Speakers with more details than Q Acoustics 3010i

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gasolin, Dec 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I now own a pair of Q Acoustics 3010i

Got them as a bf offer with about 30% off (had to try them much less in your face mids and highs + more bass than the 3000 non i)

It's a 4" woofer BUT my monitor /mixer adjusted and my sta-400d power amp just a notch above 12 o'clock it's perfectly loud and the bass it's not only good from the amp, the bass from the speakers are reallly good, no listning fatigue,no sharpness (upper midrange,lower treble just a tiny bit soft) and a good soundstage (and loud)

I just miss some details

What can give me the same comfortable sound and the same amount of bass or more and deep bass as the 3010i, at a low budget of 300-400 euros for a pair but with more details ?

2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Assuming the tweeter is not a piece of crap, my guess is that is down to the crossover transition from woofer to tweeter. That's quite a crapshoot at those prices. Let me turn the question around and ask "what would be available to you at those prices?"
    - And if you're buying without listening, buy from somewhere with a reasonable return policy
    - 4" woofers are really small, too small for much deep bass (though I'm glad you like the bass there is, sometimes the little woofers can surprise you, like the 4" ELAC Debut). Try to move up to 6"; it just takes moving air to make low bass sound pressure.

3. gasolin

Im only gonna mention speakers i could imagine could be better

If i streach my budget a litte Polk Audio Reserve R100 (steve guttenberg say they are not as good at higher levels (above 85db) as the R200), some say sweetspot isn't that high,big

Monitor audio bronze i don't think they sound as good as when they where speaker of the year in whathifi Monitor audio bronze 50

Mabye concept 20 (a little more expsensive than the polks since the polks are still on sale with with a discount) Lack the bass of the 3000i?

Rega Kyte (demo) i just don't think they do it in the bass, same price as the concept 20, concept 20 is not as expensive in Denmark as in uk

Kef Q150 is for sale for around 350 for a pair but the highs should be a little to much, agressive, ugly with a cover and hate the pronounced logo in the top

Have had the Misson LX 3 MKII sharp upper midrange and lacking bass despite being big

Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 i think are a sidegrade to the missions (www.i-fidelity.net regards the q-acoustics 3000 as better speakers than the diamond 12)

Fyn Audio F-301 but i don't think they are better, look at the measurements not flat at all but realtive cheap atm Fyne Audio F301 loudspeaker Measurements

System Audio Aura 1 small compact danish spakers older model only one shop has it in stock, i think it's discontinued

Q Acoustics Q 3010i: Seite 4 - i-fidelity.net

[​IMG]

4. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 or 12.2

kanguru85 likes this.
  5. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, the smaller the woofer the more strain trying to put out bass. I'd live with what I had until I could save up and try R200. Polk has very solid engineering-that doesn't guarantee they will sound great to YOUR ears in YOUR listening space but it's a start. There is also a sale on Q Acoustic 3050i which would definitely extend your low end. eBay USA pricing is not much abover your budget; Q's page frustratingly says SALE but shows no pricing, grrrr

6. gasolin

Have heard the wharfedales are also not the most detailed speakers and that the q acoustics should sound better

7. gasolin

Q acoustics 3050i won't gi me more detail and are to expensive,big for my desk

8. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Could it be the source or other issues, which does not provide wanted details ?
    Those 3010i are not bad.

9. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

better electronics? what are you using?

10. gasolin

No not at all, it's just the speakers who are not super detailed but very comfortable to listen to, it's not like i want a brighter sound, just more details

Higher tier inakustik usb cable (around 50 euros), Topping D10 Balanced, roland balanced and non balanced black series trs-trs or rca -trs,Behringer henyx copntrol 2 usb (really good alternative to an expensive pre amp),
    IMG Stage line STA-400D amplifier with Hypex module, Canare 4s11 speaker cable, Q acoustics 3010i on Deluxe Tilting Desktop Monitor Stands by Gear4music and a lot of different feet, ikea cutting boards +
    ISOTEK EVO3 INITIUM power cable for the amp.

fcdvpds likes this.
  11. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

That's a very interesting system. I would definitely put any additional money in the electronics. Changing your dac to a 2nd hand Chord Hugo or Hugo 2 if yo can find would definitely sky rocket the details / definition you are getting. I have never heard that amplifier but I guess something like a Rega Brio will retrieve way more detail from your system.

Are you using a computer for playback? That can be a huge issue... Anyways, just opinions, I can't see how a modern speaker can be the limiting factor until you reach a very disproportional quality difference in the component side.

don't forget, great speakers with cheap electronics will show how poor the components are. great electronics with cheap speakers will show how good the speakers are.

12. gasolin

That's a very interesting system. I would definitely put any additional money in the electronics. Changing your dac to a 2nd hand Chord Hugo or Hugo 2 if yo can find would definitely sky rocket the details / definition you are getting. I have never heard that amplifier but I guess something like a Rega Brio will retrieve way more detail from your system.

Can i get a 2nd hand Chord Hugo or Hugo 2 for €400 ?

It's the speakers

Opinion on IMG Stage line STA-400D amplifier with Hypex modules

Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS / REVIEW: Topping D10 Balanced (D10B) DAC. Simple, no-nonsense USB DAC, excellent balanced sound quality.

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Im using a pc

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  13. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

They are floorstanders, so that's a bit of an understatement;)

14. gasolin

Replaced my 3010i's with my argon alto 5 mkII and definitely gained in clarity in the highs, despite the size difference 4" vs 5.25" the 3010i's somehow have better bass, more bass, the lower midrange sounds a little fuller on the argons but more natural on the 3010i's .

Theres more of the highs on the argons, but im missing a little more bass, compared to the 3010i's, mabye more dynamic from the argons

So more of the highs from the argons from the 3010i's and more of the bass from the 3010i's on the argons, no i don't need a subwoofer for my argons

Both are loud enough for my needs with the argons having an edge in power

15. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I think personally a better DAC may well be a good quick solution, and buy you a lot of time to think about maybe an amp change down the line….
    The new Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 200m is £450 in the UK, but I don’t know what the Euro price would be…. But the impression I get from reviews (and I own the older Dacmagic Plus which is great) is that it’ll be a keeper for an amp upgrade, and even a speaker upgrade further down the line. A potential future tweak for the DAC, which may cost half again though, would be a half decent linear power supply. I’ve not been able to do that yet for my DAC, but so many people say they bring out more detail, less harshness, bigger soundstage, better bass etc, and saves a full DAC upgrade for a while.
    Second alternative which may be better for your budget is find a refurbished or not-to-old second hand Dacmagic Plus for half that cost or less, and buy a linear power supply for it from the likes of MCRU: Home - MCRU .
    I reckon keep the speakers, I like the Q acoustics I’ve heard, my partner has the bigger 3030i and a good friend has smaller ones than yours, and they both sound really good for their size/price.
    Happy hunting!

fcdvpds likes this.
  16. gasolin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.