Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Me too. Love it!

2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

“Half” is great.

3. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I'm a fan of every single note of every single song on that album...

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Always loved it. Ben Shepherd's tracks on this album are great, I always liked what he brought to the band song-wise.

Timos and The Gomper like this.
  5. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

best word for me to describe to someone would be "Masterpiece"

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Hell yeah... Kind of under the radar with all of the ridiculous hit songs on this record, but this is a great song. I think I've actually looked past this one a little over the years. Beautiful intro, and the percussion in the middle section is so good.

My favorite song on this album is easily Fresh Tendrils. Incredible guitar riff with one of my favorite Cornell vocal performances. Pure badass rock.

7. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

I always favored "The Day I Tried To Live" as my all time favorite on the album, although I love every second of SUPERUNKNOWN

8. George P

George P Notable Member

I love the vocal moment in that song, near the end . . . I woke the same, as any other day, you know I SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

And that lyric . . . the lives we make, never seem to ever get us anywhere but dead.

Reesdog, Dmann201, Umbari and 4 others like this.
  9. vinyldad62

10. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Guapito and vinyldad62 like this.
  11. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  12. vinyldad62

2004 320?
    I guess I dont see that...
    Can you provide link?
    Thanks

13. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

14. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

15. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...FFFFUUUUU###%%%****K yeah! :agree::thumbsup:

16. AXington

AXington I'm that b.

You should all contact Acoustic Sounds/AP/QRP and request it. They say they listen to requests. Apparently it's been "almost" done several times before, but some legal thing got in the way or something.

Admerr and vinyldad62 like this.
  17. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Incredible album, one of my favourites - probably in my top 10 of all time. A sure fire contender for best hard rock album of all time, along with an essential recording from the 90’s.

I don’t think any other album more perfectly married ‘heavy’ with ‘tuneful’ than this. These songs are heavy as hell - the bass is deep, the riffs seismic and doom-laden, the drumming is pile-driving and the singer wails like a tortured banshee. And yet, these are songs that can be sung in the shower!

I think it’s also a prime example of a band working together perfectly as a unit. Each member plays exactly what is required - no-one outstays their welcome. For all the potential showing off that a lead guitarist could’ve done with music like this, Kim Thayil is surprisingly restrained. Plus, not a second is wasted on this release. There’s no fat, and no filler. Even Half, which is probably my least favourite track, offers some psychedelic-tinged variation, and is at very worst a refreshing pallet-cleanser. And Kickstand is a bit of a dumb-down by the album’s standards, but again, its punky aggression adds to the ‘topography’ of the set.

It took me a long time to appreciate the ‘Beatlesesque’ elements - I honestly had no idea what contemporary reviewers were talking about when they made that observation. I get it now though - I can hear the heavier side of Abbey Road in Like Suicide, and turn Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds upside down and dip it in a bucket of soot and you’ve got Black Hole Sun (not my words, unfortunately!)!

Another point I’ll make is that I love the album ending with I Like Surprises on the European version. I’m from the UK and always thought the album was supposed to end like this - it sees itself off with a cheeky glint in its eye, as opposed to the doomed finale of Like Suicide (which, of course, is another amazing track, particularly in that two-chord jam section that plays it out).

And finally, I’ll expect flack for this - but I love the remaster on CD. Yes, it’s louder, but to my ears it also sounds more detailed, more ‘3D’, even. I don’t care about DR ratings. They’re a good guide, but you can’t say something sounds rubbish just by looking at a waveform. The original is more dynamic, but always sounded a bit muddy to me. I’ll keep the older one though - I still like it for reference. And it’s beat to hell - shows how much I loved the album in the first place.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  18. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Same. That's why I decided to accompany my original EU CD with the remastered LP (plus the price was unbelievable, roughly 19.44$) and was quite satisfied. Loud but listenable indeed. Until some audiophile reissue will come out I think I'm happy to have both versions on different media.

19. NudieSuitNezHead

NudieSuitNezHead No Michael, "teriyaki" is NOT 13 letters...

I enjoy music with weird time signatures. TOOL will play songs where each instrument plays in a different time signature...

20. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I was obsessed with Black Hole Sun when it came out. New music of the day wasn't really our thing in my set at school but I liked the new Aerosmith stuff and now this got played a lot on MtV and I just thought it was weird and glorious and heavy and soulful. Anyway, I went out to buy the single and played it to my girlfriend at the time, who snorted at me "what is that, it sounds like John Lennon on acid?". A good observation for a 14 year old in hindsight but I was quite wounded. I think she appreciates the record better these days.

I don't see Soundgarden as that Beatle-y overall, though they did take influences from many places like most good bands do. Obviously the Zep and Sabbath are stronger in them but with Superunknown the addition of psychedelic elements really bumped things into a special place. I used to hate Kickstand and Half but now can't imagine the album without them, they give it its flavour - its one of the best sequenced albums I can think of (which is why I don't like She Likes Surprises on the end. It's the weakest song there for sure).

21. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

Such an amazing Album. Its about time I listen to it again.

pexie and Timos like this.
  22. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I’ve loved, and I mean loved, the last three Soundgarden albums. All great. “King Animal” was surprisingly great.

23. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

And this morning at 4am I bought the Super Deluxe of “Badmotorfinger”. Couldn’t sleep so I figured why not buy something I’ve wanted for awhile!

24. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

pexie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.