Speakers as baggage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike-48, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self Thread Starter

We're going on an extended vacation next year . . . I plan to take a small system, based around my Harbeth P3ESRs. We were going to drive -- easy -- but now, we are flying. How best to get the speakers to California?

They can go as extra luggage when we fly, either in the original carton or that + an outer box, or I can ship them, say by FedEx Home Delivery. Having seen how the airlines treat luggage, I am leaning towards FedEx. But going with us would be more convenient.

Another option is to sell the small, used integrated I bought for this, get a pair of Vanatoos, and cut the risk down by transporting something much cheaper.

Tips, opinions, experiences, please!

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Shipping is expensive! And so is luggage-my kid got tagged $150 for a 3rd bag coming back from college. I'd get something mid-sized, powered, take in luggage. Or (depending where you are going) order to have delivered there to cut at least one shipping fee.

3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Do you really want to let baggage handlers throw these around? Instead why don't you pack them really well and have them shipped by ups or fed ex after you get to your destination? These are pretty expensive, correct?

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Your luggage isn't ensured in any real way. Baggage handlers can just either destroy, lose, or steal it with zero repercussions to them. There's no way I'd ever recommend doing this.

Now, bearing in mind carriers like FedEx and UPS do have insurance, proving the damage occurred during the shipping process *and* attempting to get your compensation are an uphill battle at best (nevermind getting the proper item's worth as compensation), it's better than nothing.

The faster speed with which your package is sent, the fewer hands it goes through and the fewer days it stays on the road. Ship those speakers with the fastest service you're comfortable using, document everything, and insure for the full amount.

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  5. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

How long is "extended"? Some manufacturers have a 45 day return policy. You could have them delivered to your California "home",listen to them,and send them back if you're not happy.:uhhuh:

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I like the way you're considering how to take along a transportable speaker system on vacation. I just packed up my transportable headphone system for an extended visit to Georgia. I slimmed down my headphone needs so that it fits in carry-on luggage. It's a soft side carry-on suitcase. OK for carry-on. But not something I would send as checked baggage. If it had to be checked baggage I'd get a large Pelican style case and custom cut the interior foam to fit the gear and protect the gear.

Look for a large Pelican style hard shell case. Pelican is one brand. There are others that are less expensive. They make large ones that would be big enough to fit the P3ESR speakers and additional gear. Pack the gear like the case is going to get dropped and crushed and have a bowling ball dropped on top of it.

7. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I think I'd just buy a Bluetooth speaker. It's not stereo, I get it, but it seems like the best compromise/risk ratio to me personally.

Ntotrar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.