South Jersey and Shore Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zphage, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zphage

zphage genre fluid Thread Starter

I didn't see a thread for this area. Checking to see what might be worth checking out South Jersey and the Shore. Thanks!

2. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

I haven't been to the Album Hunter since they moved to Maple Shade, NJ, so I can't tell you what they're like. And I haven't been to the Record Connection since it moved to Bordentown. I don't know of any other record stores near the shore.

3. zphage

There has to be something out there: Hammanton, Atlantic City, Wildwood, Pine Barrens ?

4. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I live near AC and I can tell you there is not much in the Jersey Shore for music shopping. If you are going to be in the AC area, there is a CD Exchange in Northfield, NJ, this used to be a CD Warehouse store. Every now and then you can find a used CD return and be surprised, I actually found a MFSL Ultradisc 1 of Meddle and an MFSL Coltrane/Hartman used there, but that has been my biggest finds there in the last 8 years. I still like to go and hunt it every week or so.

There is also another shop called ACRAT, that use to be okay a decade or so ago, but now is mostly for tickets and other things I will not mention so it is not worth the time if you are looking for music.

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

That Wherehouse is now a Coconuts or FYE as Wherehouse was bought by Transworld. But I did score a few used MFSL discs there as well.....

There is a store called Atomic CDs in Pt. Pleasant that has vinyl and some new stuff, but it's sort of evolved into a vintage clothing store with some music. I haven't been in there in a few years, but Eric the owner is a nice guy.

There is a store I found in Ocean City last year, but I don't know the name of it. It is a musical instrument shop that had some records in the back.

6. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

7. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

8. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

9. cds4dad

cds4dad Senior Member

There is a CD World in Eatontown in the OfficeMax Plaza at the intersection of Rts 35 & 36. CD World was bought by Trans World Entertainment (TWE) quite a while ago, but the Eatontown location hasn't turned into an FYE store yet.

10. zphage

Wasn't there a place called "Toons" or something runned by Craig who use to own "Spinsters" in New Hope?

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

There's Tunes in Turnersville, Marlton and Voorhees. Ocean City boardwalk has a store. Don't know the name. Album Hunter is in Maple Shade. Go in there and talk politics with Tony. All of these stores have vinyl. Tunes is CD focused but a couple of racks of vinyl too.

12. brianl

brianl Forum Resident

Princeton Record Exchange is nice, although it's in central Jersey.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  13. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Atomic in Point Pleasant, NJ Ocean County. Great selection of used lp's, rock mags cool t-shirts, vintage clothes and odd stuff.

14. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I think Ocean City has been closed for a while. But you never know what you might find at Tunes. I found an LP at the Hoboken location that I had been looking for for years for a $1.

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

There is a CD store on the Ocean City boardwalk but its not a Tunes (my wording may have been confusing?). My neighbor was just there a couple of weeks ago. I've never been but I understand its pretty decent. I had great luck at Tunes over the summer but they run hold and cold. Right now their stock is very low.

16. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Absolutely worth the drive from South Jersey/Philly area. Only 45 minutes or so from Philly.

Rodz42 likes this.
  17. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

This is not south Jersey, but I used to trek up to a record store with vinyl / CD's - I thin it was on Rt. 18 below New Brunswick heading down toward the shore.

18. jmsquires

jmsquires Forum Resident

Cd Exchange in Northfield is excellent for used cd's. Always come away with something good!

19. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

Jack's in Red Bank. About two miles from the Springsteen residence. Central, but considered to be the Shore Area.

Bill

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Andrew likes this.
  21. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Many, if not all, of these same stores are still around. Jersey has a strong indie record store circuit, unlike many suburban areas. Vintage Vinyl is absolutely worth checking out if you can escape for an afternoon, but it's not that close to the shore, maybe about 30 minutes West from Jack's in Red Bank, which is at the Northernmost point of the NJ shore. In my opinion, even when the business was at it's peak in the early 2000s and stores were more common, Vintage may have been the best record store on the East Coast, at least North of DC for sure. Princeton Record Exchange, also not really near the shore and much smaller than Vintage, is an excellent store. Neighborhood is great too if you are looking to spend an afternoon somewhere. Same for Jack's in Red Bank.

22. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

My old hometown area. Was just back there a couple of months ago and it was slim pickings if you are restricting to South Jersey. Almost all of those stores listed in that link a couple posts up are North and Central Jersey stores.

Tunes in Washington Twp, Marlton, and Vorhees are still around, but mediocre stores at best. Was in the Marlton one when i was just there. Best thing I can say about it is that the vinyl that it does carry was priced a good bit less than current market rate for the title (Got the first original Gang Of Four record for 12 bucks and Michael Jackson's Bad for 8) but the selection was pretty run of the mill. CD selection was ok. The Washington Twp store, a good one in the CD heyday, is now pretty weak. Never been to the Vorhees one.

After Tunes, it's slim. I heard the Collingswood store is ok, but i've never been. Album Hunter is long closed now. There is a shop in Pitman called Bus Stop Music Cafe which may be worth a peek. Problem is that they have really odd hours. As for the south jersey shore, not sure that there is still anything there. There used to be back in the day, but i'm not familiar anymore

I still miss my fave of the South Jersey region, Full Circle Records, which closed it's doors at the end of 2006

If you're willing to drive to Princeton for the Record Exchange, it is totally worth the trip! One of the best in the nation (except that they use those stickers that will NOT come off the record covers!!!!)

23. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Wasn't there a place on Route 9 called 'The Record Store'? Around Howell or Lakewood? Is that still around?

24. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Not sure.....never knew that one

25. Wawazat

Wawazat Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.