Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

A great band at their absolute peak (it’s nice when a band’s biggest album is also their best).

Sentient(Jæ)Ant and George P like this.
  2. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Because the master tapes are actually analog, Analog productions or Mofi UHQR should do a legit reissue. The tapes aren't that old and it would absolutely sell.

3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Mailman!

vinyldad62 and Oliver like this.
  4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I've got the 1994 U.S. LP on orange vinyl. Looks super, sounds okay.

From what I've read elsewhere, the 1994 vinyl was mastered from CD, so the CD would be superior for that release.

5. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

It’s available for pre-order to celebrate the album’s 25th anniversary.

180 g Double Red & Gold Translucent Vinyl. Released on April 5th.

6. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

No mention of the source or mastering which probably tells you all you need to know about this reissue. It amazes me that what is prbably the best album to be released since 1992 sounds best on the hard to find German pressed '320' vinyl. Would love a well mastered 2LP 45rpm set but until then, the 320 is the reference.

johnnypaddock and VinylMario like this.
  7. VinylMario

VinylMario The Crow

Not the best, But...
    Audio from 2014's remaster of the original stereo masters.

8. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

I assume it’s the same source as the 2014 pressing. That was well received as I recall...at least I hope it was as I’ve already pre-ordered!

9. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Stone cold classic!

10. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I give Badmotorfinger a slight edge, but yeah... very good album.

pablorkcz, Soundslave and weekendtoy like this.
  11. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

They are reissuing all of soundgardens albums on color vinyl...right after i finished purchasing them already! hah

VinylMario likes this.
  12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I have the 320 but would still like to see it done as either a UHQR or maybe the Mofi One Step. It's an important enough album to receive the royal treatment. If they can retrieve sufficient information from tapes made in the 60's to produce a solid analog reissue, there's no reason this title from the 90's couldn't sound worlds better.

Paully, Soundslave, Mondie and 3 others like this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Such a great 90's album. Kind of bittersweet to listen to these days...

14. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

This album really needs another AAA repress by one of the usual reissue camps.

Finding a 320 of this has proven to be nearly impossible.

15. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Fantastic album. I always really enjoyed the song "Fourth of July." :whistle:

Zoot Marimba and Greenalishi like this.
  16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Great album. Apart from the obvious highlights, I dig "My Wave."

Also, the song "Like Suicide," I prefer the acoustic version.

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I love Nirvana, and Kurt would sometimes act as if Soundgarden didn't matter to him, but he was full of you-know-what (part of the reason that he wanted to record Nirvana's first album at Reciprocal Studios was because he liked the way Screaming Life sounded).
    Here's Dave Grohl talking about hearing Black Hole Sun while Nirvana were recording at their last recording session (doing 'You Know You're Right').

18. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Awesome video with the original producer on how the album was actually recorded:

Reesdog, bobbradley, Krzych and 6 others like this.
  19. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

In reference to the German 2004, 320 pressing, I see on Discogs there is a A&M listing as well as a Universal for this release, can anyone here confirm the Universal one that has a slightly different catalog #,Or just one of the many mistakes that plague that site.
    Thanks

20. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

No difference. The guy that created the European initially couldn't find the tiny Universal logo on his copy and also doesn't like the 220 catalog number for the German one and won't merge them til I'm guessing someone changes the catalog number to 215 for the German release.

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

They also released (on a 5-song EP) an acoustic version of "Like Suicide" -- I really like this version as well.

Greenalishi and George P like this.
  22. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

Ok thanks 808, I appreciate it, had me worried for a bit.

Greenalishi and 808_state like this.
  23. townsend

townsend Senior Member

My apologies, I should have checked to see if youtube had the acoustic version -- now I woke up and here it is, if you are interested -- I really dig it:

Greenalishi and 808_state like this.
  24. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

The video version of Fell On Black Days is superior to the studio version IMHO.

Spastica, mattdm11, MoonPool and 3 others like this.
  25. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Based on Beinhorn's comments it would seem the band wanted to record this album quickly and it was he that really pushed them (to their limits) to take their time. The dude is like a guru. That could explain why the 2014 and 320 sound different from one another, meaning they weren't really concerned with preserving his vision of how it should sound so long as their album is back on the shelves. Still though as fresh as those tapes are it's criminal to not wring every last bit of magic out of them. The album is simply too good for good enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.