Speaker Stands and Clean Sand / Lead Shot Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

No need to use it at all. Lead is cheap, it is toxic and it is eventually going to be a problem, perhaps not in my life time but eventually. Steel shot may cost more and be slightly less dense but why not. But YMMV.

Shawn and Mike-48 like this.
  2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Steel is far less effective than lead as a shield against gamma radiation in fallout shelters.

And by the by, paraffin wax is a great shield against the initial neutron burst.

Jeff

:)

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

How many pounds of kitty litter to fill an average 24” high speaker stand?

4. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Lead is 40% more dense than steel. Significant difference.

F1nut likes this.
  5. jeffmackwood

I'm also not keen on having a pile of steel shot (potentially) eventually rust into a solid blob. Lead shot can always be poured back out and re-used when transporting whatever was filled with it.

Additionally (and I'm only speculating here) there is likely less mechanical damping provided by steel over lead, not just because of the additional mass, but because of steel's inherent propensity to "ring" in comparison to lead.

As with any "toxic" substance, one must exercise care when handling lead (I always use disposable gloves and an air mask), and ensure that it is contained / not mobile.

Jeff

F1nut likes this.
  6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

You nailed it Jeff. Only thing better than lead is lead and sand backfilled.

displayname and F1nut like this.
  7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Anybody else use slag? I got turned onto this years ago. Slag, when cooled by water in a foundry, forms small, glassy balls, bigger than sand but smaller than shot. It's non-toxic, dense, and easy to work with. In the past I've found it in builder's stores since ground-up slag can be used to make strong, stable cement.

I'd love to know how it compares to lead for weight. Slag is heavier than sin.

8. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I find steel shot works best when it has a cadmium plating. You get all of the advantages of steel without losing the health hazards of lead - win/win.

gregr likes this.
  9. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Anyone have a response to this question?

Also is the point of filling the stands to add weight or to close up the hollow areas? Both?

Irisaurus Rex likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

I'm not sure how anyone could answer without knowing which stand, they are all different, and would have different internal volumes to fill. My stands linked earlier in the thread used about 35 pounds of #7.5 lead shot per side.

Typically the stands are filled to help absorb vibrations, but it is also done to make the stand more stable and increase coupling to the floor with the added weight, which is one reason the lead shot makes such a good filler, it has about 10 times more weight per volume than cat litter, and because it is a relatively soft metal, is also great for dissipating the vibrational energy in the stands.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    F1nut likes this.
  11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m using Dynaudio Stand 6...not sure if anyone else has these or something similar.

[​IMG]

12. Davey

Best I can say is to just take some measurements and calculate the approximate internal volume. Cat litter seems to weigh about 40-45 pounds per cubic foot based on a quick web search, so I'd guess something less than 5 pounds per side.

13. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

There are a wide variety of sizes available. Sizes #8 & #9 are smaller than 7.5. Many larger sizes also.
    Personally I would use sand because of environmental considerations, especially if you have children.

14. Davey

That's fine, I don't have kids in the house and the lead is sealed in the stands so isn't an environmental concern in the house for me either, but I understand the concerns of others.

15. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

you know what's awesome about filling the stands? nothing! :) seriously, can't tell a difference. maybe it's because I don't listen a higher volumes. my stuff sounds great, not sure if there's really a difference. then again, it cost me $2.60 and about 20 minutes of time, so no biggy...

16. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

I noticed no difference either in the sound. Speaker cabinets don’t vibrate all that much to begin with. The main advantage IME is to change the otherwise top heavy weight distribution, which is a risk around pets and children.

McGuy likes this.
  17. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

well, considering lately i dislike both...

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I was surprised to find that you can't buy lead shot around here - at Walmart - a few years ago.
    It's outlawed by the state and found to be too dangerous due to the potential for poisoning the environment if disposed of.
    But they did have a couple of assault weapons on display for sale super cheap.
    I passed.

qwerty likes this.
  19. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

20. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

21. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Has anyone ever tried pea gravel? Are the individual particles too large to pack tightly enough?

It just seems easier to work with than sand, and a lot less likely to leak out and make an abrasive mess on the hardwood floors.

22. jeffmackwood

No but... I suspect it would be less than effective given its density relative to lead shot.

Thought experiment: your left hand is completely filled with "pea gravel." Your right hand is completely filled with No. 6 lead shot. Hold both of your arms fully extended in front of you for as long as you can. Which arm will stay up the longest? Use that one to fill your speakers.

Jeff

F1nut likes this.
  23. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

Haha thanks. But I’m gonna stick with sand or kitty litter. Or pea gravel :D

24. Davey

You can also use a trash bag to line the stand and hold the sand to prevent leakage. I did that in a wood stand I used at one time, but it just had one central chamber in each stand.

25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Mass, the more the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.