Speaker connection with spades

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hobbes4444, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

Here's a question that should be simple and makes me feel dumb for asking, but I haven't found a clear answer in the bit of research I've done.

So when I connect spades to the binding post of my speaker (B&W CM10), where should the spade sit? It's a fairly standard post with a "cap" that screws/tightens the connection and then below that is a piece that can slide up a bit. Does the spade go at the base of the post and below both the part that slides a little and the top part that tightens it all? Or is it supposed to go in between that sliding piece and the part that tightens everything together? Or is it ok in either place?

The spade on my wire does not fit around the post if i place it in between the two moving parts, but it does fit all the way at the base below both the moving part and the cap that tightens everything. It holds fine when tightened. The spade of jumpers that I have is wider and fits in between the two pieces though.

Thanks. . .:doh:

2. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

The part that slides is meant to squeeze the spade lug -- without putting torque on it -- as you tighten the binding post. So put the spade between that part and the bottom of the binding post. It will work OK if you put it in the other spot, but that's not the intent of the way the post is made.

3. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict Thread Starter

Thx. Unfortunately the spade does not fit between the small sliding part and the piece that screws everything into place. Sounds like that is where you suggested. I originally had the spade end on the receiver side, but I changed receivers, and the spades will not fit on those posts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.