Soundtrack: Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paperback Writer, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Paperback Writer

Paperback Writer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for that!

I know Mark Lindsay’s Head has probably been on spin dry since the release of OUATIH - but , Mark! You forgot a great song and a very good song:

Ups and Downs

and Louie Go Home.

Louie, Go Home

2. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Love your selections!

3. DEAN OF ROCK

I don’t want this thread to die! IMO one of the greatest SHF threads ever!

4. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Mrs. Robinson is there because, as the theme from The Graduate, it represents the New Hollywood and the type of leading men that are replacing the old-school Rick Dalton style of actors.

5. coolcreek

coolcreek Forum Resident

Speaking as a woman who is long over Tarantino's usual violence, but shares his love of old school American pop culture, I'll say I LOVED this film. So much so that I've seen it twice and, if I can find the time to catch another 35 or 70mm film screening, would see it again. It's got everything I do enjoy in a film - great chemistry, original story, fabulous set design and costumes, outstanding soundtrack - I'm running out of superlatives. The violence is minimal - one short-ish fight scene about 2/3 through and at the end - but it is so cartoonish and over the top that even I couldn't object. And I usually cross the street to avoid movies with gore, excessive violence, and even cgi and super heroes. Take a hint from the title - this a fairy tale - the "good guys" win - you really can't do better than that.

6. DEAN OF ROCK

Great assessment coolcreek!

Paperback Writer and coolcreek like this.
  7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

I'm sold.

Paperback Writer likes this.
  8. Paperback Writer

Another view:

• Various Artists
    Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    [​IMG]

JULY 31 2019
    The music is a highlight of Quentin Tarantino’s new film, an undeniable, oft-disquieting mixtape of golden-age rock’n’roll, radio DJ patter, and period-specific commercials.

In the 1960s, Paul Revere & the Raiders were a goofy garage-rock band popular with well-behaved tweens. Calling the

Various Artists: Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) Album Review | Pitchfork

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    PhantomStranger and btltez like this.
  9. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

10. Paperback Writer

picassoson likes this.
  11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Since The Graduate was released just before Christmas 1967, and "Mrs. Robinson" hit #1 in June 1968, it seems unlikely that KHJ would've been playing the song in 1969. But I guess a slight anachronism doesn't bother QT. It's a fairy tale.

12. Top 40 AM stations always played the top hits of years past mixed in with the new hits. I used to listed to KYA in San Francisco, Sometimes they called it a golden oldie (even though it was only a couple of years old) or they simply throw it in. Not unusual at all.

13. Paperback Writer

[​IMG]

No, these two “cats” are not characters played by Leo and Brad (some resemblance?)....but the resurgently respected musical backbone of the Soundtrack and movie, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

Mark Lindsay and Terry Melcher.
    Pic (according to the internet) was taken at the Cielo Drive home.

Looks like the guys are tuning up the stereo, like any of us have done.
    Above the turntable appears to be a Hot 100 record chart.

btltez likes this.
  14. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Have you listened to KHJ airchecks from that year?

15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread here. I don't want to start controversy but I'll just say "Once Upon a Time..." is easily my favorite Tarantino movie and probably the only Tarantino film that I have actually liked as opposed to just appreciated. The soundtrack and the almost omnipresent radio chatter were a big part of that.

coolcreek and Paperback Writer like this.
  16. Paperback Writer

In my EXTENDED Spotify Playlist, I wanted to include Hey Joe by The Leaves; which I believe is the absolute best version of that often recorded classic.

I could not locate it on Spotify, so I included my second fav version of that by The Standells.
    If anyone finds The Leaves Version, please note it here.

17. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Yes. The little details were absolutely perfect, right down to the jar of TANG in the cupboard, just as the storyline goes bonkers.

And the CARS! Every road scene brought back my childhood memories of El Lay, and it was exquisite!

19. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Are people in here that haven't seen it yet? If so that's quite a spoiler giving up the ending.

Paperback Writer and Carl80 like this.
  20. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Yes, going to see it on Sunday night.

21. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

It did play. A lot. KHJ always played “flashbacks” throughout the day.

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Yes, I'd love to see how some of the retro LA look was accomplished. There is so much detail. I thought I heard somewhere that "very little CGI" was used to create this, and yet there are long shots of driving down the street past 1960s marquees and the like. LA certainly doesn't look like that any more. Loved all the vintage cars!!

23. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

this video is really cool to watch:

24. Paperback Writer

Article about the movie and some content on the soundtrack:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: Every Easter Egg, Tarantino Reference & Cameo

The Mamas and the Papas, whose music was a key aspect in 1960s counterculture, make their mark on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood in a number of ways. Two of the group's members, Michelle Phillips and Cass Elliot, appear in the film at the party at the Playboy Mansion (a likely deliberate anachronism to clue us into the movie's alt-reality, since Hugh Hefner didn't purchase the property until the early-1980s). Their music has a bigger role, with both "California Dreaming" and "Straight Shooter" featuring on the soundtrack. The latter is especially significant, as the sheet music for the song was found on a grand piano in the home of Polanski and Tate after the Manson murders, just feet from where's Tate's body was discovered.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. DEAN OF ROCK

To the extended playlist I’d add Roy Head’s follow up to Treat Her Right...... Just A Little Bit.