Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Truncheon1

Truncheon1 Active Member

Being a Soundgarden nut, how did I not know about said ‘German 320’ pressing. Clearly I still have much to learn. How much better than original US version, and the 94 Australian CD ? And what’s the skinny on the 2019 reissue? Do I need them? (I know I want)

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Well that was a rare reissue :) Don't know why Badmotorfinger was not that limited being the 320 edition though...

Now, to answer your questions:
    - A lot of people say that early original 1994 LPs are bad sounding.
    - Original CDs are better but still have some sound flaws EQ-wise
    I know a guy in Russia who has his own Youtube channel for vinyl stuff and he did a comparison of that rare 320 press of Superunknown and the more recent 2014 reissue. You can use subs and translation function on the video. He doesn't say anything about CDs since he's only in for vinyl.

- 2019 reissue is based on 2014 remastering made from original master tapes (good sign) but was heavily compressed (bad sign) so in fact it sounds worse than Badmotorfinger reissue (kinda similar to Nirvana's reissues problem, where Nevermind 2011 sounds worse than In Utero 2013).
    Since it's all complicated with Superunknown I'm happy with the original 1994 CD for now and don't want to get any anniversary LPs.
    If you really want to get it on LP 2014 or 2019 is the easiest way, but overall it's 6/10 per Valeron's rating. It's not a disaster and sounds somewhat better than original 1994 issue, but that 2004 '320' is the best variant. But even of you'll be very lucky to find one expect a very high price for it.

3. Truncheon1

Truncheon1 Active Member

Thank you - this was extremely helpful for my knowledge (and wallet)

Soundslave likes this.
  4. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Very helpful. I’d love to find the 320 but I’m really giving up hope at this point. It rarely pops up and each passing day will just drive the price higher.

It’s a shame we haven’t seen another quality AAA repress.

Soundslave likes this.
  5. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I’ve heard that if enough people ask MSFL to produce an AAA copy of an album, they consider it. Could fans do this?

vinyldad62, Admerr and 808_state like this.
  6. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Absolutely. You might even play up that you will also consider pitching it to Analogue Productions (Acoustic Sounds) for their UHQR vinyl. Let's get a competition going! :D I have the 320
    and still think it's ridiculous that a AAA version is near impossible to find (I'm certainly not holding my breath on finding a back up copy).

Seriously though what a missed opportunity to just let the tapes sit and degrade!

Guapito likes this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

"Spoonman". Ladies and gentlemen, Matt Cameron. Loved this album.

notesofachord, Old Rusty and drum_cas like this.
  8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I would get this in a heartbeat.

Guapito likes this.
  9. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Watch this. Excellent breakdown of this song by Rick Beato.

10. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

There are a couple of Facebook groups that have a significant amount of SG fans as members and I’m sure many would welcome a AAA copy of Superunknown. Soundgarden Fans and Soundgarden Knights Of The Roundtable being the most prominent.

11. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Make some noise then! I've contacted Analog Productions and even posted to their Acoustic Sounds facebook page about it. I do need to contact Mofi.

vinyldad62 and Guapito like this.
  12. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I know sometimes it's a matter of obtaining the license. Anyone know if there would be difficulty for one of these companies getting the rights?

vinyldad62 likes this.
  14. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Could be but Analogue Productions got the license for The Doors entire studio catalog...that can't be cheap!

Soundslave and Admerr like this.
  15. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

I'd throw Down on the Upside in there, as well.

16. Former Lee Warmer

So many titles from the era (such as The Black Crowes and Pearl Jam's 90s catalogs) were definitely recorded to analog tape...but mixed down to DAT. In the 2 cases I mentioned, there are no analog 2 track masters, so the only way there could be AAA vinyl would be to remix the multis to 2 track analog stereo.

Do we even know if Superunknown has analog 2 track mixdowns available?

kannibal, JasonA and vinyldad62 like this.
  17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks. Great.

18. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

this is one interesting thread

Guapito likes this.
  19. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Interview with Michael Beinhorn discussing the recording of Black Hole Sun and some other Superunknown titbits.

Fastnbulbous and TongueDruid like this.
  20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Do you think this is the most likely reason why Temple Of The Dog was remixed when it was reissued on vinyl?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Spoonman & FOBD are the stand-outs for me.

22. Soundslave

Previous page - Soundgarden, Superunknown

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  23. Former Lee Warmer

It's entirely possible, but I heard they couldn't find the original mixdown masters so they kinda had to remix it anyway .

JasonA likes this.
  24. Soundslave

Yeah that's what I remember as well. Here's the quote btw

pexie and JasonA like this.
  25. vinyldad62

vinyldad62 Forum Resident

was listening to Badmotorfinger earlier today and what a powerful song, track 8 i believe, Room a Thousand Years Wide. What catches my attention is the very beginning when Chris yells. It made me think of the front cover of Superunknown...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.