South Park Seasons 21, 22, & 23*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Derek Slazenger, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I like Cartman's singing in episode 2, but, again, the plot and writing are lacking. Cartman or Butters can usually carry an episode, but Tweek is annoying and the worst South Park character. Tweek's only saving grace was paving the way for better characters like Butters.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I liked Tweek's initial North Korea freak out song he did at the beginning of the episode, but the whole Tweek/Craig relationship whatever it is isn't interesting or funny. And you're right, Tweek himself has never been a very funny character, though his parents and the way the dad would start talking like a coffee commercial with soft acoustic guitar backing music did provide some laughs. But that was years ago when they first introduced them (the whole Harbucks vs. Starbucks thing). There's not much to get out of Tweek now. When the girls did their list of the cutest boys, wasn't Craig at the top of the list? I can't remember.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  3. S. P. Honeybunch

Bebe put Craig at the top of the cutest boys list in order to get free shoes through Craig's dad.

4. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

It was Clyde. Because his dad owned the women's shoe store.

Lownote30 likes this.
  5. agentalbert

Okay, thanks. Clyde, Craig. Sometimes its hard to keep these lesser side characters straight. Craig has a distinctive voice, but I can't remember anything about Clyde now. I do remember Clyde-Frog, though! ;)

6. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I miss the days of Good Times With Weapons. Let's Fighting Love, indeed.

Lownote30 likes this.
  7. agentalbert

For the latest episode "Franchise Prequel", pause the screen when you see the whiteboard with the list of shows/movies Coon and Friends plan to release on Netflix. There are some good laughs there.

8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll do that this morning. thank you

9. agentalbert

I liked the way the Netflix phone reps answer, "Thank you for calling Netflix, you're greenlit". Unfortunatey there is apparently and ongoing negotiation between Spectrum and Viacom and so the bottom 5th of the screen had a perpetual big black bar with a scrolling crawl on it telling me how Spectrum doesn't want to work for customers and just wants to take my favorite channels away. Made enjoying the episode very difficult, so I gave up and I'll catch it later when this is all over.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

What an inconsistent season. I didn't care for this week's episode at all, another example of writing that focuses on hammering a point home where the humor was largely absent.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm completely the opposite. I thought the first two weren't very good, the third was better, but this one was excellent and back to form.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The episodes have been ok so far.

It's been tough since season 19 set the bar so high to me that everything else has kind of felt like a letdown. SodoSopa forever! :)

Lownote30 and Lightworker like this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The more direct Parker and Stone involvement...the better the season. It's evident
    which episodes they were (literally) phoning in. Some of their creative team are
    now younger and more politically 'committed' than other, earlier South Park writers
    and this can sometimes change the "tone" of the show in a negative way.
    The Elon Musk-worship in a couple recent episodes was a bit much for me...but that could
    well have been a Parker or Stone idea. Musk is a charismatic (if highly-subsidized) figure.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

I agree. The plot development is the least important part of the show if it doesn't pay off with laughs. Sometimes there is an intersection when a well crafted plot and gags both work well, but the humor shouldn't suffer just to make the plot more coherent or workable. The show too often aims toward furthering the plot with wooden stuff like Zuckerberg doing uninteresting things and Randy renovating houses rather than having them do things that are actually funny.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I suggest you all watch the documentary detailing the making of an episode. It'll make you respect what they do a lot more.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

No one doubts that it's hard work to put an episode together, but many other shows are also born out of hard work and if they are unfunny comedies I will call them what they are as well.

This week's episode was middle-of-the-pack for me. The boys singing barbershop quartet arrangements of popular songs is what elevated it for me.

17. Strat-Mangler

Not really what I'm referring to. They do an entire episode in a week. This crazy schedule means they have to go with whatever they can come up with ASAP. That system allows them to be current but also means perhaps not the best possible ideas or jokes are used. If they had the luxury of time, I'd be a lot harsher.

Just as I won't be as harsh on an independent movie filmed for a mere couple of millions as I am with lavish ones. I keep it in context.

18. The latest episode with the kids singing modern pop songs in barbershop quartet style was inspired.

19. S. P. Honeybunch

The tight schedule isn't the issue. Other seasons with the same production schedule are funnier than this season's episodes.

Matthew Tate and lv70smusic like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

That depends on who you ask.

Also, they've been at this for 21 years. It's not a bottomless well of ideas and jokes.

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

R.I.P Clyde-Frog. Gone but not forgotten, and forever in our hearts.

[​IMG]

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  22. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I lost it when they started doing the Nirvana song :biglaugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

So far I’ve liked this season. Much better than last season but not as good as 19 was.

24. agentalbert

I'm lukewarm on this season so far. Was S19 the one that introduced P.C. Principal? I liked S20 better than that. I really liked Gerald as "skankhunt42" and Cartman acting completely different and trying to get to Mars. S19 had some good parts (SoDoSoPa, the pc frat boys being sensitive to "crush puss"), but I thought it ended pretty weak. I still laugh every time I see a re-run with Cartman in this shirt.

[​IMG]

25. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I loved the COLUMBUS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.