Soupy Sales dvd on Audio Fidelity???

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

He still won't go for the Music Machine and now he's interested in Soupy Sales?!?. I mean, Soup's always been a cool, funny guy, I know, but.....:confused:

:ed:

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OMG!!! that would be fantastic!!! I didn't miss a show when I was a kid! Go Marshall...I'm there.

4. Michael

...are you serious? :wave: I was counting on the Seeds just as much! **** happens. :shh:

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I'd buy some Soupy Sales.... :D

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Soupy on DVD? That would be great. First I've heard about this..

7. indy mike

Think Marshall will get hold of the stripper clip? There's a cool (naughty) camera angle version floating out there...

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Maybe if we all send him one of those green pieces of paper in our Mommies pocketbooks? :D

9. Michael

Poor Soupy.:( :laugh:

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

After that, maybe he could release Philo Kevetch, with Onions Oregano. Does anyone remember that Soupy Sales series? I seem to remember an episode where a gorilla was chasing him around Yankee Stadium....

11. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

you can find it at www.kokane2.com

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Interestingly, that version of the clip isn't complete-- it's missing some dialogue with White Fang, and the **second** opening of the door by Soupy.

Although in fairness, the longer version does betray that some of the stripper footage is repeated (for effect, i'm guessing).

If Marshall needs a better copy, I've got one.

-Kevin

13. Michael

...thanks mavisgold, I appreciate the link! That was fun...

14. Michael

Indeed! You are the Video Gort! :D Lucky Guy.:)

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Sorry if this comes off as a thread crap, but I don't think his comedy holds up that well in this day and age ("Do the mouse".....pllllluuuueeeze!)

Stick with the music Marshall.

16. Michael

...sure it does! Soupy was more than a one hit wonder. :D

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry, this one (Soupy Sales) is not in my lexicon. What years are we talking about? Is he a stand-up comic or more along the lines of situational comedy. Please don't just shoot me a link - tell me how Soupy Sales fits in your life.

18. Michael

How'd he fit? Just another Baby Boomer's childhood TV staple...Just Soupy, a kids show for all ages...ran from 1959-1962. If you didn't watch him back then, most likely he'll do nothing for you now.

19. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I bet Joel Cairo would know the answer to this.

When the Soupy Sales Show was local on ABC Channel 7 in the early 1960's, celebs liked to make cameos on the show and basically get a pie in the face. I remember when the show was on in the evening Frank Sinatra came through the door and was clobbered with a pie.

Does this stuff still exist on 2" videotape?

Soupy went to NYC in 1965 and basically did the same show. I remember those were syndicated but I have no idea if the ABC shows were even taped or if they were just broadcast live.

Those of you who lived in LA and watched the show, remember when he held up a mirror to the camera and told us to "watch yourself on TV"? Remember when he held up his hand and pulled his fingers down one at a time: "This is for my producer, this is for my director..." until he only had his "bird" finger up? Heh. He was a wild guy.

Be true to your teeth and they won't be false to you...

20. indy mike

I sense a new AF tangent - wouldn't Ernie Kovacs' stuff be cool to have, too?

21. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, I have to say that I haven't asked my vault-connected friends very much about Soupy, but unless his producer was really on the ball, my guess would be that there isn't a lot left on videotape, though UCLA does have some examples of both the LA shows (on kinescope) and the NY show (possibly from 2", as they're holding 3/4" dubs) in thier holdings.

When you combine these with what Soupy could come up with himself, there's no doubt a couple of good disc's worth of content there.

As a side note, to illustrate Steve's point about celebrities, I found this listing in someone's private collection:

SOUPY SALES: 2 HOUR RARE TAPE: Judy Garland; Sinatra;
    1-Soupy outtakes (w/ the uncut topless visitor)
    2-SOUPY SALES HOUR: 1964-COLOR-Unaired episode with Judy
    Garland, Ernest Borgnine, Chester Morris.
    3-SOUPY SALES SHOW -W/Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis Jr.
    4-LUNCH WITH SOUPY-1960

...so there's **some** great stuff floating around out there, anyway... :D

-Kevin

22. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Kovacs was fascinating.....Soupy was a nice guy and I'm sure a DVD collection would be fun for what it is, but...Ernie was perhaps the most obvious surrealist on television, and what little I've seen of his work would still seem strange even now. I believe his wife(Edie Adams?)archived everything she could get hold of, though many great shows and clips are apparently lost forever.

:ed:

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Thanks for your post.

I grew up in Australia. We didn't have TV in our house until '63, and by then, I was a teenager. I can remember radio shows from my childhood though. ;)

24. Michael

Your welcome.;)..can't imagine re-runs of Soupy on commercial TV today...It was a product of the times...great memories of our childhood in any medium are priceless.:thumbsup:

25. indy mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.