DCC Archive Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 120dB, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident Thread Starter

My JBLs finally gave out after many years of reliable blasting. Trouble is, they don't offer the reconing kits anymore so I'm in the market for something new. The last thing I heard that I thought had an authentic, transparent soundstage were the Vandersteen 1C's. I don't really want to invest in anything quite that bulky (or expensive) so if anyone has any recommendations for smaller
    bookshelf speakers without much colorization
    please send them my way. The system is used 100% for audio (no home theatre/DVD applications) mostly playing analog vinyl and audio CDs (including audiophile) at moderate to very loud volume levels. What
    is good out there these days? Thanks...

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have some Polk Audio RT-55s that are highly rated and they do sound good. No overbloated mids, smooth highs, solid bass, and transparent with terrific imaging. They are so good that my wife also has a pair hooked up to her stereo. I actually use them for mixing and mastering.

3. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

What about the Paradigm Studio 20, or the Triangle Titus? Any comments?

4. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

A friend of mine has the Paradigm Studio 20's and I love their sound. Hook them up with a nice sub and IMHO you have a very respectable system.

5. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Try posting your question over in the speaker Asylum at audioasylum.com

You'll get plenty of opinions there....

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Lemonadekid,

In the January 2002 issue of Stereophile, there is a great review (for them) on page 91 of the JMLab Chorus 706 Loudspeakers.

Now, I have not heard them! But the price ($450. list for the pair) sounds like a great deal. Let's say 15% off, and zowie!

Sounds like they have midrange magic and all the good things (like vocal reproduction) that small speakers do so well, plus some other goodies.

Just a thought!

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I use Axiom M3Ti bookshelf speakers, and could not be more pleased with the results ... especially for the incredibly low price.

If you buy 'em direct, you have 30 days to decide whether or not you like 'em ... if not, send 'em back. Check 'em out: http://www.axiomaudio.com.

This speaker got rave reviews from Goodsound.com (http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/axiom_m3ti.htm) and Soundstage.com (http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_millennia3ti.htm). I vouch for 'em in a big way ...

8. Krink

Krink Forum Resident

If you haven't heard the new line from NHT...give them a listen. The SB2 lists for $399. Great bargain for the sound you get. They completely redesigned the inside and outside from the Super Series, and they sound better too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.