Source of this 90's Kind of Blue Reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

From what I understand, this is a 90's vinyl reissue with this short lived reissue red label. I picked up a sealed one (NOS) cheap and was wondering if this had an analogue source or early digital? This has side one at a slightly slower speed vs the new editions.

Overall, this pressing sounds nice sound-mix wise. In some ways maybe a little rolled off top end. Strong bass (not as strong as Mofi). The vinyl is more noisy that I would like.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Pic below from Discogs

[​IMG]

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have a record from this series. I'm pretty sure these were all analog releases. They did a series of digitally mastered releases in the '80s, touting them as such on the covers. There was a movement back to all analog. I'm not sure if it was prompted by Michael Fremer's great push then. DCC was doing their all analog releases with Steve Hoffman doing to reissues. The industry must have been sensing some sort of tide shift, even if it was short-lived for the moment.

3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

It would probably be helpful if you posted any runout/deadwax info....

4. DaleClark

I am listening as I write.....This version almost sounds like a flat transfer. Not a lot of dynamics....very smooth sounding.......It's not bad....just different than what I am use to

5. DaleClark

XSM 47326-1C SS
    XSM 47327-1C SS

rcsrich likes this.
  6. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I don't have an answer to your question, just making it easier for those who might. ;)

7. DaleClark

I believe its an early to mid 90's issue.

8. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I would guess those have digital somewhere in the chain. It wouldn’t make a lot of sense to still be cutting this very popular album from tape into the 90s when cassette and CD versions had already been released.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup. They're not very exciting. Analog does not necessarily equate to well mastered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.