Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Yeah but in anticipation of the film being released, don't you think from a marketing standpoint they should've and could've had a LOT more copies ready, manufactured and shipped? Clearly SOME were shipped but not enough.

Paperback Writer and Bowie Fett like this.
  2. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

See post 125

Paperback Writer likes this.
  3. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Went again tonight. A masterpiece. This is the type of film you can keep coming back to. Not many movies where it’s a completely different experience on second watch.

First I think...it’s the acting, then I think it’s the cinematography, then I think it’s the soundtrack. It’s the whole damn vibe. Went with someone who is definitely not a movie person at all...they loved it, and want to see it again.

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

The vinyl is due October 25.

We’ll have to reach for the CD or Digital Download for now.

Carl80 and Paperback Writer like this.
  5. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

YES.

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It is a great movie - I know many people here haven't seen it so I won't go into details but I will say that Tarantino and 1969 Los Angeles is as great of a combination as peanut butter and chocolate

Dmann201, Carl80, coolcreek and 3 others like this.
  7. GetHappy!!

And you really do need the physical soundtrack, in this case, because you can’t stream the movie edit of “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”.

BeatleJWOL, HarvG, coolcreek and 2 others like this.
  8. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, definitely worth a listen.

Here’s a song that WAS going to be on the Soundtrack, according to QT, himself.

Sweet Blindness, by Laura Nyro. So we include it on a proposed extended Soundtrack.

Here’s Laura and the hit version by the Fifth Dimension.

Sweet Blindness

DEAN OF ROCK, Adam9 and coolcreek like this.
  9. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Fabulous addition. Must be something in the air, last week I decided I HAD to buy a 5th Dimension CD compilation. They always sound so good!

10. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I spun the double vinyl today and it wasn't loud.
    Quality varied from song to song but it was very listenable and enjoyable.
    This was the version with the printed signature sticker cover.

11. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Thanks, I just pre-ordered from HMV for £31.99. It's listed as "coloured vinyl" but there are no further details. Having purchased the limited release weekend LP, I couldn't stomach the $90 (and likely import duty) for the tequila vinyl.

Edit: I think that the UK releases are on orange or black vinyl with a gatefold sleeve and 24" x 36" poster (from the Rough Trade website).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Paperback Writer and Carl80 like this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

The orange vinyl on HMV is the same as the official store just named differently, there just naming it different but it’s the tequila sunrise variant, you get the poster with the orange vinyl but not the standard LP.

I’m just going with the standard LP and CD I think. CD is out next week !

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

LP is a month earlier in the UK, end of September.

14. Paperback Writer

Here’s a great song for an extended Soundtrack- A Question of Temperature

15. Paperback Writer

Here’s an excerpt from an excellent, in depth article, linked below.
    Definitely worth coming back to read.

How the 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Soundtrack Helps Quentin Tarantino Shape His Version of 1969 Los Angeles

Enjoy:

Paul Revere was the historical figure who let his countrymen know about the invading armies, so it’s no small coincidence that this American band borrowed so heavily from the members of the (musical) British Invasion.

Sharon’s joy at the song is shared, her blaring of the music on a sunny day evocative of the freedom and promise that she represents, tying subtly to a former resident of that same house, and superficially free from anything but riff-fueled fun.

Yet it’s the dark, heavy undercurrent to this pop lightness that injects the entire film with a sense of doom and dread, regardless of narrative catharsis, and the use of these revered Revere tracks is a critical if subtle tool for this ambivalence to be articulated

HarvG, GetHappy!! and coolcreek like this.
  16. Paperback Writer

Here’s a great song from Steppenwolf - one a number of characters in the movie could relate to:

Just for kicks down sixty six, stopped in L.A. Town
    Yes I went to California just to see what I could see
    Well nobody knew just where I was
    And that's alright with me

17. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Lewisboogie and Paperback Writer like this.
  18. Paperback Writer

Yup, thanks for mentioning the song and “incidental music” listings - as there is MORE there than even the best and most complete lists that had been posted by our alert members.

V check them out in the story from post #265 link - that story is new and fresh from the others - it just “dropped” yesterday.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  19. Paperback Writer

Here’s a well known one from Steppenwolf for an extended Soundtrack,
    Magic Carpet Ride:

Magic Carpet Ride

20. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Here's a mystery I can't figure out.

So, "Hush" on the soundtrack includes the announcer "Humble Harve" and plays out like it's coming out of a car radio on the soundtrack. The iTunes download sounds like it does the same from the sample. However, the lossless Qobuz download of the soundtrack DOES NOT have the Humble Harve announcement. It's a full on version of Hush complete with the wolf howling at the beginning!

Is the current manufacturing delay due to some copyright faux pas and now all subsequent pressings will mirror the Qobuz download?

Hmmmmmmmmmm..............

Paperback Writer and GetHappy!! like this.
  21. GetHappy!!

Interesting. The sample is correct, I have the iTunes download, and it is the version from the film.

22. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

So yesterday I received yet another email from Amazon, with a new estimated delivery date of this coming Wednesday. :(

Cancelled and went out and picked it up at Barnes and Noble last night.

Added some of the missing songs from the Association, Joe Cocker, the Stones, the Mamas and Papas, the Royal Guardsmen, and a few others, and have a nice playlist on iTunes for the car. :righton:

23. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Did you buy the CD or vinyl? If CD, is it a CD-R and how is the packaging?

Lewisboogie and Paperback Writer like this.
  24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Never heard it myself until yesterday: On “Chris Carter’s British Invasion” on Underground Garage (Sirius XM). Not a commonly played song in the U.S., otherwise. Good one though!

Yes, I know the Raiders weren’t British. Chris always plays a few “Americans Who Wish They British” on the show each week.

Anyhow, this weekend’s show is all 1969 because Chris saw the movie this week, enjoyed it, and it inspired him to do all 1969 songs. Show repeats TODAY (8/4) at 4pm ET, for those in the U.S., and available “On Demand.”

Haven’t seen the film yet. I should do that, and snag the soundtrack too!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  25. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Good excuse to post this: