Speakers for computer?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TSWisla, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I think the Alpha PS-1 and Klipsch systems are great suggestions.
    I've found a conventional volume control is essential as levels vary widely on the internet, so the levels can be adjusted instantly, much faster than jogging an arrow key. I believe both systems suggested above come with a volume controller.

My system is more "old school", a 10 wpc Pioneer SA-500 and currently Celestion 3's ... but modified by me for flatter response in the near field. Just for fun, I tried a pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers, refurb'd with a fast cap and was surprised, much better than expected. These would require a sub. The SA-500 amp is diminutive in size, but not lacking in sound quality, a valid hi fidelity component. It connects from the headphone out on my laptop.. simple, easy, very happy with the sound.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. Lenny

Lenny Forum Resident

I use an Altec Lansing ACS340 together with an Audioquest Dragonfly. I think the sound is spectacular for a desk computer. The Altec can be picked up used on eBay for very little money.

3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have the A2's with stands(they make a difference) and also use the audioengine D1 DAC. sounds nice

4. I have Focal XS Book in an office system at work and they're pretty good. I found they didn't sound great when I had them hooked up the the headphone output on my laptop at work, but they sounded much better when I plugged them into my LH Labs Geek Out 720 USB DAC. I like the Book because they sound very good (good resolution, good imaging, neutral, smooth mids and highs & not fatiguing) and they're quite robust into the mid 50Hz range so they don't need a subwoofer to be enjoyable.

I use Fostex PM0.4N 4" studio monitors with a Pinnacle SubSonic which is a tiny dual opposed 6" subwoofer in my other office at work with a second LH Labs Geek Out 720 DAC and that system sounds pretty good too. They're not the most refined or smooth in the mids or highs but they have pinpoint imaging and throw a pretty wide soundstage. This is mostly for pretty low level listening.

In my home desktop system I use KEF Egg Wireless with a Totem Kin 8" Subwoofer. They have built-in amplification and a built-in DAC and I was a little worried about it's quality, but this system sounds the best of all my desktop systems by quite a margin. They sound very open and precise. They throw a very nice wide, tall soundstage that actually portrays a bit of depth. I just set JRiver to convert everthing (including DSD) to 96/24 (which is the highest resolution the internal DAC can handle) and all is well. I do have some GIK Acoustics room treatments in that system catching the first reflection points that also give it an edge over the other systems.

I'd rate them KEF Egg Wireless (as long as you're using a sub) > Focal XS Book > Fostex PM0.4N

If you're not planning on using a sub, I wouldn't go with the KEF Egg as there really isn't much there below ~ 100Hz.

All of these desktop systems were purchased slightly used in essentially mint condition. Pretty much everything was purchased at a price point significantly less than half of MSRP. I know that not everyone is comfortable doing that, but it really stretches out what you can get at any given budget and gets you much better sound for the dollar.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    The FRiNgE likes this.
  5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I bought off brand speaker stands from Amazon. Guess what? They sent me OEM Audioengine ones for half the price. Got to agree, not worth $30, but $15.49 isn't bad. Link Just checked, they went up a dime.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I have both a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 set, and a pair of M-Audio AV 40 powered desktop "monitors". I like the Klipsch better for my computer, because I can control the bass more easily and the left satellite has a line-in (very handy for my FiiO DAP). The satellites also take up much less room on my workstation table.

I now have the AV 40s hooked up to my TV, where of course they sound far better than the built-in speakers.

7. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I used a pair of Roland m8(older models) studio monitors for 14 years, til the amp went out. Good speakers, sounded very good!!

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

9. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I just got this set, Logitech Z625 2.1 Speaker System. I have seen them around for 160 bucks but from here I got them for $133.42 and free shipping/no sales tax.
    400Watts of Peak/200Watts RMS power delivers crisp sound and thundering bass.
    Connect up to three compatible devices via the optical, 3.5mm or RCA inputs
    Logitech Multimedia Speakers | Z625 | BuyVPC.com

Donal likes this.
  10. mds

mds Forum Resident

What did you settle on? I bought the JBLs for my PC and liked them so much bought a second pair and stands for my bedroom TV. Sounds incredible. Deeper bass add a sub very simple. Two built in amps in each speaker. One drives tweeter the other the woofer.

11. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

twin Homepods... (not really facetious - DSP is or will be the way to go)

I use 2 Monitor Audio BX8's (no sub) - they sound good, but I am not sure how much better/worse than other options... mine are jammed into corners (and have rear facing ports) but I don't know what acoustic suspension speakers or powered front/side ported speakers might be better

you do want to consider location...

12. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I have a pair of Audioengine A5s and they are the best computer speakers I've had. Started with the Swann 200s, they died and I bought a pair of MAudio M40s. They were good but MAudio used cheap capacitors and they died at the end of the warranty and MAudio didn't want to hear from me. I then bought the Audioengines and haven't looked back. A speaker good enough to be the main speakers in a very modest system. They aren't my Harbeth's but I could live with these easy enough.

ynnek4 and Juan Matus like this.
  13. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

1. What do you mean by “Speakers for computer”? Computer is simply one of different “signal sources” for a sound reproduction system.

2. “Speakers”, I’d say are subject to choose for a sound reproduction system independently of “sources”. But according to “reasonable money / best parameters for the money” ratio.

If there is already an amplifier good for you, they SHOULD fit the “nominal power” and “nominal impedance” of the amplifier.

And the “nominal power” of the amp coupled with the “sensitivity” of speakers should be sufficient for the room size.

3. So, you compose your sound system and then connect the “LINE OUT” of your computer internal sound card to a “LINE IN” of your amplifier.

4. FM-radios, CD and DVD players/recorders, turntables, TVs, camcorders, portable players, karaokes, smart-phones etc. etc. … are all you wish other “sources” for your sound system.

anorak2 likes this.
  14. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Computer is also a big source of EMF - many speakers are shielded.

re #3 - sound cards are often pretty low in SQ

15. I think that most people's computer rooms are typically quite small, and there is usually a desk or work station with limited space. "Computer speakers" I think is typically referring to some type of compact, powered speaker. A lot of people, myself included, don't want large amplifiers or integrated amplifiers on their computer desk.

I've had a few different versions of "computer speakers" in my home desktop system from (too) large:
    [​IMG]
    ...to (too) small:
    [​IMG]
    ...and now I've finally settled on just right:
    [​IMG]

shadowlord and Sevoflurane like this.
  16. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

For those who have not abandoned this topic.
    Speakers may be “fed” by a computer in ANY room. Big or small. “Computer room” or not.
    A computer may be placed on a desk or NOT. In a limited space or NOT.
    And I think a sound system owner including a computer may wish to know how to combine correctly all his “sound sources” including his computer with his amplifier and speakers. And NOT to be oriented to search only for “compact, powered speakers”.
    And a lot of people, myself included, DO want amplifiers of their choice that could “deliver” a high quality sound, not limited by “compact, powered speakers” from all his “sound sources” including his computer, on their computer desk or anywhere they want.

With speakers placed anywhere they wish: on the floor, on a wall etc. …

I have such a system with my integrated amp “fed” by an FM tuner, my TV, Internet sound and Internet video sound, DVD recorder and player, my comp, and with my 3-way “floorstanders” for years…

So, I could only repeat my initial post about some key points to follow in order to combine loudspeakers with amplifiers and the listening room size.

anorak2 likes this.
  17. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

18. I know it's tough, but if you follow along you'll realize that's not what's being discussed here. What's clearly being talked about are DESKTOP speaker systems for computers.

I also have a main system in an acoustically treated room (my Desktop system is also acoustically treated FYI) being fed by a less noisy "computer" of sorts. An Auralic Aries Femto with linear power supply getting lossless and high rez files from Roon (NAS) and Tidal, but again that's clearly not what the discussion is here.

19. Fedot L

Fedot L Forum Resident

Really? Is the thread entitled “DESKTOP speaker systems for computers”? And not “SPEAKERS for computer?”.
    I have participated in this thread and I’ve written what I think about what a computer was as a “signal source” and what “speakers” were as the “tool” of transformation of electric signal of a computer into high quality sound.

Thus to me, it WAS and it IS what the discussion is here.

But whoever wants, may, sure, read only the posts of those who, TO YOUR MIND, have a right to discuss only small rooms and boxes.

20. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I use the mini-plug headphone jack with a splitter to two RCA input jack to my NAD 312 integrated amp. For speakers I use NHT Super Ones and an Allison Acoustic AL-10 subwoofer. I gave up on "computer" speakers long ago. I bought it all used and I have less than $300 into everything.

21. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I'm sorry I fail to find your system listed in your profile. Perhaps you could fill that in and then we could understand what you like.

22. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

I like the old Boston Acoustics, Harman Kardan, etc. You can frequently find a set with sub woofer and two satellite speakers for $20 or less. Excellent sound , in my opinion. Plug and play. No muss, no fuss.

23. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

Here is what is connected to my computer thru the headphone out jack. Well, it won't let me upload an image, so I found a link that shows a set like mine. Frequently these are found at garage sales and thrifts for not much. I love them. Full Boston Acoustics Micromedia 2.1 Multi Media/Computer Speaker System 01960 | eBay

24. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You need to post the photo on a image hosting site, you can't directly post photos to SHF.

Donal likes this.
  25. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

Thanks. I did not know that. I did wonder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.