Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

The inevitable question - What do you feel about Artemiev's score to the first Solaris film by Andrei Tarkovsky? To me, it's one of the best things about the project. Here is the composer talking about the collaboration:

Beamish13 likes this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Anyone else like the soundtrack to “The Wraith”? I have this on LP. I bought it for the Honeymoon Suite song. Good soundtrack. I think both my LPs of this are promos. The CD looks to be expensive.

3. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

Star Trek :The Motion Picture is an excellent example of a soundtrack that smokes the movie.
    In its day, that movie was a godsend to fans who had been waiting for ten years for more adventures with their favorite spacemen.
    In hindsight, several of the sequels were much better; ST:TMP was a bit of a snoozefest. Jerry Goldsmith's score, however is magnificent.
    The main theme was so good that it was chosen as the theme for ST:TNG.

Well, anyway, if you haven't heard it yet, you owe it to yourself to have a listen to this excellent soundtrack!

ando here likes this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Remember this wasn't even the intended soundtrack...they were just classical pieces the director worked with as he shot the film. Kubrick actually contracted Peter North to compose original music for the film, but, upon receiving it, he decided to go with the temporary selections he'd been working with...because during the process, he'd already let them get under his skin!

You may still be able to find Peter North's intended 2001 soundtrack out there somewhere, I think on Verese Sarabande.

Funny, the same thing happened with Wendy Carlos' work on Kubrick's next sci-fi project, A Clockwork Orange. She's got a load of other cues and score pieces laying about somewheres.

Svetonio likes this.
  5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

This one is getting more plays than both Bachs lately. And not having seen this "remake" it's refreshingly devoid of context. :)

6. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Loved the soundtrack for the movie CLOCKWORK ORANGE so much so I bought the CD.
    Away from the silver screen... I really enjoyed all the music used in BREAKING BAD, tastefully and cleverly appropriate for the scenes...
    especially WINDY and BABY BLUE.

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. vinylcrazy97

vinylcrazy97 Active Member

I Think For Me It Has To Be The Quadrophenia Soundtrack From The 1979 film. Brilliant Film & Soundtrack

[MEDIA=]

LoveYourLife, ando here and Beamish13 like this.
  8. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

:agree: on the BB scenes.

I was in Barnes & Noble this summer with my youngest son during their big vinyl discount sale. I held up the Sony Legacy Miles Davis-Porgy and Bess mono RI and a ltd. ed. B&N yellow vinyl Better Call Saul soundtrack. I said...I'm trying to decide between these two...he looks at me like this :rolleyes: and says...put that Better Call Saul back,P&B is a classic, one of my favorite albums of all time. I had to laugh and put the Saul down :(. I told my son he could have my old VG mono 6-eye P&B since I was upgrading on condition.

Anyone like and/or recommend BB and BCS soundtracks?

old45s likes this.
  9. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Seeing it in 35mm is an incredible experience. I saw a beautiful print struck by Universal after the soundtrack was remixed in stereo-just awe-inspiring. Love Phil Daniels in another music-themed film, Breaking Glass (1980)

LoveYourLife likes this.
  10. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Lay back and dream...

[​IMG]
    Batman: Original Motion Picture Score Composed by Danny Elfman (1989, Warner Bros.)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    nosliw, Rubberpigg and Beamish13 like this.
  11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I audited a class on music in cinema class at UCLA that was taught by Paul Chihara (who wrote the scores for several films by Sidney Lumet and is a well-known modernist style composer). He called Hans Zimmer the “musical antichrist” and bemoaned how popular he was. I might not go that far, but contrasting his Batman work with Elfman’s is a stark reminder of how the latter’s sense of melodicism and ability to make a cohesive work for a film is light years ahead of Zimmer’s

ando here likes this.
  12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Amazing work rejected by idiots. First casualties of a troubled film: the composers and editors

ando here likes this.
  13. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:) Poor Zimmer. Everybody trashes his follow up Batman scores. I haven't listened to them but thanks for the warning. Interesting tidbit about the Lumet films; I never acknowledge the musical component of his work - but, of course, it's crucial.

Beamish13 likes this.
  14. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Fantasia Leopold Stokowski, The Philadelphia Orchestra (1940, Disneyland)

I've never watched the film in full (til now) but, like most, I'm familiar with the well known Classical/Romantic pieces on the score; Igor Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, chief among them. Actually, the soundtrack on Disneyland Records (Disney had a record label???) wasn't released until '57. Then another version was released some decades later. This is the one that accompanies the film, however. And I couldn't find a streamer of the score anywhere on the web but I found something better: the film! Can't say how long it'll be up, though. It is Disney. So enjoy while you can. The original soundtrack on vinyl has got be hard to find.

15. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Breaking Glass would be my ultimate soundtrack album of all time and my favourite release of its year. Criminally under-rated and virtually unknown outside the UK these days.
    [​IMG]

Beamish13 likes this.
  16. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

how about music from animated movies and cartoons? I think old 80's - 90's animated movies had good songs (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast)... I prefer those to Let It Go :)

remember this was on radio in mid 90's a lot

Vanessa Williams - Colors of the Wind (Pocahontas)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    ando here likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As if wasn't released in the UK until '69 there are a few US copies over here, I picked my first US copy up about thirty years ago, but as my brother collects animation artwork and it has such a nicely illustrated booklet I let him have it, I already had a much more mundane later UK issue, it took me about twenty years, but I did eventually stumble across another nice US one and I've seen a couple more since, it's lovely packaging.

ando here likes this.
  18. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I usually dislike cd reissues that contain bonus material, alternate takes, etc. beyond what the original LP had.

I had the cd of Dr Zhivago cd that was a farrago of such compared with what the orginal LP provided. Of interest perhaps to film students but not for me.

But I do have the cd version of 2001 that contains a long part of the dialog between HAL and Dave. I like that one.

20. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Sometimes "songtracks" can evoke the feelings and ambiance of a movie. This one does for me:
    [​IMG]

And the soundtrack to this film does sort of evoke what it´s supposed to evoke, even if the versions of the songs from the films are mostly not included.

[​IMG]

And I wish they would release the music from this film on CD:

[​IMG]

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  21. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I wish they would do c.d. issue for the JOAN JET & MICHAEL J. FOX movie. I think it was called "DAY FOR N8GHT".......Great movie!Actually I'd love a c.d./d.v.d./blu-ray box reissue.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

A few years ago I tried to stream the Japanese animated series Mushishi. The subtitles weren’t working right so I had no idea what was going on, but the soundtrack really caught me. I just love the music in the show, composed by Toshio Masuda.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Brian Tyler’s Bubba Ho-Tep soundtrack is fantastic.

24. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

9 1/2 weeks had a nice soundtrack.... Dalbello, Bryan Ferry, Eurythmics, Luba.....

Eurythmics - This City Never Sleeps

LoveYourLife likes this.
  25. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

9 1/2 Weeks reminded me of this, Wild Orchid. Billed as a 'spiritual follow-up' to it in some press reviews at the time but totally unrelated, except for Mickey Rourke starring. This was right in the middle of world music fever and it was my first introduction to Brazilian singer Margareth Menezes. The soundtrack got hammered by me and my friends all through spring/summer of '90.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.