Speaker hiss

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oliver Meyer, Oct 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

True, esp with 86 dB speakers and a 150 watt amp. In one setup I've 92 dB speaks, 330 watts/ch and no hiss. Other setup, 89 dB speaks, 500 watts/ch and also no hiss attenuators fully CW. (on all inputs but phono, obviously hear some hiss with phono stage cranked)

As RiCat mentioned, it sounds like your pre, do you have an extra to swap or borrow one just for confirmation?

2. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here Thread Starter

The million dollar question. I don’t recall ever noticing it until I get the new phono amp. I have emailed a rep from Primare and awaiting a response.
    I have the emotive cmx2 coming today to remove DC from the AC line which should stop my power amp from buzzing. I will post the outcome.

patient_ot likes this.
  3. Oliver Meyer

Well the Emotiva didn't get rid of the hum from the power amp so back it goes.

patient_ot likes this.
  4. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Can you hear the hum at your listening position, with nothing playing?

Honestly, even if your answer to that is "yes," I'm going to tell you to not sweat it unless you think it indicates there is something wrong with the unit.

There are really two types of noise we deal with: (1) Constant or static noises. These are transformer hums, transport noises, etc. (2) Dynamic noises. This is the noise generated by our system and is proportional to the gain/volume.

#2 is obviously of far greater concern than #1. Drive them down both as far as you can, but if you can't hear #1 at your chair, you don't have to obsess about it.

There are a of folks here that will tell you their systems are perfectly silent at any gain setting. They're typically old men that can't hear a thing above 10k, though, so don't let them get in your head.

Oliver Meyer and patient_ot like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Oliver Meyer , have you tried contacting the manufacturer of your power amp for advice? Perhaps they have a solution for you? Dunno if this was already mentioned.

6. Oliver Meyer

You're absolutely right. I think I'm obsessing. Need to sit back and relaxe and enjoy.

7. Oliver Meyer

I have emailed them but no response. This happens to be MoFi as they are the US distribution hub.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Sounds frustrating. Maybe just call Mofi's parent company, Music Direct.

9. Oliver Meyer

So I spoke to my local dealer who sent me to a local audio repair shop and I took all my equipment with me and could not reproduce any noise. He is certain there's nothing wrong with my amps. He took the tops off and checked it all over and said it looks great.
    It's a relief that the equipment is in good shape

patient_ot likes this.
  10. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Just checking back on this one Oliver, seems it's buttoned up. Your last response would suggest you do have a noise problem, but only in your home?

Blowby and Oliver Meyer like this.
  11. Oliver Meyer

Yeah it appears that way. It's not noticable from the listening position so I'm not going to obsess over it any longer.

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Gotcha, enjoy those tunes and when you decide to upgrade from the Duo, I can help dispose of the old phono stage!

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  13. Oliver Meyer

That might be a long wait :D

Gibsonian likes this.
  14. zonto

zonto Forum Resident

Given all the troubleshooting you've done, the only things left I can think to suggest would be:
    • ensure everything is plugged into the same outlet/distributor (to avoid grounding issues);
    • route your signal cables away from power and speaker cables, and if they must cross do so at 90 degree angles; and
    • given that I don't see any mention of a power conditioner in your chain, maybe try one and other power cables.
    On the last point, Shunyata makes products specifically designed to increase dynamic current capabilities and the newer products include a sophisticated noise reduction circuit. The NR circuit is very effective overall, but especially in the range of noise detectable by an Entech noise sniffer, which includes the band in which other noise sources like FM radio operate.

Edit: You could also try a different phono interconnect that is very well-shielded and low capacitance, like the Blue Jeans LC-1. Some recent discussion on this topic in this thread: If you are having turntable hum noise issues, consider a different phono cable .

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Oliver Meyer likes this.
  15. Oliver Meyer

I have a PS Audio wall outlet and a Furman power conditioner.
    As far as cables I do my best to keep them away and at right angles from each other.
    I have a Silnote Poseidon signiture phono cable.

zonto likes this.
  16. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

If there is any possibility it is RFI, I’d order one of the inexpensive choke kits on eBay and do a little trial and error.

Wait, you can’t hear it from your chair. Scratch that advice above. New advice: drink beer or coffee and listen to some tunes.

Oliver Meyer likes this.
  17. Oliver Meyer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.