“Spanish is the Loving Tongue” — Dylan’s many versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CBackley, Jun 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Bob Dylan has recorded the song “Spanish is the Loving Tongue” several times. I have different versions on Dylan (1973), Pure Dylan (Germany CD from 2011), Another Self Portrait, and More Blood More Tracks. And I think there’s one coming next week on the Live 1975 box set. Can someone help explain the different versions that are out there? Original release, recording dates, etc? I looked at the listing on Searching for a Gem but found it confusing. Which version was the b-side to Watching the River Flow? Are there versions that are widely circulating but not yet commercially released? (I am NOT asking where or how to find them!)

Please help a confused Dylan fan. :)

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

May I just say I love this song, and am glad it's become a sort of singular niche in the Dylan canon? I believe the version of the song on Pure Dylan is the B-side, previously also seen on the Aussie import Masterpieces collection. It's also my favorite version of all of them.

3. illwind64

illwind64 Forum Resident

Did it twice during the Basement Tapes sessions as well

4. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

My buddy & I (both huge Bob fans) laughed until we cried when we first heard the kitchy "Columbia's Revenge" version when it came out back in '73. Oh, man...

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

It's pretty bad!

6. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

The Masterpieces version is THE version. One of his greatest vocal performances ever.

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Hi CB,

The version on Pure Dylan is “pretty much” the same as the iconic B-side to Watching the River Flow. I think this is also on Masterpieces.

(JRT already said this I see)

Also, there was a live acoustic guitar version from 1976 circulating, that one is, uh, remarkable.

CBackley likes this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I always loved the loony, over the top quality of the version on the Dylan album. What a riot!

9. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

I count five officially released studio versions of "Spanish" -- the details can be found below.

(1) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue

Red Room
    Bob Dylan's Home
    Byrdcliffe, New York
    March-May 1967

Released on THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 11: THE BASEMENT TAPES COMPLETE, CD 1, Columbia 88875016122-1, 3 November 2014

(2) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (7 Takes)

Columbia Studio A
    Nashville, Tennessee
    24 April 1969
    1st Self Portrait session

Take 7 probably released in overdubbed version on DYLAN, Columbia PC-32747, 16 November 1973 and on DYLAN (A FOOL SUCH AS I), Columbia CD 32286, (CD) January 1991 in Europe, DYLAN, Columbia 88691924312-14 as part of the CD box THE COMPLETE ALBUM COLLECTION, VOL. ONE, 5 November 2013

(3) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue

Studio B
    Columbia Recording Studios
    New York City, New York
    3 March 1970
    4th Self Portrait recording session

*Unreleased*

(4) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (2 Takes)

Studio E
    New York City, New York
    2 June 1970
    3rd New Morning recording session

Take 1 released on ANOTHER SELF PORTRAIT - The Bootleg Series Vol. 10 (1969-1971), Columbia CKA 373488, 26 August 2013.
    Take 2 released on single Columbia 4-45409, 3 June 1971 and on CD PURE DYLAN – AN INTIMATE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN, Sony Music 8 86979 88082 5, 21 October 2011.

(5) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (2 Takes)

Nashville, Tennessee
    23 July 1970
    2nd New Morning overdub session

*Unreleased*

(6) Spanish Is The Loving Tongue (2 Takes)

A & R Studios
    New York City, New York
    17 September 1974
    2nd Blood On The Tracks recording session

Released on MORE BLOOD, MORE TRACKS. THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 14, DISC NO. 3, COLUMBIA RECORDS 19075858962-3, 2 November 2018

alchemy, Hep Alien, DirkM and 2 others like this.
  10. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

“Pretty much” in the sense that it’s the same take. However, Pure Dylan is the only release to feature this version in true stereo.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  11. false_serenity

false_serenity Forum Resident

Bump, but I only just realised this brief but beautiful 1976 rehearsal existed... Adios Mi Corazon

We know he sung it in 1967/69/70/74/75/76, but we never heard it again after it was publically performed for the first time. I wonder why the song meant so much to him. Could it be Joan Baez's Mexican background?

12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What a crappy album it was. And they had so much better material they could have put out.

13. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

The Masterpieces version was always my favourite until I heard the one on Rolling Thunder Revue box. What incredibly soulful singing he offers here. If anyone ever tells you Dylan can’t sing, play them this.

MLutthans and CBackley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.