always in search for some info and facts about the records I like from my favorite bands.
    Yeah, I also like the '320' of BMF which is my favorite SG record in fact :)

vinyldad62 and TongueDruid like this.
  7. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

2014 Austin Tx
    SXSW

PH416156 and Admerr like this.
  8. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Def interested in hearing if Acoustic Sounds is indeed stocking the US 200g.

Soundslave likes this.
  9. vinyldad62

yes please keep us posted
    i'm interested as well

10. vinyldad62

Admerr, can you please provide link to ASounds of which one you ordered. I only see the 180 g

11. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I ordered the 180 gram. Didn’t realize there’s two versions that had a US release pressed at QRP.

Aside from the weight, is there any difference with the mastering and source between the two? Both reference the original tapes in the discogs info.

I honestly don’t care about the weight. Only the source and mastering.

12. vinyldad62

Admerr and TongueDruid like this.
  13. TongueDruid

The 2014 & 2019 pressings are all the same exact Stephen Marcussen remaster. Same stampers used & everything

Soundslave and Admerr like this.
  14. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. Seems odd that QRP pressed the same cut at different weights.

15. vinyldad62

on the 2014 reissue, UK press used GZ while US used QRP.
    at least that is what discogs is stating...

I have the 2019 red/orange Translucent which i do NOT like.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  16. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

They sure do. a copy popped up on Discogs on 22nd March for $2,000. I clicked on the daily 'wanted list' email from Discogs about an hour after it was sent and the link was already broken, it was gone.

Admerr likes this.
  17. vinyldad62

I saw that as well. No album is worth that

TongueDruid likes this.
  18. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Forum Resident

I was 14, I already listened my Ten and Vs cassettes to shreds, when I got a 39 degree fever. :D I asked my mom to buy me the Superunknown cassette. :D
    I still love it. The rhythm section is amazing, as is Cornell's singing of course. And the songs... I like almost all of them... my favorite of the "unheralded" songs is maybe Limo Wreck. One more thing, the songs are pretty varied to keep you occupied even after so many listens.

TongueDruid likes this.
  19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

The problem with the remaster, and why the 320 IIRC is reviewed better by those comparing, is it was digitally mastered at 24/192 and is pretty hot, the 320 analogue-cut remaster will be more open dynamically. I actually prefer the original CD mastering to the new 24/192 master when I'm listening on the main system and sadly the surround mix is rubbish. The 320 Badmotorfinger does sound good but think how much potential was left on the table by cutting this on a single LP. It runs over 28 mins (SIDE TWO) and over 29 mins (SIDE ONE). :(

Would love to get a proper AAA 2LP of Badmotorfinger. At least the surround mix of this one is mostly listenable, I think Adam Kasper too heed of some of the public criticisms via reviews as he mostly fixed the #1 issue, vocal panning. Idiotic to put Eddie's co-lead vocal in the right rears for Hunger Strike and much of Superunknown vocals were mixed ALL CH STEREO, completely defeating the wide open space effect a good surround mix should create.

TongueDruid likes this.
  20. TongueDruid

I completely agree on the original Superunknown cd as being the best option besides the 320. I've never had a surround system so I've never ventured down that rte... But I know someday when I do set one up it'll be a whole 'nother world I'll get obsessive about :laugh:

I'm dyin' to hear at least "The Downward Spiral" on a good surround system.

dobyblue and George P like this.
  21. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

As anyone who is a Stones fan can attest, Stephen "The Masher" Marcussen will not allow any dynamics or subtle nuance to escape unharmed.

I can't believe people ask him to do what he does, or that it's what they want done. It's the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger on the new QRP; "well, if Stephen Marcussen mastered the digital files, they're crushed and there's no saving it."

dobyblue likes this.
  22. pexie

pexie Forum Resident

Hi all. Still intrigued after so many years of searching out a '320' Superunknown. I culled through the thread again and was wondering from someone who has experienced or possibly owns a 2004 German pressing - what color vinyl are they? Just black? Also it was mentioned these 320s are thinly pressed, correct. Trying to identify if I have located one to the best of our resources.
    Thanks a bunch!

23. TongueDruid

Yes, black wax only. They are around 180g, not thin pressings. Also, a good way to tell it's the 320 from the packaging is that it's the only official vinyl pressing that sports the original cover art, but does NOT have the text "Also available on BASF chrome tape, digital compact cassette and compact disc." written along the bottom center on the pack of the gatefold. All of the original pressings from all countries had that text written on the bottom of the back (underneath the tracklisting and credits n such), but the 320 repress didn't.

bkbk and pexie like this.
  24. TongueDruid

Sorry, the Korean & Brazilian pressings didn't have that text either, but the back of their gatefolds (and their record labels) look way different than all the other pressings anyway...

25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Playing the original CD at the moment.

One thing that strikes me is how good “Head Down” is. Anyone else a fan of this song?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.