Sparks CDs mastered from vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frip, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I have the double blue vinyl with the signed photo. What I do know is most of it was mastered from tapes, and I think there were even a few tape fluctuations/dropouts on at least one song on the main album. Of the bonus tracks, the spoken word bits and single version of Tryouts were mastered from vinyl. But when I play this on vinyl I use my original Elektra green butterfly label edition. I specifically sought that one out rather than the boring red label edition.

jeffrey walsh and c-eling like this.
  2. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thanks for the tips, this catalog is quite a mess sadly.

BlueSpeedway and c-eling like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'll second Scott on the old US. Zentz/Bellman cut.
    Scared to death of anything Sparks on CD, sucks
    Been looking at the German Oasis Terminal Jive CD from 95, but not sure I want to risk even that. I'd have to import it-at a premium.

Joe Lopez and jeffrey walsh like this.
  4. Any word on the 2013 reissues? They also have bonus tracks. Haven’t listened to the ones I -Ickes in a while back (this is also on the Repertoire label with no remastering credit but claims they are licensed from Warner overseas).

5. thought I would give this a bump. I got the Sparks Repertoire releases on CD for my birthday (cause the bonus tracks you know-got to have 'em all) and wanted to get the opinion before I opened these. I did crack open In Outer Space was surprised it sounded pretty good (though I have no idea who mastered it or what the source is).

6. So the 2013’sdon’t sound like needle drops there is some compression used on them but, from what I can tell, they are from tapes. They aren’t as dynamic as the original CD releases.

7. Dysfunco

Dysfunco New Member

What about the 1999/2000 Repertoir version of Angst In My Pants?
    I recently orderered this and I'm currently awaiting it's arrrival.

I chose this over the 2013 version as I thought this might be a reissue of a much older version = hopefully better dynamics and less overcompressed.
    Then afterwards I found some discussions on the topic where some people warns about the Repertoir CD:s
    But no one has really clarified if this applies to the 99/2000 reissue as well, or only (at that time) the most recent one from 2013?

Difficult to find detailed info on this kind of stuff... The store I purchaed it from only had this, and then the 2013, available brand new. I figured there must be a difference beyond added bonus tracks?

8. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

I read that Friday Music and the dreaded Joe Reagoso are rereleasing “Sparks” and “A Woofer In Tweeter’s Clothing” and they say from the master tapes. Has anyone out there heard these?

9. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

I bought a used Oglio 1998 release of "Pulling Rabbits Out Of A Hat". It has the dynamics intact, but it is very bright with less bass than the current streaming version. Does anybody know how the Oasis version from 1995 sounds?

10. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Apparently, the Oglio release is essentially the 1995 Oasis version. I remember Carl Caprioglio saying in a press release that his label's reissues beefed up the bass end a bit on these. I still prefer the Oasis series despite of the mastering errors on 'Whomp' and 'Rabbits', although I have never heard the Oglio version.

pantofis likes this.