Sources for 3 matched Telefunken 12AX7A tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm buying Kim's "Hong Kong" preamp and I'd like to eventually replace the stock tubes (in a few weeks or so) with 3 Telefunken 12AX7A tubes. Here are my questions:

Who are some good dealers I can buy them from (matched/properly tested/reasonable prices/etc.)?

Are there any specific types of Telefunken tubes I should ask for (I'm still kind of new in the "tube world"/country/etc.)?

If anyone can list a pretty detailed "shopping list" (so I'll know exactly what to ask for when I'm ready to order) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Todd,

Your tubes do not need to be matched. Preamp tubes are self biasing.

Contact Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio (link on my homepage). I think he has some slightly used Teles for $20.00 each or something like that. Doesn't matter which kind of Tele 12AX7. Just as long as it is a real one (with the diamond on the bottom). Kevin has them.

3. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, Steve! I'll give Kevin a call in a few weeks. Also, thanks for the info about not needing matched preamp tubes (I'm still learning) and buying "real" ones with the diamond on the bottom...

Todd

4. Steve Hoffman

Todd,

It's fun goofing around with tubes. If you ever have any questions, this is the place to post them!

BTW, Tele's were in a lot of old Fisher, Dyna, etc. gear as standard equipment in the old days. Why? The Telefunken company offered their tubes to the USA market for next to nothing. It just so happens that the Tele 12AX7 is the best of its kind.

So you might see Telefunkens branded with "Dynaco", or "Fisher" names on them. If Kevin Deal sez they are true Teles, then they are. Just selling for less. As long as they have that diamond imprinted on the bottom of the tube, you are in business!

BUT, the Tele 12AU7 is a clunker (IMO), so never shop only by Brand Name....

5. Todd Fredericks

Thanks again, Steve! I'm really excited about getting this preamp. I spoke to Tom Port about it and he was very helpful. I think it's going to work out very well in my developing system. I also ordered 2 "magic pillows" (I've been very interested in giving them a try and now I am). He warned me they're not the prettiest things in the world but they will do wonders. I told him "no problemo" (now that I'm single/sadly). I'll definately post future comments/questions about the unit, etc.

Todd

6. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Don't kill all the lawyers, I need one!

How dare those tube people use my name without my permission. ;)

7. Todd Fredericks

Sadly, I may have to look elsewhere for some Telefunken 12AX7A
    Tubes. I e-mailed Kevin on the price and he's selling them for $100 each new old stock white box (ouch!). I sent a reply hoping he had some "used" ones with plenty of life left and little less cash. I hope he does. I've been extravagant recently with my spending and I need to place a self-imposed spending leash and collar on myself until I replenish my wealth (or lack of it).

Todd

Inserted addition: Kevin, replied: "nada"...

8. Steve Hoffman

Todd, give me a buzz, we'll figure it out.

9. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, Steve! Equipment & other used stuff I'm pretty good at finding but good quality "working" tubes is a new ball game for me.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.