Speaker Recommendations for Marantz 1060

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Soundgarden, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundgarden

Soundgarden Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just purchased a Marantz 1060 integrated amp. Looking for recommendation for a pair of speakers. This is a bedroom unit. Looking for something from the same era (71-76) that would be suitable for the small space (12x15').

2. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

That looks like a nice amp. Would Realistic Minimus 7 or Optimus Pro X44AV be too low-end? I use a pair of the latter to good effect in a nearfield-like space. There was a discussion (c. 2012) of '70s speakers right in this forum: Best speakers of the 70's?

Soundgarden likes this.
  3. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

My system for most of the 70's was a Marantz 1090 with a pair of Large Advent speakers. Would be a great match for your 1060 if you don't need to use a small speaker.

Soundgarden likes this.
  4. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I loved my Marantz 1040 with a pair of Marantz Imperial 6’s.

Don’t get the 7’s- they were not nearly as good.

Soundgarden likes this.
  5. Soundgarden

The Smaller Advents are a better size for this situation. How do you feel about those?

6. Soundgarden

Also, some reviews suggest the Dynaco A-25 here.

7. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Why this please?
    Doesn’t matter.
    Any of 30 W max. 8 Ohms. That you like.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Klipsch Heresy or Heresy II. Dynaco A-25. AR6, AR4. Efficient and easy to drive as you only have 30 watts/channel output.

Soundgarden likes this.
  9. Soundgarden

I've got some Heresy Is with my main system - hooked up to a 2265b. Love them/it. Shooting for something smaller for the bedroom. Here are the leading contenders so far:

Acoustic Research AR-4xa (The "a" seems best reviewed but harder to find)
    Dynaco A-25
    Smaller Advent
    KLH 17
    Marantz Imperial 6
    AR6

I'm in no rush right now. Just gathering perspective and date. As for why "period specific" just a silly notion that they'd pair well and look good.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Not necessarily so silly, though there is no synergy just because it's all designed in the same era. Much newer speakers can be much more accurate overall, but will have a different sound. Speakers that old, main problems are rotting foam surrounds, cones that have sagged due to gravity, capacitors in the crossover may not be working well.

Honestly I'm feeling some Celestion 100s would be a lot more modern, not huge, very neutral,* and and go well with that Marantz. Otherwise I incline towards the AR or Advent, but really I would say assuming used prices not insane, buy and try and if you don't like sell.

*(the pair I bought which my dad has now included measurements flat within like a decibel over most of the frequency range, and sounded like it)

Soundgarden likes this.
  11. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

JBL L19 & 19a
    Smaller Advent
    Dynaco A25

Soundgarden likes this.
  12. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I used Polk Series 5 monitors from the 80's with my 1060 for many years. I gave my original 1060 to my oldest son and he uses it with Polk Series 4.5 or 5 junior...can't remember which but very similar to regular 5's. I see 5's all the time for $50 to $150.

I use a Marantz 2230, which is very similar to a 1060, with Klipsch KG4's.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Soundgarden likes this.
  13. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Smaller Advent is 4 ohm. And less efficient than the Large Advent is (which is 8 ohms). KLH 17 is on the list I'd recommend. Marantz Imperial 6 is a good match./

Soundgarden likes this.
  14. Soundgarden

Based on size, era, cost, and availability, these seem like the best options:

Acoustic Research AR-4x
    Dynaco A-25
    KLH 17

15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a pair of 70's Pioneer HPM-40's that sound pretty good with everything.

Soundgarden likes this.
  16. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I grew up with that exact amp and Smaller Advents and thought they sounded great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.