Speed Control Issue With Rega Planar 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bruce Burgess, May 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member Thread Starter

Lately I've been having problems with the Neo power supply, when I switch to 45 rpm. Sometimes the player stops completely. Other times, it plays fine for a while and then stops.

Before contacting the seller, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has encountered this problem and successfully fixed it. I really don't like the idea of shipping delicate equipment, unless it's absolutely necessary.

With the potential for a sagging plinth and this speed control issue, I'm really starting to regret my purchase. I've had my P3(2000) for 17 years and it still works perfectly.

2. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

Hi Bruce. A number of us fellow P6 owners have experienced some sort of issue with the Neo PSU. HERE is a good forum thread as an example. Many were able to address the problem with a firm re-seating of the DIN cable connecting the power supply to the deck. Make sure the collars on the cable lock in to place (sounds simple but even I had failed to do so in the past). I’ve also read that some folks actually toggle the 45rpm selector off and on a few times proactively to avoid any slowdowns. Not sure if this clears some sort of charge from the switch or what...not an electrical engineer...but something others have noted. I now do this at the start of a listening session and haven’t had issues for awhile, which I did even after making darn sure the cable was properly connected (and I’ve owned 2 P6’s which both had finicky Neos).

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Not heard of this before.
    If you dont feel youre getting enough out of the P6 in general then maybe its not such a crazy idea to just return it and stick with the P3. Use the money for a great new cart instead perhaps.

4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Hi @Bruce Burgess, yes as @jheyesen mentioned a few owners didn’t get the connector in fully - my friend didn’t, but this is more likely to be a static issue on the switch.

I'm not sure if Rega have implemented a long term fix yet, I suggest contacted your dealer, but this is a direct quote from Rega's Paul Rigby:

"It appears to be due to a build up of static in the switch if it has not been used for a period time.

Prior to a long term production solution a quick and simple fix is to activate the switch(s) vigorously about a dozen times to clean the contacts."

Obviously turn the NEO off first!!

Hopefully you should be back up to speed in no time at all.

trd likes this.
  5. Bruce Burgess

Thank you. As soon as you mentioned static, I realized that this is probably the problem. For several weeks, I have been experiencing static problems, as well. It never occurred to me that there was any connection between the static and the speed issue. I did as you suggested and then played a couple of singles to test it. Both played perfectly and there was no static. Hopefully, it will stay that way. If not, I will at least know what to do.

I always find it good to consult this website before panicking and shipping my equipment off. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

6. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I had been in the market for a Planar 6 and the sagging plinth issue completely shut that idea down. Now this, and judging from replies, it's not an isolated issue. Thank you for posting, as it reaffirms my decision to NOT purchase a P6.

Kundalini likes this.
  7. Randoms

It is good to have faith in any product and company. Rega have replaced the very few plinths that have sagged and replaced some switches on the NEO.

It is many years since I was a Rega dealer, but their customer service in all the years I dealt with them was second to none - I'm sure they will quickly resolve this.

I hope you have many years of fault free listening with whatever alternative you choose.

dennis1077 likes this.
  8. Bruce Burgess

That's good to know. I contacted my dealer and he assured me that my problem would be taken care of. He also assured me that my problem and the plinth issue are pretty rare. I am hopeful that my speed control issue may have been resolved. I am monitoring it. If all goes well, I won't need to send it in for repair.

I can understand how such problems can make someone reluctant to purchase a P6. It would be very helpful to know what percentage of turntables have these issues.

Randoms likes this.
  9. Randoms

The response from your dealer does not surprise me in the least, though its obviously good to confirm that Rega and their dealers continue to give excellent support.

AFAIK, pushing the button in and out every few months (if required) is a permanent temporary fix!

I'm sure that no manufacturer would give you the numbers of rogue machines, but the plinth issue seems to be somewhat smaller than the number of non-Rega owners, for whatever reasons, on this and another forum seem to want people to believe.....

MGW likes this.
  10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

I don't own one, but I can vouch for the DIN connector... those connectors are known for intermittent connection issues.
    Checking your DIN connector is your best bet for a quick fix.

Randoms likes this.
  11. Randoms

@dennis1077, how do you feel about the Rega Planar 6 now?

Rega for decades have had an excellent reputation for (the rarely needed) customer care.

Despite best efforts, all manufacturers can have an occasional issue - some go further than others to resolve it and Rega have traditionally been one of those companies.

dennis1077 likes this.
  12. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I had the same problem with my Linn Lingo 1 - unplugging and re-fastening of the DIN plug usually did the trick.

13. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

I just can't see spending that kind of money for a component with widespread issues. I'm not completely turned off to Rega as a company. I had been torn between a Planar 3 or going all out and buying the Planar 6. I'll likely purchase the cheaper model when it's time to upgrade.

14. Bruce Burgess

Let me be clear that I did not start this thread to bash the P6 or Rega in general. In addition to the P6, I have a P3(2000), a Rega Elicit amp and the Aria phono stage. All are excellent products. There are a few people, who have it in for the Rega brand, for whatever reason. I am not one of them. However, I have to admit that I was starting to second guess my purchase. I feel much better after reading some of the posts and talking with my dealer.

My reason for starting the thread was to find out if anyone had experienced similar problems with their Neo and if they were able to fix the problem, without sending it out for repair. I tried pushing the button in and out and it seems too work. If I have to do that every few months, it is not a big deal.

Randoms likes this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

There are Rega people and Technics people. I belong to the latter group. Obviously Rega tables appeal to certain people for whatever reasons but nothing about them appeals to me.

16. Randoms

There are also music lovers who appreciate both turntables.

sheffandy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.