Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TongueDruid

TongueDruid The Delectable Dingleberry

johnnypaddock and Neonbeam like this.
  2. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

Yes I did, dude needs to chill.
    It’s not that big of a deal, all one has to do is say “no thanks”.
    I’ve had people message me several times concerning lps on my collection list, I don’t mind it at all.

Mondie and TongueDruid like this.
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Not as powerful as the ones he gave us in Slaves and Bulldozers.

Spastica and Soundslave like this.
  4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Their next album, Down On the Upside is even worse

Soundslave likes this.
  5. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

yeah, what a chap

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  6. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

What is going on here?

7. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I just messaged him asking if he ships to america :D

8. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

9. ripping corpse

Yes I think it’s still up.
    What about the guy telling people to just settle for the 2014 reissue, unless they can find the 320 for $60!
    Now I have not heard any reissue pressings of Superunknown but his opinion of it is pretty high, or maybe he is?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  10. danielkov86

The guy replied: are you sure you really want to spend $800 on this?

Lol, this guy really doesn't want to sell this record.

11. TongueDruid

That guy on Discogs is correct (and no I am not him. :laugh:) The 2014 of Superunknown is absolutely not a slouch, and definitely better than the original vinyl pressing. I personally A/B/C'ed the 320 vs the 2014 & the original CD multiple times on a very detailed/transparent stereo system, and also on my corrected studio monitors in my treated mixing room. From memory, the basic cliff notes in every instance was:
    -320 has the biggest bottom end & sounds fantastic but lacks a touch of the detail showcased in the original cd (since that bottom end takes up more real estate and leaves a pinch less room for mids/fx to shine thru.)
    -2014 is more mid-centric than both the 320 and cd, a touch more of a forward presentation. Vocals shine thru a touch more on this one. Still plenty of bottom & top. Not squashed or even noticeably compressed/overly-limited by any means. Very unlike the Badmotorfinger remaster, it is a great master & pressing.
    -Original CD has a little less bottom than both. A pinch more detailed all around, as a result.

You're absolutely safe buying & cranking any of these 3 for maximum enjoyment. I'd also say that paying top dollar for the Superunknown 320 yields not much of an audible benefit in relation to its current outrageous asking prices... But to each their own. I certainly had the itch for a long time, found one, and these are the honest findings. It isn't as god-like a Master as the internet would like you to believe. It's f**cking great, no doubt, but so are the other 2 options.

Reesdog, Admerr, pexie and 3 others like this.
  12. ripping corpse

Well my point was, I just thought the $60ish was a bit ridiculous, especially nowadays.
    Hey that’s great there is a nice sounding vinyl alternative then, because the original cd and vinyl of Superunknown was/is not very crankable, the 320 sure is.

13. TongueDruid

Well if'n someone doesn't think the old CD is crankable then they likely won't enjoy the remaster either. The high-mids displayed in the original cd & also the remaster are the only thing that can be considered offensive when compared to the 320. The 320 relaxes them @ 2kHz, which then let's the bottom & top come forward a bit more. I remember actually boosting that spot in my DAW by 3dB with a wide Q (on the 320 rip) and it sounded indistinguishable from the original CD!

So anywho... EQ preference, which your playback system's character will also either help or hinder your desired result. The 320 is more crankable if the high-mids ever annoyed you on the original CD. Otherwise, if you ever loved the sound of the original album = the ol' CD & the remaster both still bring it & you don't need to stress your mind, body & wallet over obtaining a 320.

On a side note, it kind of reminds me of the new Facelift remaster. A little less "in your face" since they dipped out high-mids in the new master. But unlike the Superunknown 320, the new Facelift absolutely did boost the lows too (since the original was lacking a bit in that dept.) So again, more crankable, but at the expense of its original sonic aggression, which to me always did also make sense with this genre. Until I got towards 40 yrs old I never once thought "man I wish this album didn't rip my head off!" :laugh: Young'uns sure do love extremity...
    Well, at least I did.

Chrome_Head, Krzych and Soundslave like this.
  14. danielkov86

I think the original CD sounds fantastic, and I'm usually more of a vinyl guy. :wiggle:

15. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

Agreed. I have a copy of the original vinyl and I play the original CD much more often. Lots of IGD on the original vinyl makes it hard to listen to some songs (Head Down being the best example).

TongueDruid likes this.
  16. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I'm happy that your far more technical view actually supports what I hear - I always felt that original CD was kind of bright a tad on the mids and since 320 is hard to get, I went for remastered LP and thought I nailed what I wanted for sure. A tad more compressed, but still enjoyable to listen to.
    I also really liked the new Facelift remaster exactly for the points you mentioned - a bit more stable on mid-high, and added bass.

Guapito and TongueDruid like this.
  17. Reesdog

Reesdog Forum Resident

Superunknown is a super special album for me too, brought the CD when it was first released and have accumulated a few different versions over the years, mostly on vinyl now.

I have:

1994 Original Australian CD
    2013 Unofficial Euro x2 Vinyl
    2014 Remastered Euro x2 Vinyl
    2014 Remastered US x2 Vinyl

The original CD is the one I've listened to the most of course and is the mix I'm used to. The 2014 remasters are very good on my system, I like the sound of them, but can't help thinking they could definitely sound better, more clarity and instrument separation required. I'd love to get a copy of the 2004 - 320 pressing, but I'm not paying those outrageous prices it's crept up to, I pray for a repress of this also. I have a 2003 - 320 pressing of Badmotorfinger which as most here would know sounds superb. The 2013 unofficial I have of Superunknown sounds absolutely hideous (do not buy it!). I only keep it for the original artwork which is a spot-on replica is that regard.

My favourite tracks used to be Limo Wreck and The Day I tried To Live (which I still love btw), but that's changed, now its Fresh Tendrils and Like Suicide. 4th Of July is amazing too with that double Chris vocal. So I guess I've always liked the second half of the album more..

Think I might have posted this is in another Soundgarden thread. Managed to see them live just the once on the Down On The Upside tour in 1996 and it was really awesome. There was a dark vibe to the gig, the band definitely didn't look happy, but they played brilliantly, I remember Jesus Christ Pose being particularly hectic in the mosh! They played plenty of tracks off BMF, SU and DOTUS which are my three favourite albums by the band so I was very pleased. It was a gloomy day as I remember, perfect for going to a Soundgarden concert.

RIP Chris.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  18. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Just took delivery of the 2014 US 200g remaster. It’s delicious to my ears and a ton better than my 1994 blue vinyl. I’m a happy camper.

JeffMo, Spastica, Soundslave and 4 others like this.
  19. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

Glad you are enjoying it. I really like it too. It has mixed reviews on discogs, different strokes I guess.\,,/

Greenalishi and TongueDruid like this.
  20. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Soundgarden do a good job on their catalogue. Looking forward to Louder than Love being reissued.

Spastica and mr. faded glory like this.
  21. mr. faded glory

mr. faded glory Forum Resident

This one is out there and pretty good. [​IMG]

Greenalishi likes this.
  22. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I want live stuff

23. bkbk

bkbk Forum Resident

Are there any good (or any at all) soundgarden bootlegs? Official ones?

Spastica likes this.
  24. CassetteDek

CassetteDek social distancing since 1979

Can we just talk about the mellotron on the bridge of Mailman goddammm I love it so spooky

Spastica likes this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Great album. I haven’t been listening to it much mostly because my original vinyl sounds like sh#t. I remember the cd sounding much better actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.