Speaker Stands and Clean Sand / Lead Shot Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mds, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Uotila

J.Uotila Forum Resident

Atacama Atabites works well.

2. mds

mds Forum Resident Thread Starter

Make sure you wash the hand that held the lead shot before you lick you figures :bone: :nyah: :bone:

3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

If you were to buy and read a copy of my book you'd see that I worked in nuclear research in the '80s, and following proper hazardous materials protocols became ingrained in me. :righton:

That, and I used to walk around with a pocket full of mercury when I was a kid. :yikes:

Gumboo likes this.
  4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Are you nuts? Fruit loops make the sound way too sweet, it is unnatural. Lead on the other hand makes the sound too heavy. I prefer white sand from Pensacola, reminding me of some good times there. Gives the music a light, slightly bleached tone I enjoy. I commission too-drunk-to-know-better Spring Break college students to steal the sand for me.

I used to fill my stands with the ground up bones of enemies I'd gotten rid of, but then that DNA testing started getting accurate and I figured I'd best get rid of that evidence...

displayname, F1nut and DonnyMe like this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

If that's not typo, what did you mean? Wait...maybe we don't really want to know...:laugh:

6. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Apologies for the off topic response. I suppose the next minor problem to solve is how to play records after the initial EMP pulse. A hand cranked 78 player perhaps? :)

7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

No reason that you couldn't design a 33 player using the same spring loaded energy source.

Ric-Tic likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

This amazing picture was all over the web a year ago in the aftermath of the Aleppo bombings ...

[​IMG]

9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

A very powerful image.

10. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Oh, I'm sorry, but that picture just makes me sad. Technically, it is an excellent picture, and I can see why you have posted it. However, given its context, I would not call it amazing. I do hope the poor old man got a little bit of relief from the hardships of a civil war by listening to music and enjoying his pipe.

11. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, lead shot is unavailable. When I was constructing my sand filled plinth for my Thorens I could not find it anywhere. The ONLY lead shot I could find was .50 cal ball ammunition for black powder rifles. It would have cost me over $500 to fill the plinth! Play sand worked really well, and my plinth only weights 30lbs. My speaker stands have 2 holes ( for speaker cable ), one at the top and one at the bottom. The covers are not tight enough to keep the sand in, so it's a no go. But since I am now using KG4's it's not a issue.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

You can tryputting the sand into stockings, pantyhose, etc. :righton:

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You can order it online from any number of sources.

chili555 likes this.
  14. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Well it's water under the bridge now. Plinth is done and I moved on to KG4's.

FWIW sand worked fine for the plinth, more than enough mass. The Thorens is a giant killer now.

Bubbamike likes this.
  15. Nick U

Nick U Member

Someone said they had great results using poultry grit, which is essentially crushed granite. Any thoughts about that? Thanks.

16. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

I used up about 20kg.

17. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be dusty? Kitty litter (non-clumping) is cheap, non-toxic and easy to use. :righton:

18. Nick U

Nick U Member

You may be right! Thanks for the suggestion.

basie-fan likes this.
  19. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

do you know what decoupling means?

if you have decoupling between stands and speakers, what in the stand will by definition not matter at all

lots of mumbo jumbo in the "hi end" stands

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Even if equipment is "decoupled", it is a good idea to reduce resonance in the base. Filling an enclosure or support reduces resonance.
    Don't fill it with "mumbo jumbo" though. :winkgrin:

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes Murph, but as it applies to speakers and stands, it doesn't negate the need for fill that can actually damp vibration. It's not as though "decoupling" takes the stand mass out of the equation.

Fruit Loops eh? Yeah, good luck with that.

22. murphythecat

most good stands are already non resonant, skylan are made of plastic tubes, and the good un's in metal should not be resonant.

IF you decouple the speakers from the stands, whats in the stand will not matter unless you use bad stands.

what really mattes here is decoupling. not if you use sand, cat liter or rocks. probably shouldnt use fruity loops though

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

That would be the case if the decoupling resulted in no surface to surface contact.

24. murphythecat

decoupling: no transmission of vibration from the speakers to the stands

25. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

isnt that impossible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.