Spades vs Bananas

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I've read recently that banana plugs don't make as good contact as spades. Is this true? If so, could one argue that you will get better sound with spades than banana plugs?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Depends. You can get wide Bananna plugs with a spring action in the center that will fit as good as Spades...

The thing about spades, you can really make a tight fit. Bananna plugs and sockets, pretty close...

But I put Bananna plugs, etc... on my two Dynaco amps. It's just so much easier to get in and out. If I wanna take the amp down, put it back, Banannas make it QUICK!

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is that because bananas are slippery so they can be switched really... uhhh... nevermind. ;)

Bare Wire! Let nothing come between the speaker cable and the amp! I know there are logistical problems but give it a shot, see if you can get it to work!

Sorry - that was NOT one of the choices.... :o

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm a spade man myself. Logic would hold that a good spade will provide more contact surface than a banana. Always a good thing, right?

5. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I like to use spades for the low frequencies and bananas for the highs - or is it the other way round ;) :laugh:

All the best - Andrew

Attached Files:

6. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

So are we saying that better contact with spades results in better sound overall? Basically, I'm trying to choose between spades and bananas. Of course I prefer bananas because they are convenient, but.........

7. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

It terms of making a good contact suitable for high currents spades are the best option compared to bananas or bare wire. The reason is spades will have more contact surface area to spread out the current, this means lower current density for the contact. If you look at the actual area being contacted with a banana plug it isn't very much.

Does this impact the sound? I have no idea because I've never done the test myself. Like everything else in audio its all going to depend on your system. If your speakers require high currents to drive them and your amp can supply that current, then I would say that you are more likely to hear a difference.

8. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

:thumbsup: I prefer bare wires myself. It's not as quick and easy to setup bit IMO it sounds better.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

But won't the bare wire oxidize and then you'll have to occasionally snip a piece of it off so you have "good" wire making contact?

10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Yes, it's a pain sometimes.

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Have you told anyone in the outside world about this? :eek:

12. aashton

Only Elmur my invisible friend, one or two of the friendlier looking plants and shrubs in the garden and that team of analysts that hand around asking me questions all the time :)

All the best - Pope Napoleon III

13. John B

I do have to ask. What is the reason for the different plugs? :confused:

I'm afraid of the answer. ;)

14. aashton

Don't be afraid John, be VERY afraid :D

Well m'lud the story goes along these lines :-

From time to time I run bi-wired with two sets of cables ( adding a set of SPM Reference I have lying about somewhere - because I like the colo(u)r of the cable - Purple before anyone asks :) ).

When I do that I move both sets of terminals on the cable you see to one set of speaker teminals and run the SPM to the other. When I have had enough of the colo(u)r Purple I revert to the configuration you see. If I had all bananas or all spades at the 'speaker end it would make it all very tight and complicated - actually bananas would make it impossible.

And there I rest the case for the defense m'lud and my learned colleagues :)

All the best - Andrew

15. John B

Guilty of audiophilia!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.