SoX Resampler in Foobar - Best Settings?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wolfram, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm Thread Starter

Hi guys, once again I started futzing around with my Foobar settings and have a question for you. At the moment my Mini PC running Foobar is connected to a DAC that only accepts files up to 96 kHz. So I configured two SoX resamplers (mod2) to resample all files at 192 down to 96 and all at 176.4 to 88.2. All other files go out unchanged through an ASIO driver to the DAC, which upsamples them anyway (or is it oversampling?). It's a pretty good DAC, so I expect it knows what it's doing.

So here's my question: I'm unsure of the best settings for the SoX plug-in for downsampling, since I don't really understand these things. Right now the settings are these:

Quality: Best
    Passband: 95%
    Allow aliasing/imaging: Yes
    Phase Response: 50% (linear)

Do these settings like right to you for downsampling? Or should I change anything?

If you're going to tell me to use my ears, thanks in advance. But I'm looking for the "never use aliasing/imaging for downsampling" kind of advice by people who understand this stuff.

As usual there won't be the kind of easy answer I'm hoping for, but maybe you can nudge me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Opeth likes this.
  2. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Hello, if you go to SRC Comparisons you can compare sample rate converters going from 96k to 44.1k and settings with one another. Years ago I started using SoX Foobar plug-in. Before doing so I compared all the settings and compared the images with "golden ear approved-superior" src's (Don't remember what it was now but Barry Diament was raving about it). I don't pretend to understand what all the testing means, but the one that most closely resembles "perfection" and sounds fine to me was VHQ Linear Quality which translate to these settings:

Quality: Best
    Passband: 95%
    Allow aliasing/imaging: No
    Phase Response: 50% (linear)

Hope this works out for you.
    eC

The_Windmill, Opeth and wolfram like this.
  3. wolfram

Thanks a lot, that sure helps. I spent some time searching the net today and came away with the same results. Though you always get conflicting results with questions like these, your settings seem to represent some kind of consensus.

Thanks again for chiming in.

eyeCalypso and Opeth like this.
  4. wolfram

Bump, because why not? Any more thoughts?

In addition to my initial question, any advice for settings when downsampling hi-res files to lossy files for my phone? Maybe allow aliasing/imaging?

eyeCalypso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.